Favero Assioma bearing replacements

The bearings in one of my pedals are absolutely shot. I took the pedal apart and there were just bits of broken metal in there. Really not impressed as these have only been used in the dry on my summer bike for a couple of years and I’m a feather-weight.

Anyway, that aside I’m now trying to source some new bearings in the UK. Nowhere has them and the price to buy them from Favero direct is £50, which I’m not willing to pay right now.

So, are there any options? I’m sure I read the pedals were based on an Xpedo pedal, or are the bearings the same as the bePro ones?

Would be nice to get the pedals back in action, but don’t want to pay that kind of money…

Maybe this thread could help you select / source alternates. I know they swapped for intentionally harder to rotate bearings but at least the size references could be useful to you?

1 Like

You can easily get the alternative ones in Amazon. But just be sure they’re high quality sources. (Such as MIJ instead of MIC)

3 Likes

Have a look on this website for the size of bearings you need.
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p156411/617002RSR-Budget-Rubber-Sealed-Thin-Section-Deep-Groove-Ball-Bearing-10x15x4mm/product_info.html

1 Like

They are the same as Xpedo (using the xpedo axle and body for the pedals). You even get the xpedo cleats with them, hint hint. XPEDO Bearing Kit XRKBR3 can be sourced for ~20€ or so. I got mine for 22€ + shipping from r2-bike.com That should be around 20-ish £ with shipping for you. You don’t get the metal cover sleeve and the threaded plug, but they are completely reusable.

1 Like

I posted before that I bought these from “bearingboys” in the UK… seem fine after 6 months or so.

Strange that your original ones are so worn? Maybe they were over tightened when assembled? I’d be tempted to drop Favero an email and see if they send you some. They will most likely say that they are a consumable so not under warranty but worth a go?

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. Just ordered a new set of generic bearings for £19. This is what was left of my existing bearings…

1 Like

Wow.

There is a lot more “sludge” on those than were on mine and I ride mine on my winter bike too. I’m sure that your new generic bearings will be fine - The official ones are OK but not super-premium or anything.

Yeh, weird. Honestly only used them in the dry though, and I’m not one to wash a bike if it doesn’t absolutely need it…

Got exactly these bearings and fitted them yesterday. All working lovely now.

I did waste about an hour trying to work out why there was play in the pedals after I reassembled them. I even took apart the good pedal to try and figure it out. Turns out the endcaps take up the play and aren’t just dust caps…

2 Likes

Yeah it’s the torque of 2 on the cap not the 9 on the nut that’s important. I realised this too late after I’d bought a more expensive torque wrench that could measure the anti-clockwise threaded nut.

2 Likes

Trying to find out why my left Assioma has play in it and if tightening the end cap solves my problem tomorrow I will be one happy man, thanks for this comment!

My left hand pedal bearings must be trashed, had some play in the for a while and started making some noise. Tried loosening the end cap and it’s just spinning. Pedals have not been touched before and are 9 months old. The cap must be threaded. Anyone else had this?

1 Like

I’ve not had that but I’m sure Favero will sort you out warranty wise - they will probably send you out a new pedal body and end cap which are not super expensive.

Your pedal won’t actually fall off because you will still have the nut holding it onto the spindle… but if the end cap is just spinning then you wont have any pre-load on the bearings.

1 Like

Just on this
Pedals 14 months old with 12k km done outside, plus whatever hours each week on turbo. Not sure exactly how many hours but in the region of 70 or 80 hours I’d imagine.
Bearings shot.
Put in new bearings (can’t torque the nut on drive side pedal to exactly 9nm but I’m sure I’m not far off with what I’ve tightened it to) but there is a tiny bit of play on the drive side once the end cap has been torqued to 3nm. I assume it’s OK to torque this to 4 or 5 nm to take the tiny bit of play out of it or should I just leave it with that tiny bit of play?

Shouldn’t be an issue but I have always found 1-2nm to be sufficient to remove play - could potentially indicate an issue elsewhere?

I can’t really think of what this could be though other than ensuring the new bearings are fully compatible, the “oil retainer” is fitted (the correct way round) and the end cap is clean and not cross threaded.

It’s probably fine though.

1 Like

I need to replace my Duo bearings, so a useful post thanks. Excuse my ignorance, but are MIJ & MIC US suppliers, or are they specifications?

1 Like

I’d be interested in recommendations for USA suppliers. There is no problem ordering bearing shaped objects for cheap on E-Bay, but when I try to find quality vendors I get prices in the $15-20 per bearing, so $90-$120 for both pedals. I’m highly confident that these would be genuine NSK (or other claimed brand), but those prices just aren’t reasonable for this application.
A USA source for the Xpedo kit would also be good, my search didn’t come up with any.

I just put an order in from bearings direct last week and they arrive tomorrow. I can let you know the condition they arrive in if you want. I’m not a bearing expert. It was about $30 for both pedals

1 Like

I’ve ordered the Favero replacement bearings from Powermeter City. They have good service. I’ve ordered other things from them as well. I also ordered some other replacement parts directly from Favero as well. I can’t remember how much shipping was, but the stuff came really fast, but the package required a signature, which was a pain.

1 Like