Do you have any cycling superstitions?

If I remember my shoes, it’s a good day. :laughing:

3 Likes

Please explain the with or without baking powder depending on the type of pancake. I always use the same recipe with baking powder and would love to know a type of pancake without. Thanks!

English vs American.

2 Likes

33 years of paying for itself!

3 Likes

I just HATE standing in line. And Costco, at least the one by me, means standing in lines 4 deep of people with dozens of items in their cart. It can honestly take 20 mins to check out. At that point, I’d rather just pay more.

1 Like

I always put my left glove on before my right one to ward off crashes

3 Likes

I’ve had riders turn up to my events and forget their shoes. Like you say, chill out, all the hard work is done, now enjoy what you’ve been working towards, no matter how it turns out.

1 Like

In addition to being a dorky mountain biker, I was also a classic rock and guitar nerd as a teenager. So sometimes I’d ride with the Shuffle and do a “workout” where I’d go hard during the guitar solos only. It sucked when Eruption came on after Free Bird.

2 Likes

At risk of taking this thred even more of topic, American-style pancakes are small and thick, and need baking powder (or another raising agent). European-style pancakes are larger and flatter and don’t need baking powder.

1 Like

3 weeks before every race I panic, change my training plan and over train.

6 Likes

Often when I have a really sh*tty ride, the next one is a really good one. I have thereby extended this to some weird yin/yang philosophy where all bad times in training shall be followed by an equal and opposite good, and conversely that things going a little too well shall be subject too the universe smiting me with a proportional degree of suck-ass for a time because I flew too close to the sun. I have exactly no interest in looking through historical data to compare this with the reality, because mentally it’s proven quite helpful.

Some people have z2 HR caps. I have an unbreakable rule that I have to go balls-out for the entire duration of Ace of Spades if it comes on shuffle. Easy spin, recovery interval, doesn’t matter. I can and have explained this to my coach with an entirely straight face.

4 Likes

If “Because Lemmy.” isn’t a good enough reason, you might need to find a new coach.

4 Likes

I’ve realized recently that I’ll intentionally clip into the “top” (side with the SHIMANO logo) of my SPDs when on important rides/races. :melting_face:

4 Likes

Whenever my mother comes to visit, she’ll leave us with a few loaves of banana/blueberry/dark chocolate chip bread. The whole family loves it, but I’ll stash a couple in my garage freezer…I’ll pull one loaf out of the freezer, on race weekend, to have for breakfast. I’ll top them with honey from my brother in-laws bee farm. Winning combo!

2 Likes

I panic in the car on the way to the event and pull off the side of the interstate to re-inventory my shoes, bib, pump, etc.

Only time I didn’t do this I forgot my bib.

6 Likes

Ooof I feel this. I got a few miles from home once and realized I forgot my shoes :melting_face:

The struggle is real!

1 Like

Washing my bike to any level of detail will cause it to rain. Even my homies agree: whenever I wash my bike, you can expect rain in the next 24 hours.

4 Likes

Back when I raced, I made a check list.

1 Like

Never cycle without jelly babies. No matter how short the ride.

1 Like