Cycling/Tri documentary or movie recommendations

The Road Uphill on Amazon Prime Video.
About the 2011 TDF from the Schleck bros perspective. Being an Aussie I loved the result but admit I felt a little empathy towards Andy.

1 Like

I’ve watched these and they’re pretty good.

Wiggins: A Year in Yellow

Wiggins: A Very British Champion

British Cycling Road to Glory

Geraint Thomas: The Road Will Decide

I wonder if there are any TdF recap documentaries or stuff like that.

I’ve been enjoying the official TdF recaps from 2019 back to 2015. Only ~15 minutes each though…

2 Likes

The ESPN documentary, Slaying the Badger, is brilliant. It’s about the Hinault - Le Mond rivalry.

If you like the original, The Ginger Runner made one called “Where Dreams Go to Die” that’s really good.

2 Likes

I think someone else mentioned this, but the flim about Michelton-Scott, All For One, on Amazon Prime, is excellent.

4 Likes

I just opened one beer, but thanks to this thread it looks like I’ll have to open several more. Btw, check out Ted King’s youtube channel. Great 12-15 min videos (including series of 3-5 videos covering certain events), covering his post-retirement-still-actually-pro racing life. Loads of fun.

1 Like

I don’t think I saw posted the two cycling classics by director Jørgen Leth:

Stars and Water Carriers - (Story of the 1973 Giro d’Italia)

A Sunday in Hell

2 Likes

Was up (very) late last night working and browsing YouTube … found this great documentary on history of the UK MTB scene - it’s entirely possible that I found it from a link someone had already posted here … apologies if that’s the case, I really can’t recall: Mountain Biking The untold British story HD - YouTube

1 Like

Someone else noted it above, but worth posting again. IMO, S &W is much better than Sunday in Hell.

May have to rewatch it today!!

1 Like

Hey
Flanders Classics has released a bunch of “behind the scenes” films from the Ronde van Vlaanderen (tour of flanders). They give a great insiders look of the races. Its mostly in dutch but there are english subs.

Enjoy

2 Likes

Quest for Kona is truly awful, I posted about this on the IM thread. I have respect for anyone who completes an IM but why on earth have they got people pretending they are going to get a Kona spot when the are in fact struggling to make cut offs, did the producers do no research when picking people to follow?

1 Like

The Cycling Podcast has been doing their virtual Giro d’Italia. It’s not a movie but you could call each episode a mini documentary. They are going over tons of Giro history. The Lion King episode was really good.

https://thecyclingpodcast.com/ourgiro

These are gold. If anyone knows of more channels like this i’d really appreciate it. Those behind the scenes-films are about the best cycling films i have seen besides the Jørgen Leth-documentaries.

Came to suggest this. Loved it

I just watched The Rider. It was ok and entertaining enough spread over two trainer rides. Mostly though it’s a rehash of the late 90s doping era with every story you ever heard about the era tossed in.

Has anyone watched the Iron Cowboy doc on Amazon Prime? It keeps popping up on my suggestions.

It’s a reasonably well made documentary for one of its kind and the challenge and main guy are impressive, if not always super likeable.

Also a bit of controversy involved along the way to keep things interesting. Give it a watch and see what you think.

1 Like

Melons, trucks and angry dogs parts 1-4

2 Likes