Feature Request: Add intervals during workout / switching to +1 versions

Extending cool/warm downs is supported on the phone app and coming for the desktop versions if I’m correct. However something else crossed my mind the other day. Some days during a workout, lets say a typical Sweet Spot workout, at the end you find yourself fully able to have done one or a couple of extra intervals. The current option I can think of is picking a +1/2/… version on purpose and quitting at the normal stopping point if it isn’t such a day. This however would mean that in most cases you are dropping out of your workout early, although you completed the planned workout at that point. While it probably doesn’t look that good looking back at your workout, I think the bigger issue is the mental image it leaves, practically you quit a workout. I also don’t really think it should be a very regular thing one would do, but for those amazing days an option to repeat a section on the fly may be a nice solution.

A couple of points that would need to be addressed:

• How many people would find use in such a feature?
  • More complicated to implement than the extended cool down, ‘What exactly do you repeat?’
  • Is this situation at its core a desirable thing? Extending planned workouts on good days.

I’d love to hear others opinions of this.

23 Likes

I would love a feature that would allow me to add extra intervals of the same type to the end of an in progress workout!

2 Likes

Such a feature would be really cool. Thought about that myself, would offer you so much flexibility. I don’t use the calendar or any of the other recent features. The only reason why I have a subscription is the desktop app. But this seems a little bit neglected.

Workout creator has these snippets. It would be nice if I could set up my own snippet library and load snippets into a ride. Let’s say I did a few threshold intervals, feel strong and want to add some tempo o/u. Just select the snippet and load it.

1 Like

Nice idea. Perhaps the way to approach it would be to change on the fly to the +1 / +2 / -1 versions. IF those versions exist. the problem is the changes made between the +1/+2/-1 versions – may not be able to go to the same point in time on the next version.

2 Likes

+1 I like this idea

1 Like

Yes! Love this idea. Sometimes I get on the bike thinking I’ve only got an hour to train, but my schedule changes and I have an extra 15-30 minutes and the legs to do another interval. Would love to be able to add an interval or set on the fly!

1 Like

+1 for this idea

The +1 versions aren’t always ‘another interval’. Some of them increase the intensity of the intervals or change the rest between them.

4 Likes

If I could add another related feature addition request. Having the option of letting the time continue to run during the rest period between intervals without having to continue pedaling. I like to get off and stretch or just walk around for the break but I don’t want to get back on the bike after 5 minutes of stretching to then have to complete the full rest period before the next interval.

I think you should achieve that by disabling the “Pedal to resume / pause” feature in the app.

2 Likes

Nice. Thanks.

Question that is related to this feature request, which I like.

I added an extra interval to my workout yesterday, but didn’t think to hit the extend cooldown button. So the workout end and uploaded, and didn’t capture my extra 18 min sweet spot interval. So that work is not captured in my daily/weekly TSS. I also recorded with Garmin and my Garmin ride has it. Garmin and TrainerRoad are connected, so I thought it might sync, but doesn’t.

Question is - Can I do anything to upload this ride to my TR calendar, and is there any feature other than extend cooldown I should be using or can be added?

You can upload manually via the Past Rides page.

But you will want to delete the TR ride first. They work hard to prevent duplicates, so you won’t often get a double.

Out of curiosity, how did you add an “extra” interval?

There is not current tool for adding more than an extended cool-down, and it you want different levels, you must use the Intensity adjuster manually to get that.

I am riding on a dumb trainer. Adding an extra interval is as simple as doing an extra interval. Really wish TrainerRoad wouldn’t end workouts on you. Seems like the workout should end when you quit pedaling, not the other way around. Or at least provide a pop up that says end now or something.

2 Likes

I see. Dumb trainer makes sense and is easy for doing anything in the extended times.

The workouts are set to a time because there are intended purposes to the workout, duration, and it’s place in the training plan. Seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to make them stop at the conclusion of the intervals and cool-down.

There is a provision to use the cadence for pausing the workout. Even with manual pause, you have the option to end the workout at any time during the workout.

I realize the ride has a specific duration, etc. But just like there is flexibility to increase ftp, or do a different version, this would add flexibility to the tool and capture the work that I am doing. I love riding my bike, even on the trainer. So it seems perfectly reasonable that I might want to ride a little longer.

I have used TrainerRoad in the past and am trying it again based on the added calendar and other functionality. I am considering an annual subscription to TR in place of my subscription to TrainingPeaks. I am 99.9% sure this aligns with TR’s business strategy. So if you are going to build your software to be an all encompassing training solution, you will be more successful if you add more flexibility to it. TrainingPeaks certainly does.

1 Like

I really like this idea. I was looking for it yesterday in fact.

Along the same lines, I would like to be able to subtract one on the fly if I wasn’t feeling it that day or I bit off more than I could chew for the week – I recognize I could stop pedaling, but I would still want to do the cool down perhaps.

Same here! Would be great to just be able to add an interval of the same type whenever I feel strong :O)

To miss out an interval just move the slider forward to the start of the cool down period.
That is how I manage most of my interval sessions - I just miss them out after the warm up :grin:

1 Like

Just a thought; is there a way add an extra interval at the end of a work out - in the same way you can extend warmup or cool down?

I know you can choose a +1 workout or increase intensity during a workout but sometimes you feel great (maybe I am getting fitter…hmm) at the end of a workout and feel like you can do another interval.

The other day I was unmotivated - after a few really hot days in Sydney. I choose the shorter workout. Struggled through the first few intervals. Halfway through the last interval, the tiredness left and felt fresh and strong, but it was the last interval.

Just a thought.