ERG ramp test values too low

I did two ramp tests in ERG mode in the last two months, which both gave weird results. I am now not sure whether it’s due to me just failing the test or something is wrong from a software/hardware perspective. Obviously, I hope the last but I’m not sure.

In both cases I had the issue that I am not able to still generate the required power values of the threshold, while I still feel fine (to the extent that’s still possible in a ramp test). Today, I tried to solve this by increasing my cadence considerably as I noticed the problem. Alas, to no avail. It feels completely different than failing previous ramp tests: then I was completely wasted. Now, I have the issue that I still have a few minutes left in the tank.

Coincidentally, I am using an ANT+ dongle since these last two ramp tests on a desktop. Could this be an issue of the ERG mode itself failing on me? Or am I just getting worse?

maybe a trainer issue?
Do you feel like just spinning and no more power comes out the the trainer?

Thanks for the fast feedback. Its not that suddenly all resistance is gone. More that the resistance is at the same level and does not increase. Like I did not get the update from TrainerRoad to up the resistance so I am pedaling at the same level.

Its occurring when I am close to my max but not on it. Like two ramp steps before.

My setup is a Tacx flux 1st generation with ant+ connection to my laptop. I think I am going to try in a few days without ant+

Are you using any other apps that might control your power like Zwift?

No. Zwift is turned off

Hey Artois. Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean when you say you can’t generate the required powers?
Is the trainer unable to match the target watts?

Erg is unforgiving when it works properly. Something as simple as changing gearing can make or break an interval.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. @Rosscopeco i indeed mean that the trainer does not generate the watts although I Kept the same cadence and even increased it to try to reach the right levels.

Below a picture of the test itself. It’s not that I maxed out my trainer. I am not that good :blush:

That would make me very upset if the ramp failed twice right at the end of an assessment.

That looks like somethings not right with the trainer. Maybe worth shooting a message to TR support.

I had the same issue And after some testing I concluded that the problem lay with the trainers. Contacted tacx and got a new unit.

I tested using a workout in the tacx app (power vs neo pedals I believe). Once I hit around 260 -280 watts I could not get any higher.

The workout/test is 17mins and in erg mode of course. You work through some 2min blocks with a max of 300watt.

Did you update the firmware?

Hope this helps…

1 Like

Happens similar often on Tacx Vortex when I’m in low gears, so I’m usually in a higher gear to avoid this issue. Not sure what’s causing it, would be interesting to see if there is a solution.

I think similar problem discussed here - Tacx Flow Smart power problems - #14 by Petaaar

1 Like

What gear are you in?
It does look like you max out your trainer. unfortunately, it’s not that your are too powerfull, but all trainers have sliding limits based on cadance and gearing, so maybe you should just change your gears and your fine.

So in the example there, you could only hit 500 watts when your are in 39:19 @ 85 rpm.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the tips. From what I read, it could indeed be that I am maxing out my trainer. Didn’t know at all about the cadance and gearing limits in ERG mode. Thanks @nvalphen! Yesterday I was in a 34:19 @ 85-90rpm and could only hit something close to 360 watts.

I will try it out later today to see whether it makes a difference or not. Lets hope third time is a charm. Frustrating indeed to fail close to an attempt but at least, thanks to you guys, I have potentially a solution!

2 Likes

Yea I have a kickr, and I notice when I get into the easiest couple gears, power gets wonky. You just arent moving the wheel fast enough for how much resistance it is facing. Shift up a few gears and it should smooth out.

I notice this at the end of hard intervals sometimes…I have a tendency to downshift when my cadence starts to drop from fatigue. It’s easier than trying to accelerate the wheel in the same gear…

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I tried it out (test workout and later a ramp test) and I can confirm that bigger gears indeed fixed the issue entirely. Problem solved!

6 Likes

as long as you are on EGR, just keep the bike on the highest gear… your trainer will take care of everything!

• That’s not necessarily true, because some trainers need lower gearing to hit lower wattage values.
  • As such, some riders starting at low wattage may need a lower gear at the start of a Ramp Test, and then possibly be forced to shift to higher gears in later stages of the test.
  • Point being, there are trainer and rider combinations that require difference actions, so you can’t make one-size-fits-all claims.
3 Likes

Fair. I read that my specific trainer (STAC Halcyon) needs the highest gearing for best performance. I incorrectly assume that was the case for most trainers on ERG mode.

1 Like

not all trainer are the same, the flux is “known” for the limited power bandwidth.
On my Kickr Core, I haven’t experienced this, but maybe my power is not great enough :wink:

All trainers have a minimum power (“floor”) and max power (“ceiling”) at a given spindle speed. For many devices, these limits are wide enough that you don’t have to worry about shifting gears; for others, either limits (or both) can easily be reached, the floor being the most common. On a Tacx Flux, it’s not uncommon to be forced to shift down so the test can start at its low point, and then shift up as the power goes up to avoid the issue the OP experienced.

I’ve done 2 ramp test this week, on both occasions I’ve had issues hitting the power targets in the final few steps.

I’m using a Tacx Flux S in erg mode, with small (34t) chainring and middle of cassette (19/21t?) at the back. This is my set up for all TR workouts.

Once I get to the final steps the trainer can not hold the power target, my cadence is still around 90-95 and there’s definitely something left in the tank, but I can’t get it to hold much above 440w. It’s as if I’ve hit a resistance ceiling? any ideas?

1 Like