Changing your FTP

After some long days and week, and months, I have made some gains which are fantastic. “So why the long face?”

After doing SSB (High) I tested at the start to get a baseline FTP, then retested with no gain and then at the start of the build phase which is where I saw the sizable gain (+35%).

The change is far too hard to get through the build phase work. So what next? I’m planning to change my FTP to a lower number at about half the FTP increase.

Here’s my dilemma. Should I reflect the change in FTP in TrainingPeaks as well as I feel that if I don’t then the CTL etc. will be all incorrect?

1 Like

Yes - you should keep your FTP settings consistent between all the applications that have an enterable FTP

1 Like

I was kind of thinking that would be the case @trpnhntr. Thanks!

FWIW, I love SSB HV, but i find it didn’t prepare me for the higher intensities of the build phase. Plus it was leaving out the VO2 max and threshold repeats. Now I always pick MV as it has more of those and I increase the volume in other areas to match HV.

I have done MV with a bit of extra endurance as well after doing HV last winter. I found you can’t add to much though because there is to much intensity in MV to add to much more TSS.

I thought the same thing, so during this quarantine I am doing SSB HV I, and then switching to SSB MV II, with the easy ride taken out and an outdoor ride subbed in each week.