Win More Races, Strength Training, Build Phase Science and More – Ask a Cycling a Coach 190

Join us live for Episode 190 of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast! We’ll be talking about the best ways to strategically increase your odds of winning races, giving you a comprehensive guide to strength training for cyclists, covering when it is a good idea to complete two Build Phases back-to-back, a special announcement from Nate and Chad, and much more!

Youtube Live Video:

Topics covered in this episode:

Subscribe to the Podcast

Listen to previous episodes on SoundCloud

Live Notes

Strength Training for Cyclists

Sprinting Tips From a Pro - Team Clif Bar Racing’s Pete Morris

Spud Inc Neck Harness

Strength Training Volume Study

New Feature: Recurring Workouts

Crossfit Games Crit

3 Likes

Awesome! Just a heads up… You’re kind of giving away the special announcement in the *topics covered" notes :wink:

2 Likes

Oooooo good catch! I changed it to keep the suspense up for everybody else :grin:

3 Likes

These podcasts are getting really good. :+1::+1:

Think we’re pushing the boys to earn their keep? :wink:

(p.s. – I see my question on the list! Woot!)

1 Like

Great tip on the neck exercise thing @Nate_Pearson. Have the same issue, long skinny neck. Have been doing Y-T-Ws as a finisher to strngthing the shoulder muscles to keep the neck and head up.

How often do you use it? Like how many days a week?/sets and reps?

2-3 times per week, 5-8 reps, 2 sets. I think it helps!

I haven’t listened yet to the podcast, but that sounds like an awesome goal! Batman and Robin skinsuits :grin:

Really interesting study on strength gains there.

I have been doing strength/gym work for the past couple of months (mostly squats and deadlifts with a few specific upper body exercises thrown in).

A few thoughts on that:

• I wonder how that translate to doing < 3 session per week. I only do 1 session a week to interfere less with my cycling/life.
  • I seem to have put on some muscle size (hypertrophy), I can only assume this will impact aerodynamics, as a cyclist what I really want is strength and actively don’t want size.

I hate to say this, but I am sure that you have this the wrong way round. The graphic you posted is correct but the text you wrote is not.

Accuracy is the discrepancy between the actual value and the measured value. Precision is the variation in the measured value for the same actual value.

From Wikipedia:

In the fields of science, the accuracy of a measurement system is the degree of closeness of measurements of a quantity to that quantity’s true value.

The precision of a measurement system, related to reproducibility and repeatability, is the degree to which repeated measurements under unchanged conditions show the same results.

Mike

2 Likes

So I just listened to this podcast and have a question.

I have completed the sweet spot base mid volume 1 and almost done with 2. I planned on doing the short power build next then the short power build again and no specialty phase as I will be starting race season and I race a minimum of 3 races a week (crits). My question is coach Chad doesn’t recommend the build phase back to back.

Would should I do it since I am not doing specialty or should I swap the first build out for something?

Thanks!

Is there a reason you can’t or shouldn’t do a Specialty?

Even if you don’t have a particular event, you can pick one that you think would be fun to do.

Otherwise, the basic recommendation for those who don’t want to do Specialty is the following:
Base > Build > Base > Build, etc.

2 Likes

You can also cut up plans and do half a build and fill the rest with a base. If you have done a base block recently that shouldn’t get in too much trouble.

2 Likes

Riding this bike :joy:

7 Likes

We have so many weekly races that I just don’t think I need the specialty phase. I normally race 3-5 times weekly once the season starts.

I have done the base 1-2 going to build after that you think I should go back to base?

Any reason why you see I cant do build twice in a row?

1 Like

I don’t have enough knowledge to make a better recommendation. The double Build seems like a tough call to me, considering how hard they seem to be for me.

Maybe if you do a Low Volume one along with your outside races and rides, you would be good?

1 Like

Listen to the most recent podcast that addresses this very issue.

That is how this conversation started lol

What were Chad and Nate’s big announcement? Havent had a chance to listen yet.

Scroll up and look at the first picture you see.

What about warmup sets? So, I can do a fair amount of weight on deadlifts. Going straight to what I could do for 3-5 reps seems concerning.