Estimating Ftp from 75 min test

Hello everyone,

This is my first time writing in forum. Here is a bit of history so someone can answer my question. On 3th March i did Ramp test and it estimated my ftp below 270w and my previous was 290w or i thought it was. I was really shamed to put down my ftp below 270w and it stayed on 270w. Fast forward yesterday as part of Phoenix+2 i decided that i will go 75min all out as Ftp test (basicallt i said fuck it and go, i almost died) and i averaged 318w for 75min and i dont know how this even happend. Now my question is should i set my ftp to 318w or should i do ramp test because i think i could push more. This somehow made my ftp jump for almost 50w which is insane plus i went to 73kg but didnt changed my weight in app so i dont know can i push more or should i leave with this.

What was your average power without the spike at the end? As that would still be over 60 minutes, it would be a good estimate of your FTP. And would be a better estimate that doing a ramp test, as the purpose of the ramp test is to create a method to estimate FTP that is more repeatable and less taxing for most people.

4 Likes

Without that slike i think it is something aroun 310w. My concerne is if thath was 60min not 75 min maybe i could push more for 60min so maybe i should start with 310w and see how workouts are going?

1 Like

Exactly. Use the 310, and then if you can complete an entire block, bump it up

1 Like

I would double check your powermeter calibration first imo. These numbers just don’t make any rational sense, even in a world where you were super detrained at the beginning of March.

The last minute of a ramp test that gives you 270w is around 360w and you appear to have done close to that for 4 minutes at the end of 75 minutes?

Which power meter are you using or are you using virtual power?

3 Likes

Its maybe due to calibration. Before that ramo test i had 14 Day without bike. But Before that i used to do workout with the ftp of 290w and sometimes even tweaked them more upwards.
I use kinetic inride sensor.
EDIT : it was calibrated this time twice.

Omg, that next VO2 max workout is going to suck😁

1 Like

Hahahahahah porbably. It will be near death

1 Like

Yeah😅

1 Like

In the future you may just want to do the 20 minute FTP test. I like it better than the Ramp test. I have also done the 8 minute test, that one is fine too.

1 Like

using your info then this universal calculator suggests 318 for 75min is around at FTP of 330w for 60min (fft.tips/curve) however I don’t know their methodology. Alternatively could you take the best portion of your 75min? AG

1 Like

I agree with you i dont like ramp test and i find that those casual ftp test are best for me.

1 Like