Garmin Rally Power Meter Pedals: Look Road, Shimano Road & MTB

Got a good deal on RS200 pedals, have seen some interesting things.

Summary:

1. first ride on rental bike (Checkpoint Shimano GRX), power seemed fine but weird L/R bias to the Right at end of ride, almost as if one legged pedaling for last 20 minutes
  2. second ride on my Tarmac, torqued to spec. Power seemed high by +10W and L/R bias to the Right at 41/59%
  3. third ride after rain, moved pedals to Giant Escape and torqued to spec. Power fine, but L/R bias to the LEFT !!! Two right biases and now a left bias. Crazy making.
  4. fourth ride on my Tarmac, L/R started around 45/55 and ended around 40/60. Dual recorded and MMP comparison looks fine. Called Garmin Support about another issue and did factory reset on 530 just in case.
  5. fifth ride Tarmac, L/R now 47/53% and somewhat reasonable. MMP comparison with Red/Quarq looks fine.
  6. seventh ride Tarmac, L/R again 47/53% and now the MMP comparison with Red/Quarq is a little off

Overall I’m ok that things seem to be settling down however still seeing a bit of a right side bias. My experience with Stages gen3, Force, and Red cranks is that my split is usually 49/51 or 50/50 or 51/49. and always between 48-52%.

Some details below if anyone is interested.

1. First used on a rented Checkpoint at BWR:

L/R looked ok until the end, ignore the mostly downhill stuff from 1:56:40 to 3:36:40. Serious right bias at the end, temp at start 44F and 64F at end.

1. Monday 13 March, freshly installed on my Tarmac, didn’t dual record:

Power seemed a little high (+10W) on this endurance ride, but I was pretty fresh. I’m usually close to 50/50 with Stages gen3, SRAM Force, SRAM Red, and this one ended up 41/59. Hmm, maybe they need to “settle in.”

1. Tuesday 14 March, moved them to my grocery store bike (Giant Escape):

Now I have a left bias! WTF! Crazy making. However its a fresh install on my grocery store bike, and it was raining. Maybe I was doing some funky left side gyrations. I dunno.

1. Wednesday 15 March, back on the Tarmac:

Started around 45/55 and ended around 40/60.

dual recorded with Red/Quarq crank:

RS200 a little higher peaks, Red/Quarq crank a little smoother:

and MMP looks good:

and my summary

Pretty much the same MMP for the 3.5 minute intervals.

1. Friday 17 March Endurance ride:

47/53 split, more reasonable now.

and MMP looks good:

and my summary:

1. Monday 20 March easy ftp cadence work:

looks good there. 47/53 split is ok but still a little biased to the right side compared to my experience with Stages gen3, Force, and Red cranks.

easier to see the bias in DCRainmaker Analyze:

and MMP:

Not bad, however not as close as previous outings.

@dcrainmaker I’m dual recording with 530 (RS200) and Wahoo iPhone app. Wahoo app I start recording 30-60 seconds early, and then upon arriving home forget to turn off the Wahoo app for a minute or five. With respect to the MMP chart, should I bother trimming the Wahoo recording?

and my summary:

hmm, no the RS200 are below on average and normalized power.