Using TR now successfully for some months, I have one remaining “major” issue regarding the combination of TR plans with other sports and training activities.
I am a newbie, started (gravel) cycling 1.5 year ago after 15 years with very little sports, got a pwoermeter 10 months ago and a road bike this February; I am age group 50+.
Apparently did quite well in 4 recent road races with pretty significant starter lists, I finished 6. (2x), 11., and 13. in my age group – thus the training does seem to work somewhat;-) Also getting close to 4 W/kg at 80 kg, although I “only” went up 5 % with TR this year so far;-)
I am on a low-volume TR plan, which gives me three trainings/week, currently, I’ve set these on Monday, Thursday, and Friday – but this is not “perfect”, esp. “Monday” does not work out well…
I am looking for feedback on how to arrange training a bit better, esp. regarding the scheduling of the 3-day low-volume TR plan. For now, I hesitated to put the 3 days in a row, i.e., on Thu, Fri. Sat… I am also wondering in how far skipping one of the 3 TR workouts quite often influences TR’s choice of workouts and my response to the plan…?
The TR plan is parallel to other activities, and my standard week looks like this
- Monday: recovery run (6 km, 30–35 min) plus core and functional fitness (20–30 min); ~50 TSS
- Tuesday: group ride (100+ km, 3 h); ~180–200 TSS
- Wednesday: Badminton training including stretching and core/functional fitness, sometimes Tabea intervals; ~50 TSS
- Thursday: mostly do the TR workout, sometimes Gravel ride; ~75–150 TSS
- Friday: generally do the TR workout; ~75–100 TSS
- Saturday: sometimes catch up with the missed TR workout from Monday; sometimes add a gravel ride; alternatively go for long gravel or road bike tour; ~50–300/400 TSS
- Sunday: race or group ride (100+ km, 3 h); 100–400 TSS
In addition I commute/go shopping on my bike once in a while, which makes up for 20–40 km/week.
Esp. after more intense weekends I do need the “recovery Monday” with the short run and fitness, nothing else. This is also in line with busy work & family schedules on that day of week.
I want to keep the Badminton on Wednesday for its social aspect and also to have some “impact sport” for my bones.
I also do want to keep the 1–2 group rides and obviously the races, and their dates are essentially fixed.
Moreover, I plan to go stand-up paddling (1 h at max power plus some further paddling around) either Thursdays or Fridays in summer…
Nevertheless, I am looking for suggestions on how to make better use of TrainerRoad within these restrictions and welcome all comments:-)