Doing all 3 FTP tests to get a ‘true average’

Personally I would just find a method that works for you and stick to it. If you know the ramp test gives you a number that makes threshold work impossible, either use a different test or scale back the ramp test figure. As has been mentioned, the whole point is to establish training zones and evaluate progress; whether or not the figure is ‘accurate’ is a bit meaningless. After all, FTP does not equal 1 hour power (TTE can be 40-70 minutes, as noted above), nor does it necessarily equal 95% of 20 min average, and so on, and so on…

1 Like

Agree with this.

I think some riders, who aren’t complete beginners, need to learn what certain efforts feel like. You see some people say they can’t do more than 10 minutes at sweet spot without needing a break. That clearly isn’t sweet spot for them.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

It makes sense to me to set zones for HIIT training using a short test like the Ramp, for long duration/TTE/time trial training it’s KM every time.

Neither are pleasant but neither are so bad that they can’t be repeated on a monthly basis. Or just get WKO and you needn’t test more than once a year…

I’m really liking playing with WKO. I do my rides/efforts and it models FTP. There’s not much need to actually test if you get in good training or race efforts.

Hmm I do not think so. With wko you have to feed the pdc pretty regularly with all types of maximal efforts that are not part of the training as they have to be your maximal efforts.

Edit: ok race efforts are good enough. But there are no races :wink:

Oh I try and incorporate one of the shorter Targets into at least one session a week…they aren’t tests in the context of what I was talking about are they - consistent benchmarks etc.