Feb 25th Podcast

I’ll accept nothing less than force crushing

3 Likes

It’s about the import of runs and swim… Right? RIGHT?

What else could be more important than this feature?

I can’t think of one thing that would be more controversial than run/swims!

8 Likes

And I was hoping for Dylan and @Jonathan in a cage match. I see @chad coming in over the top with a flying elbow.

3 Likes

Master Blaster Plans vs Tri Geeks Double Trouble Additions :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

What about implementation of a WKO/Xert style ever-updating FTP and suggested workouts. Uses previous workouts/rides, as well as history compliance to plans to give a plan you’ll be more able to complete perfectly.

4 Likes

Guess it might be memorable in the TR bubble, but most likely won’t nudge the training/coaching/research world.

I’ll wait for the TLDR.

12 Likes

:-1:

5 Likes

Uh yeah, that’s what I predict: :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

(Unless they get buddy Keegs on the SSBHV plan!)

Legitimate question: why are you even here? If a program doesn’t work for you then don’t use it.

22 Likes

Legit answer: cuz I pay my $/mo to utilise the entire TR suite. I’m a fan boi of the calendar and the workout catalogue, the forum somewhat, and never of the pod or the plans.

Do my dollars in TR’s pocket afford me the position to be critical of product/voice opposition to management? I like to think so.

Guess we’ll all know on 2/26 if the wow factor hit 11. :+1:t2:

10 Likes

8 Likes

Because he’s you two years from now.

You’re welcome to level the question at me though. I pay nothing.

8 Likes

Getting ready for this deep dive!

1 Like

Sure go ahead

1 Like

I know this question wasn’t directed at me, but as someone who has left TR for a coach, I’d like to answer anyway :grin:

Firstly, and probably the main one, there’s more than just TR relevant discussion here. Whilst there’s other places to go for that like r/Velo on Reddit, I think both platforms (reddit vs forums) provide unique discussion experiences, each with their pros and cons.

Secondly, TR got me into structured training. There’s no way I would have just started off with a coach right off the bat (funny now to think I ummed and ahhed about the monthly cost of TR to start with, vs how much I’m paying now) - and I probably would’ve fallen into paralysis by analysis if I’d tried to do things myself. TR provided an easy and engaging jump-in point, and I got some fantastic gains as a beginner.

However, I burned out in 6 months… Some of my own decisions contributed to that, sure, and if I see someone going through similar issues on here I do try and jump and in and provide some feedback around my experiences. But I think the TR plans / methodology also have a lot of room for improvement, and I hope that by providing constructive criticism on here, it might in some small way contribute to their quest for continuous improvement, and that in turn could help a lot of people, like other newbies, and those who aren’t privileged enough to be in a position to pay for quality individual coaching.

Also, my annual TR subscription hasn’t run out yet, so I’m still technically a paying customer. If they manage to fix the Workout Creator, and improve the workout-player experience to be on-par with or better than Zwift, I might even resubscribe, despite not using any of the workouts or plans - their calendar and power PR tools are both excellent in their simplicity and I will definitely miss them once I lose access. Also New PowerMatch is incredibly responsive compared to Zwift, so there’s that too.

17 Likes

Now, that is debatable. :laughing:

I look forward to hearing a coherent discussion on the other subject.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson, as a heavy TR user and fan of TR and the podcast I am really looking forward to learning a ton next week.

It seems that TR takes a different approach to structuring training plans than some coaches. A lot has been said in the podcast and on this forum about whether or not to bump from a LV to a MV or HV plan (if we have the extra time) or simply add endurance to the LV plan. Clearly, top level athletes have been successful with both approaches.

The question that many of us are so desperate to find the answer to, is not so much CAN I bump the number of days of intensity vs only adding endurance (I know I can), but SHOULD I do this?
Perhaps there’s asymmetric risk to consider with burnout being more damaging than under-stimulation.

and

If either can be beneficial for me, can TrainerRoad help me make this decision?

This is of course impossible for TR to do do perfectly, but as I’ve said before, I trust the guidance of @chad and your team more than anyone else.

8 Likes

@RexSkeleton
Looking forward to Feb 25. And FWIW I would gladly and openly support these guys again. Despite some points I’ve already made elsewhere, they are a class act and I think a very positive part of the cycling world. I want to see them win.

9 Likes

Would it be reasonable to expect a forum response following the podcast response? While this has been debated endlessly in the DJ thread, and I don’t want to sidetrack this topic, having no forum answer wouldn’t sit terribly well with me.

I’m more of a suplex guy, @DocSavage, but I appreciate the heroic image. :wink:

14 Likes