COVID-19 Disaster Day?

DAY?!? Bah! I scoff at your wet noodle legs!

Imma gonna do a COVID-19 WEEK!!! :boom: :boom: :boom: :crazy_face:

Ok, okā€¦so itā€™s not going to set my trainer on fire but havenā€™t been cleared for intensity yetā€¦at least itā€™ll keep me isolated for almost 7 hours! :laughing:

9 Likes

I think those 10 one minute openers at 125% would finish me off before I got going! and if they didnā€™t the 6 one minute ones at 135% wouldā€¦ Iā€™ve already mentally failed!!!

Iā€™m going to post a tentative participation with the reserve of I might just drop the intensity down by 10% before starting :laughing:

1 Like

Can you imagine wearing a ā€œCOVID19 DISASTER DAYā€ T-shirt in public? :thinking:

9 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s not happening (T-shirt). I waited a bit to see the initial response to the post, because the mix in the ā€œDisasterā€ name in light of the current state bothers me a bit, if Iā€™m honest. Itā€™s part of the reason I like Rockhouse (less inflammatory name) and I also like the idea of doing something different.

I may make Rockhouse -1 and Rockhouse -2 versions, so we have some more mellow options to open this to more potential riders. I may choose the lower version depending on when we get something on the calendar.

11 Likes

Question for anyone wanting a minus version of Rockhouse. There are 2 main tools to make a reduced version:

1. Reduce the interval duration.
  2. Reduce the interval number.

Iā€™ve used a combo in the past, when making my Disaster -2 version.

• I tend to keep the duration of sprint type efforts, and just cut the total number.
  • I tend to keep the number of efforts longer than 2 minutes, and just reduce the duration.

Looking at Rockhouse, I may use a mix again. But Iā€™d like to get some feedback on what youā€™d like to see.

I can make a couple of versions to demonstrate and decide on the ā€œofficialā€ ones we release.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

My A Event (and B in the run up) arenā€™t officially postponed yet, but seems inevitable. So Iā€™m definitely on for a Rockhouse at some point. Iā€™d agree ā€œDisasterā€ itā€™s really appropriate.

Iā€™m in week 3 of the second block of build, so after the recovery week, Iā€™m in.

Assuming the me and the household are still well, of course!

Here is a shot of my current Rockhouse -2, approximately a half-version, exactly have time with the mix of use I mention above.

11 Likes

Iā€™m definitely interested in this!

My feedback aligns with what you wrote. I think keeping the intensity level on the intervals the same but perhaps reducing the length/amount is probably ideal for those wanting a reduced version.

When do you foresee this taking place?

No idea on timing yet. We can be flexible and do something more open ended, to suit a wider range of schedules.

I updated the old Disaster team info with this plan in mind:

I added the Rockhouse and current Rockhouse -2 versions to the team, so people can easily access my modded version.

1 Like

Plus one - my events have gone under.

OK, full range of Rockhouse versions are available.
The access the modded versions via the workout section on team page.

Rockhouse (Coach Chadā€™s original workout)

Rockouse -1 (Chad McNeeseā€™s 3/4 reduced version)

Rockhouse -2 (Chad McNeeseā€™s 1/2 reduced version)

7 Likes

How about a TrainerRoad Virtual User Group Ride that has the theme of shared social experience instead of shared epic suffering?

In this time of social isolation, online virtual communications is booming (think of all of your family and friends texting, emails, Facetime, Zoom, etc). People are looking for social connection. Our club, for example, has started group rides on Zwift. The interest and participation has been significant.

So the idea is this: Rather than dictate to TR users what ride they can do, how about if we let users choose? For those that are want to do an epic ride, they could do Rockhouse (or Disaster or whatever). For those that want to do a sweetspot ride, maybe theyā€™d choose Antelope or Galena. For endurance riders, perhaps Baxter or Beehive.

In addition to attracting a potentially larger and broader TR user base, I think the Discord chat might be very interesting. Perhaps it may include: How we are adjusting our annual goals? Our training plans? Is riding helping deal with lifeā€™s stresses? The list goes on and on.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in for a Rockhouse attempt. Looks doable.

2 Likes

Post them dates up. Iā€™m down for Rockhouse.

2 Likes

Yea Iā€™m game for Rockhouse or -1.

2 Likes

Alright youā€™ve got my interest. I did Disaster Day in 2019 and this looks like a nice substitute for Barry Roubaix - which was canceled - and various other events that have been canceled. Letā€™s Rock the House folks!

Iā€™m open to whatever we all want. I think a more ā€œsocialā€ option is great too. Part of the focus on the more ā€œchallengingā€ workouts stems from the loss of goal events, and people now wanting to redirect their training to some new goal. Disaster, Rockhouse, or any other workout can do. I could even see people taking on TT efforts, hour or FTP TTE events, anything really.

I just want to try and help people find an outlet for their training and fitness, if they want. We can let this morph and develop this week and see where the wind takes us.

4 Likes

first 90-100 min of Rockhouse looks like a good VO-Tuesday workout.

1 Like

Letā€™s do it!

I like Rockhouse Day or something along those lines, Rocking Day, Lets Rock It, I agree after thiking about it, calling it Disaster Day doesnā€™t sit well with me in the current world.

1 Like