Core strength: how long can you plank

• < 1min
  • 1min - 2min
  • 2min - 3min
  • 3min - 5min
  • 5min+

0 voters

This poll comes from a curiosity when I got my first retail bike fit. He had me do a one minute plank to demonstrate core strength. Me being the fit, and active adult I was thought sure, no problem. About 30 seconds in I was trembling bad, and by a minute I had given up. At that point I assumed no one could do it :joy:, but to my shock, he said many can easily complete it.

So fast forward a year (to December 2018), I wanted to improve my marathon by incorporating some core strength work and someone on this forum suggested the plank challenge. Start at 1min and ever day do a plank and add 5 seconds till you get to 5 minutes. I for the most part did just that and made it up to 3:30 when I moved into maintenance mode and just did it one or twice a week. Iā€™m still at that strength today, but noticed my lower back problems havenā€™t come back in a long time which I can presume have a lot to do with improving the core strength.

So my question is, how many people actually do planks and core strength and whatā€™s a common level of ā€œfitnessā€ I.e. ability to hold a plank over time?

Side note, I like what itā€™s done to me so much, that Iā€™m now adding in side planks like coach chad demonstrates in strength work videos. :+1:

2.5 mins, got there planking about 10 times. Trying to build it up a little but itā€™s so boring, and hardā€¦ But good for you it seemsā€¦

1 Like

I used to climb and did planking quite often got up to around 3-3:30 but havent done them consistently for a few years. I still go gym and ride MTB so Iā€™m not too bad. Just checked my log and I havent done one in 6 monthsā€¦

Just had a go and got 2:05 which Iā€™m ok with (was at gym this morning so not sure how much better Iā€™d be fresh). Will have to get back on them again!

2 Likes

Between the 1 - 1.30 minute mark. I havenā€™t really tried to improve that figure as itā€™s part of circuit I do.

As a side note, my friends wife, who is a professional ballerina can hold the plank position for just over 14 minutes. She beat a team of five guys (including me), during a New Years Eve house party. No, she wasnā€™t sober :skull:

9 Likes

4:20 hours. :+1::canada::blonde_woman:

Canadian woman breaks world record for longest plank ever

But, as Emily Battyā€™s strength coach says, planks arenā€™t really a practical exercise for the bike (i.e. static position).

These days I can smash out a 2hr reverse couch plank no problem. :grin:

17 Likes

Iā€™d argue that for average Joeā€™s that arenā€™t doing any sort of core work or minimal amounts that a plank is better than no plank. For an elite athlete then sure there is probably better stuff for them.

4 Likes

How in Gods name!?!?

1 Like

:astonished:

1 Like

8 minā€¦

1 Like

When you can do longer duration planks, switch over to a RKC Plank. You can get more done in less time then :slight_smile:

Donā€™t thank me till youā€™ve found out how much more they hurt :wink:

1 Like

I usually plank for 5 min after most indoor rides. Record is 10 min but never tried to max.

Got into planks maybe 5 years ago doing a ā€œplank challengeā€ and just kept going as it was fun and worked.

At some point, static planking isnā€™t giving bang for buck so rather than doing more time in static, change it up to adding movement. During winter strength training I use our TRX and have a 7 min series of core movements that totally wrecks me. Fun though.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve said this before, but I think it bears repeating as far as how off the bike strength translates to on bike performanceā€¦

I had all sorts of problems with ā€œfitā€ on the bikeā€¦hands, shoulders, lower back, etc., until I could do the following:

Plank for 90 seconds
Perform 50 push ups without stopping
Perform 10 pull up without stopping

When I could do that, all of my ā€œfitā€ issues went away :metal:

(Donā€™t get me wrong, a good bike fit is definitely important)

7 Likes

I canā€™t do that, but like you all problems disappeared after increasing posterior chain strength. Started with upper back and that solved most problems.

I love goals like this.
Plank :ballot_box_with_check:
Push Ups 30 something :x: :frowning_face:
Pull ups :ballot_box_with_check: (Just)

I need to get on it.

3 Likes

Alsoā€¦in the mirror, at pool, in real life itā€™s always a bit better to look like Sagan than Froome :wink:

5 Likes

I do the pedestal routine a couple of times a week.

In terms of how long I can hold a plank, IDC. But Iā€™m sure itā€™s less than 5min! Just the pedestal routine is enough training for me to be able to handle my training. :wink:

1 Like

Plank 2:28
Pushups 25
Pull ups 10

The only move of the above I practice are pullups

1 Like

wasnt there talks of a level 1-3 or so checklist for what exercises you should be able to accomplish as a cyclist? i thought @Nate_Pearson mentioned it.

3 Likes

Yes, not sure why itā€™s not out yet. Iā€™ll follow up now

10 Likes

Plank 2:24
Pushups 25

I guess your probably supposed to warm up for these things with Truuli and have a protein shake afterwards right?

4 Likes