Core Strength Recommendations

I’ve been looking at improving my core strength and I am aware of many guides to exercises that are applicable to cyclists, however, I have been unable to find good benchmarks for these exercises. I am motivated by performance goals and therefore I wondered whether any of you have stumbled across specific performance benchmarks for bodyweight core exercises. For example, duration of a plank.

I know there are TR bench marks but these focus on free weight exercises

TLDR; what are good performance goals for core strength (plank duration / side plank duration)?

2 Likes

Planks aren’t really a great core exercise. There are good core strengthening exercises you can do for sure, but how much time do you have? Because being able to squat and deadlift at the levels in the link above are going to give you a fairly strong core.

Edit: reference on the planks not being great, since that might be slightly controversial:

Despite the click bait title, Jeff knows what he’s talking about and has a Masters in Physiotherapy.

2 Likes

Certainly interesting and Jeff makes a compelling case. He suggests that rotational stability is more important; do you think the Strength train recommendations cover this also?

I suppose I will work towards the strength training recommendations then :slight_smile:

To an extent - and that’s probably all I would focus on until you hit the benchmarks set by Chad if I were you. Most of the movement in the main lifts though is in the sagittal plane, so it won’t challenge rotational stability to the same degree as more targeted exercises. But by virtue of not collapsing under the load of a 150% body-weight squat, you’re exhibiting some degree of anti-rotational strength etc.

Jeff also has some good videos where he breaks down the major anatomical components of the core, and has some core routines that I’ve followed. That was mostly before I started cycling though, and was for strengthening my core for motorcycle racing, which is a lot more dynamic and challenging on your upper body and core - you’re moving around a lot more, under much higher g-forces, and have the added challenge of almost never being able to put weight on your handle-bars as if you’re too rigid, you could amplify any instability leading to a crash if things get out of shape. Anyway, I sort of got lazy and stopped doing the core routines (this was on top of normal strength routine). Took up cycling as good cardio to help with motorcycle racing (although I’m now way more focused on cycling funnily enough), and after a few months of unstructured, long rides, tried picking up a core strength routine again, and found I could actually do more & higher quality reps than I could before! All the bike riding is really the only explanation for the increase in core strength I can think of. So that’s another aspect to consider - spending longer in the saddle may reap the double benefit of improving your cycling and strengthening your core at the same time.

The other option is to have your strength routine incorporate unilateral exercises with a balance component as a way to get some core work in there as well. For example, my current routine involves the following alternating workouts:

Workout A:

• Barbell back squats
  • Dumbbell bench press on an exercise ball
  • Bent over single-arm dumb-bell rows
  • Single-leg deadlifts with a kettlebell

Workout B:

• Deadlift
  • Dumbbell overhead press, alternating arms and standing on one leg
  • Pull-ups
  • Step-ups with dumbbells for added weight

Both of these I can smash out in under 30 minutes at the gym. Squats and deadlifts are the main lifts I care about lifting heavy for, as I’ve found the greatest benefit to my cycling there. The others, I’ve exceeded Chad’s recommendations before, and I’m comfortable continuing to practice those movements with lower weights, but in a way that promotes more balance and gives me a bit of a core workout at the same time, as well as just generally feeling healthy and what not.

All that said, if you find you have specific weak spots (again, I think Jeff has a great video on a few things you can do to try and diagnose any weaknesses in your core), it might be worth incorporating exercises targeting those areas specifically.

6 Likes

Really appreciate the comprehensive reply! :facepunch:

1 Like

Piling on… My wife bought the Athlean-X membership and she is loving it. Has done a couple programs now. She is one of those people that follows a plan to the letter and also focuses on doing every movement very precisely.

I have followed Jeff’s YouTube stuff for years, but I’m more into cycling with a bit of lifting so have not done his programs. As I watch his stuff, and see his programs through my wife, am more and more impressed.

For core - I really like some of the 10 minute TRX routines. Problem is you need to be pretty strong to do those those. And you need the TRX kit.

Jeff has a really good Core Shuffle program using mostly physiology ball, rubber bands and body weight. That is nice for the variation and the app works well. Having the small video “how to do the movement” segments is helpful when starting.

Finally - agree on static planks. I used to do a ton of planks but have moved toward more dynamic moves in the last couple years. Movement is better almost always.

$0.02

-Mark

1 Like

Regarding abdominal strengthening, I prefer full situps with knees, hips flexed. Back extensions lying prone on Doctor’s type exam table, legs secure and being fully flexed at waist lifting torso to neutral. The muscles also need dynamic strengthening, planks, etc. are isometric. Hope this is helpful.

1 Like

Old but good.

2 Likes

I used to do planks and side planks after my strength routine but doing all of it took too much time.
Now I just rely on squats, deadlifts, pull ups and overhead press for my core strength.
Also doing pushups instead of planks is more time efficient.
If you want to target the abs more chin ups and front squats are great too. I love weighted chin ups.

I do like my planks. But I do them after my compound movements (squats, bench, deadlifts, press) as a finisher. I also do some other core work like leg lifts, sit ups, flutter kicks, etc.

this thing is pretty fun. connects to an app on your phone. blow up planets, shoot bows, pac man etc. there’s also a mountain bike game, seems pretty functional

Jeffs app? On ios?

My wife typically ran his workouts from the web site; which is mobile friendly.

It looks like he now has the six-pack shuffle (six-pack promise) available on both android and iOS. Hope that helps.

Also on edit… have not tried it, zero association with AthleanX, but the X fans on Reddit seem to like the Core4Abs programming. Core Abs Workout Plan - CORE4 Ab Training System | ATHLEAN-X

1 Like

I’ve been consistently doing core work since I started TR in January, basically a 20 minute-ish core workout following each TR workout (leg raises, cable crunch, landmine twist or pallof press) and I thought I was getting stronger there. Deadlifting felt good, absolutely no lower back issues on the trainer and I spend a lot of time working on my aero position. But I just started riding outdoors again and I’m guessing all the core work still can’t fortify you for climbing. First time riding real hills since October and my lower back was killing me yesterday. In fact it’s never been that intolerable, I actually had to stop and stretch. And this was the first time I experienced lower back soreness where it felt like it was impacting my power. Kind of disconcerting given that I feel my strength/core is near peak shape. Riding outside hills clearly taxes something different though.

Curious what others’ experiences are like

Too much, too soon? Core, stretch and body weight work can only go so far. It seems like it needs to be considered a supplement, not a replacement in the case you mention.

Even with that work, if you weren’t doing similar demands on the trainer (cadence, gearing/load, position on the bike, etc.) to what you just did outside, you may have just pushed yourself over the limit. Stepping outside and possibly biting off more than you can chew is not surprising if there is a real delta between that and the other work you did (non-core) in the roughly 6 months between outside rides.

yea that could very well be it. But the route I rode is a typical training route I ride a lot and last year, emerging from winter, I definitely wasn’t as aerobically fit as now but never felt lower back soreness like this. I have been deadlifting more too though (added RDL on top of DL), and while I feel like my lifts there are pretty solid in terms of form (presumably b/c of a stronger core - I’m not sore afterwards), I’m guessing there’s some accumulated stress there that I don’t always feel.

1 Like

When I started structured training, my lower back ache was caused by intervals’ specific intensity (upper Z3/SS). Probably because body was overly tense to push required power. Interestingly did not happen at lower or higher intensity and only when outdoors.

IIRC, passed in couple months and haven’t happened since then. Maybe only couple first rides in the spring when first get outdoors over long winter.