Do you have any cycling superstitions?

Are you saying you have several different places you get a haircut from? Never heard that before

This is scientifically proven fact in motorcycle racing / trackdays as well. Don’t ask me how I know :smiling_face_with_tear:

kodiak does make a “pancake in a cup”, sort of like single serving oatmeal. add water and microwave 1 minute. so as long as your hotel has a microwave, they are great for travel. I think it’s ~250-300 kcal per cup

What’s in the pancake mix if you have to add egg and whey? My home-made pancakes (when not vegan), contain flour (with or without baking powder depending on type of pancake), milk, egg, and a pinch of salt. If you have to add the egg and milk/whey yourself, is the “mix” just flour!?

1 Like

playing with fire :grinning:

1 Like

I think the point was that Kodiak mix costs the same amount, but for half as much product as, say, Bisquick. With the Bisquick, you add milk and egg.

I stock up when it’s on sale at Costco. It can get as low as $9 per 4.5 lb box.

Nothing wrong with Bisquick or homemade pancakes of course. But real maple syrup is non-negotiable :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, my point was that I think there is no need to buy “pancake mix”. It’s cheaper and just as easy to buy flour and add the milk/whey/protein yourself.

1 Like

Between the syrup and Kodiak discounts, I’m starting to think I need a Costco membership!

1 Like

If you have a Costco reasonably close, you won’t regret it.
My cycling related Costco staples:

• ingredients to make DIY sports drink (sugar, honey, RealLemon, apple cider vinegar)
  • maple syrup
  • dates
  • fig bars
  • merino wool socks and base layers
  • whey protein (on sale every Jan)
  • all ingredients to make my daily protein, fruit, and vegetable smoothie
3 Likes

I’ve warmed up to the same 3 song playlist since 2005. I was 15/16 at the time.

Faint by Linkin Park, then Magic Carpet Ride (Fatboy slim remix) followed by Free Bird (live version).

I had one of the first iPod Shuffles that only played songs randomly. Those three came on in that order during the warmup, I won the race and have used it ever since.

3 Likes

Why have I never thought of Freebird as the perfect warmup song before!?!?!

images

3 Likes

That’s a 4.5lb box of kodiak cake mix. Purchased for $10.30. If it helps anybody decide.

1 Like

no superstitions but definitely well worked out procedures the night before and day of events.

Don’t forget other good costco values like gas and beer/wine/liquor (depending on state)

and most importantly pizza…

1 Like

Back 20 years ago I was very particular about how things had to go on race days. I got a lot better when I ditched that stuff, chilled the F out, and rolled with it. Endurance sports are so very mental, and I see so may people - triathletes and runners especially because the logistics are more challenging - who feel like things have to arranged perfectly or their warmup has to be done exactly this way, and when it inevitably doesn’t, they fall apart before they even begin.

So my superstition: every race day, something is going to go wrong.

Adapt and execute.

5 Likes

3 Likes

If you (or someone in your family) takes allergy medications daily (Zyrtec, Claritin, Flonase, etc.), the membership pays for itself.

The organic frozen berry blend is on-point. I buy like 8 at a time. Also cycling adjacent:

• Haribo
  • Animal crackers are my favorite trainer food
  • Stroopwaffles
  • Oatmeal
  • Granola
  • Frozen seafood
  • Greek yogurt
  • TP

As I type it, I’m not sure there’s something I buy from Costco that I can’t call cycling-adjacent. :joy:

Free Bird somehow became my go-to song for the last sweetspot/threshold interval of a workout.

3 Likes

:laughing: It’s actually a very freeing mindset, though!

1 Like

Oh, I totally agree. But it’s not much fun!! I mean dude, I have WAR SOCKS! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes