Cold Water Plunge

[quote=“KorbenDallas, post:1, topic:80308”]inflammation down
[/quote]

This is beyond inane. How in the world does he measure his levels of “inflammation”? Additionally, inflammation =/= bad.

Huberman is a quack and should not be taken seriously.

1 Like

In what way is Huberman a quack? Not defending, but that is not the impression I’ve formed.

1 Like

Good lord…IDK. I didn’t ask.

Calling someone stupid just adds so much to the thread. Thank you Mr. Sport Endocrinologist.

I didn’t call him stupid. I said that his claim was stupid. There’s a difference.

However, instead of being snarky, I will explain myself for this and the above. I generally have a problem with those who proselytize misinformation in the health, fitness, and nutrition industries, often for personal gain (the dentist isn’t benefiting in this, but work with me). I think that many of those pushing these unsubstantiated claims are preying on the insecurities of those who are honestly doing their best to be healthier. It pushes a narrative of “more more more” and never being good enough. In parallel, there is an unregulated, incredibly expensive industry tailored to filling these theoretical needs. For example, I searched how much a cryotherapy session costs in my area and it’s $45 for 3 minutes. That’s absurd. Add in travel time, potential parking costs…but am I missing on something? The perfect is the enemy of the good.

Regarding Huberman, I think he is sensationalist regarding conclusions of studies and is predatory in the manner I just described. He walks the line between scientific honesty and selling out to make that bag. For example, he has a recent podcast alllllll about supplements. He of course provides the disclaimer that he isn’t a doctor blah blah and then provides specific dosing recommendations. He fails to provide a comprehensive list of conflicts of interests and has the podcast interspersed with adverts for companies purporting to fulfill the perceived deficits he’s creating. Why do I need a supplement to “support healthy hormone levels”? Either my body is gonna do it, or I have a disease requiring medical attention. I’m going to attempt to listen to his 4+ hour podcast about sex hormones and fertility, but I’m not sure I can endure it, even at 2.5x.

When it comes to preclinical neuro-ophthalmology, I’m sure he’s solid. Beyond that, I fear he uses his platforms and title for personal gain. Mehmet Oz was a seriously talented cardiothoracic surgeon.

5 Likes

Thank you!

I actually think that Huberman is probably more honest than most in this space. I’ve listened to a few of his podcasts and honestly, I can’t take 1-2-3+ hours for what he could have condensed into 20 minutes.

The biggest probably though with this whole health and wellness space (even the ones ‘based on science’) is that they latch on to minor outcomes or correlations in underpowered studies and then build a brand preaching about whatever it is.

People like Dr. Oz are in a whole other category of quacks. He’ll try to sell you negative ion pajamas.

3 Likes

Are they any good ?

3 Likes

Is that the guy out of back to the future :wink:

2 Likes

No, Doc Brown was the real deal!

3 Likes

on the flip side, there’s tons of well-supported evidence for health and performance benefits of dry sauna, and it’s soooo much more tolerable than cold plunge or whole body cryo. and if your gym has a sauna, there’s no additional cost. just sayin’…

A new gym just opened near me and I get free cryo. I never did it before today (skeptical of any benefits) and it was actually pretty cool (no pun intended). I enjoyed the experience and I do love dry sauna too. I never saw any health/performance benefits from sauna either, but sometimes you just got to enjoy life.

i used a proper cold tank in college (former football player) to recover, and it made a huge difference. these days, a 6’x2’x2’ $225 stock tank from tractor supply suits me in CO from november through april. it feels spectacular. i plan on buying a chiller this spring to turn it into a year round tank.

I benefited from both the cryo spray and a true cold plunge (very cold) on the very long and brutal Ragbrai ride this year. Huge difference in the pain and recovery improvements.

I did read a research paper about the cold and hot and both actually help recovery with cold having an edge.

1 Like

I think the focus is possibly slightly different, but I just listened to a Real Science of Sport podcast where they looked at the Nature review of whether cold water therapy/the Wim Hof method is beneficial or not. (Spoiler: it’s not.)

1 Like

A friend is an MD/PhD and also an avid WW kayaker. A colleague of hers studies metabolic adaptation, and she enrolled in a study of the effects of cold exposure. She found that regular (daily, I think?) cold bath sessions led to a measurable delay in her shiver response, i.e she could sit in cold water longer before shivering. She also got full-body MRIs as part of this, and found substantial increases in the amount of brown fat in her body. (Brown fat is the metabolically active fat that produces heat; FWIW she is a very lean individual, so this was not associated with weight gain or significant body composition changes.)

This is all anecdotal and N=1, but at a minimum it suggests that regular cold exposure does drive measurable adaptation, and makes you more resilient to subsequent cold. Increased brown fat would likely increase basal metabolic rate, though what other changes it might induce, and whether these are beneficial or inconsequential I don’t know.

Anyone use cold water as a recovery tool???

I moved your comment under an existing topic, so you can see the current discussion.

He promotes athletic greens so imo that makes his recommendations suspect.

Joe

4 Likes

Ah, the brown fat……maybe there could be something to it?

Living in Florida….I’m pretty sure I don’t have any brown fat but I’d like some!

Joe

It gives perspective to life… Once you jump in the cold water nothing else that you consider “difficult” in your pedestrian life will actually be difficult. V02 max is still going to suck, but you won’t be jumping out of your car to fight the guy that cut you off in traffic.