Garmin Training API - TrainerRoad outside workouts coming to Garmin Edge headunits

Yes for the 530? Just about to buy one.

Really looking fwd!!!

You can now push TrainerRoad outside workouts to Garmin Edge head units. TrainerRoad Outside Workouts Now Push to Garmin Edge 🎉

7 Likes

Nice work team.

1 Like

I’m thumbs up for making this a TR feature too. Maybe independent run training plans come first. Hoping something is on the horizon for a fully automated training on running and swimming

I was hoping the API might open up a bit more. I’d just like to customise my run workouts with pre-set zones instead of typing in a numeric range each time and get them scripted instead of faffing with the UI.

Did my first TR → Garmin outdoor workout yesterday. With hills, wind, turns, changing surfaces, etc, I was immediately reminded how difficult it is to stay in a tight target power zone outdoors, and why indoor is probably best for precise training. That said, when the weather’s good, “outdoors” trumps “precision,” and I’m thrilled to take my TR training outdoors, even if the effectiveness is slightly diminished. In the past, I would abandon TR programming for the summer riding season. With Outdoor Rides, you guys have figured out how to keep me connected year 'round.

Overall, the early execution is pretty good. I still have a few kinks to work out on my end in terms of setting up a specific profile and data display fields. One thing I noticed right away, however, is that the Garmin edge 520 workout API doesn’t appear to like “ramped” intervals, where you steadily climb or descend power. The warmup for my ride, Ruskin, was “Ride for 12 minutes gradually raising your power from 112 watts to 214 watts.” Tough to track along with that on the Garmin, as the training display page only showed a target range of 112-214, and an average power for the entire interval. The original indoor Ruskin has 4 steps instead of a ramp, and, honestly, that would have worked better on the Edge.

1 Like

Can someone explain how to run Workout? I was trying twice and can not. Today I started Carpatian on my Garmin Edge 520. It says warm up 17 min. Ok, there was “lap” sign, I pressed it and went into intervals. Description said do 1+2 min 3 times and 9 mins rest. But after first series it went to second series- no rest. So I did all workout in 35 minutes, instead of 75 and no rest (((
What was wrong?

Nothing wrong with you! Could be something with how the workout has been set-up for offline, or a flaw with the Training API.

Rogers +2 had 0 steps, finished soon as I pushed the “Start” button. Had to do it manually. Used Edge 830.

Hmm. These seem to have stopped coming through to my calendar, or are at least taking a much longer time to appear.

For reference, earlier experience has been workouts showing up almost instantly. Everything here looks green.

Set up todays workout to be outdoor, and there’s no sign of it on either Garmin Connect or my device :confused: – which is a bit annoying as I was hoping it would have synced during my commute ready for me to head out the door on the bike.

Everything still seems to be connected permissions-wise, though I toggled the status of the ‘Workout’ sharing permission to see if that made a difference.

ETA: I did the workout indoors. Just visited GC and it had arrived :laughing: Ah well.

@Nate_Pearson did you get an answer regarding the Garmin watches?

They show up on my Forerunner 935.

1 Like

Does it work on edge 800?

I think the rule of thumb is that if the device supports custom ‘Workouts’ - i.e training you can create via Garmin Connect, then you should be good.

The training API works with the training/workouts section of Garmin connect so as long as you can push workouts from connect to your watch via either Garmin connect mobile or garmin express on pc.

Assuming it’s similar to fenix 5 software then to load a workout hit start → bike (or bike indoors) → options → my workouts and you will have to figure it from there as I have nothing loaded on the watch right now to see the rest of the steps.

Nate confirmed in a separate thread, and I can confirm that it works on the 935 as that’s what I’m using.

2 Likes