Favero Assioma - they spin too freely

I got the Assioma Duos for xmas, and have struggled to clip in due to how freely the pedals spin. This is especially bad when starting off on an upward incline, as you have to push off with more force, which causes the pedal to spin even more. I find myself looking down, trying to stop the pedal from spinning with my foot, and then clipping in. I had several close calls, usually in traffic, which has made me look for a solution. My previous pedals (Shimano 105 SPD-SL) would barely spin at all when pushing off. I wanted to make the Faveros behave the same way.

I ended up replacing the bearings with some cheap ebay bearings, which I packed with grease. This has increased the friction and the pedal now spins much less than before. It has made clipping in as easy as can be.

Here is a video that shows the results. I have next to no mechanical or DIY skills, so if anyone thinks I have violated some best practices, please let me know!

Parts list:

1. Thin walled 9mm socket to remove the spindle nut. I had 3 different 9mm sockets on hand, and none would fit the 13mm opening. I found this tekton socket, which has a 12.9mm outer diameter, and it fits.
  1. 10/15/4mm - inner bearings (2 per pedal)
  1. 6/13/5mm - outer bearings (1 per pedal)
  1. Park Tool Polylube
7 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I just got these pedals a couple weeks ago and notice that they spin forever. Was doing isolated leg drills last night and was amazed how fast the empty pedal would be spinning when I went to switch legs. Might have to give your method a try.

CeramicSpeed has left the chat.

9 Likes

I just finished my first long ride with the greased bearings in the left pedal. It works really well. No more clip-in anxiety.

No idea if that heavy grease will cause the bearings to wear out quicker, but at about $1 per bearing, even if it only lasts a few months I would be fine with that.

1 Like

Curious to learn more about bearings – how did you know what kinds to buy? I recently replaced my Assioma bearings because they wore out after a winter of riding. The official Assioma bearing replacement kit costs about $50 and now I feel like a chump for not buying 10x the number of bearings for less than half the price.

Not the OP, but I picked up the same bearings after reading about them in someone’s post or video about replacing worn bearings with a sealed model from eBay. They’ve been on my workbench since September; I suppose it’s time I actually do the replacement – although I’m much better now at clipping in even though these spin more than my prev pedals:)

Was also going to do the SPD body swap, but never pulled the trigger on the less expensive XPedos before they got scooped up…

I could give you a whole list of stuff where I should have pulled the trigger right away and missed out on stuff :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The main thing that matters in bearings is the size. I googled the Assioma kit, and found a site that listed the dimensions of the bearings. The ebay bearings I bought were an exact fit. In fact, before I greased them I installed them to see how they would perform, and they spun freely and smoothly just like the favero stock bearings.

No need to spend the $50 for the Favero replacement kit.

1 Like

Many thanks for this. You just have to breathe on mine and they start spinning. A real pain on group rides as everyone is 100 yds down the road before I can get clipped in sometimes. I’ll give it a go. Only need to replace them on one side though