Cyclocross Pro Tips, Carbs and Heat, Punchy Fitness, and More - Ask a Cycling Coach 382

Ivy’s cyclocross season is starting, so we get her pro tips on CX racing and training, as well as Dr. Podlogar’s insight into why fueling seems much harder in hot conditions and much more in Episode 382 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

We’re back live this week! Tune in today at 9:30am Pacific!

Topics Covered in This Episode

• What happens when you get sick right before your goal event
  • Ivy’s race schedule
  • What head units are most commonly used in cyclocross?
  • Ivy’s go-to bike skill drills
  • How to transform steady-state fitness into punchy fitness
  • How is TSS calculated mid-workout
  • Why fueling with carbs in the heat is so hard
  • The most commonly overlooked steps of stage race nutrition
  • Should amateurs eat less carbs than pros?

Resources Mentioned in This Episode:

Data Engineer: www.TrainerRoad.com/jobs

TR Athletes at Kona – We need you on the podcast: TR Athletes at Kona – We need you on the podcast! - Racing - TrainerRoad

TrainerRoad Podcast Network

Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast

Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast

Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

Submit a topic to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast

3 Likes

did the stream go down!?

Seems like it did to me and not seeing any evidence of it on youtube. Was thinking they really didn’t like my time zone joke so banned me but don’t think they would have gotten that upset

1 Like

Its back. Looks like they finished the recording and so posted in full now

1 Like

It’s back up!

1 Like

Haha, I thought I was going to get to tune in Live for a moment when I saw the message about being an hour late.

Looking forward to the discussion on sickness pre event facing that issue again this year. Hope @IvyAudrain you are getting back to where you want to be :crossed_fingers:.

2 Likes

to pair a second power meter:

1 Like

The live edit cut dropped the stream for a bit. It was a good cut, but it did mean YouTube briefly freaked out.

Finding varying foods to avoid palate fatigue is so helpful when trying to find the carb limit. It’s expensive to use race day stuff all the time but it can really help to experiment a few times and see what your body can handle.

1 Like

@IvyAudrain This you demonstrating the mudslide / remount combo move?

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 10.52.28 PM
](https://twitter.com/akwca/status/1574206546245873665?s=20&t=KmOLLCntyqZu4TjaBVaWcQ)

2 Likes

And here I am worrying about getting my road bike dirty :crazy_face::exploding_head::rofl:

1 Like

ATHLETICISM. :laughing:

3 Likes