Does Bonking Make You Faster, Making VO2max Easy, and More - Ask a Cycling Coach 390

Beyond 8% does not always cause dehydration. It just marginally slows absorption of water. There are many many scenarios where 10-15% concentration is perfectly adequate for hydration purposes. Only if sweating very heavily do you need to push concentrations down to below 10%.

Carb concentration percentages quick reference:

60 g carbs per 1 L = 6%
80 g carbs per 1 L = 8%
100 g carbs per 1 L = 10%
120 g carbs per 1 L = 12%
150 g carbs per 1 L = 15%
180 g carbs per 1 L = 18%

Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been using 0.75 ml bottles with 100-110 grams of carbs at Maltodextrin:Fructose (1.0:0.8). Thats about 55 grams malto and 45 grams fructose for the 100 grams. Additionally I add about 6 grams sodium citrate to get about 1200mg/hr sodium. (I drink 1 bottle per hour). For flavor I add about 20mg of Robinsonā€™s juice concentrate.

I havent had any issues with dehydration and I live on the coast in Saudi Arabia and deal with VERY hot and VERY humid conditions.

I ordered bulk Malto and sodium citrate from https://www.bulksupplements.com/. I just get fructose from my local grocery.

2 Likes

Hi @Jonathan. Thanks for the ingredient recommendations and recipe. Have you found a good way to scale this 80g/bottle mixing process for the 10 bottles or so weā€™ll use each week? For example, have you tried to increase the recipe to 5x to 400g of what you show in the IG/TikTok video and then use a scooper to fill 5 bottles at once? Or do you only mix 80g at a time? At what point does scaling the recipe make it hard to get an even mix of ingredients with regular manual shaking? Or maybe putting the ingredients in a big pot of water, mixing it there, and then pouring it into multiple water bottles? Thanks

Thanks for explaining :innocent::pray:

Looking at trying this, but with current Amazon prices it comes out to $2.5/serving? Is my math wildly incorrect or did it really more than double in price?

I just did some quick math and got around $1/serving (without the sodium alginate). You can get ~182 of those 27g fructose servings so $25/182 = ~$0.13/serving. Then you can get about 18 53g servings from that 1kg glucose. So $18/18=~$1/serving.

And you can find that glucose for cheaper in other places probably too.