Can we have more variety in the podcasts please?

Do you think the past 200+ episodes did not have enough variety? Or are you extrapolating from the more recent ones and worried all the future ones will be similar?

I’m not debating you about whether there has or hasn’t been enough variety recently. But the focus in the past months has been road racing imho. Also the TT stuff ended in an anti climax etc…

It was a genuine question, I’m trying to understand better where you are coming from. I personally feel like the catalog has a lot of variety, so if you didn’t then I’d want to know more about the topics you want covered that haven’t been or if it’s a depth issue.

If however you thought there was good variety historically but the current theme didn’t interest you as much, I’d advise you to be patient. Clearly the podcast has a deep-dive on particular themes at times. It was TT for a while, MTB for a time, a bunch of other themes and now it’s road racing. TT and MTB weren’t relevant to me personally, but I appreciated that they were to many others. Personally I’m loving the road racing topic as it’s more relevant to me, but I also know it won’t last for ever.

2 Likes

That is the pure nature of the podcast. They are in a constant state of “what is happening now” and that shifts over time.

• #CrossIsComing
  • TT Nate vs the world
  • Leadville prep
  • It’s all about the base…
  • MTB FTW
  • 24 hours of chaos
  • Kona and those silly multi-sport people

These are just examples of the periods that often span weeks (and sometimes months) of coverage. If a particular period is not of interest, there are options to

• Stick with it (and look for relevant pearls hiding within what seems to be unrelated info for your needs… and they are in there),
  • Replace it with repeats of old casts (I am on round 4 of the entire catalog, and still get something new from each old episode).
  • Ignore it and come back to it after a small break.

It’s simply not practical to expect massive variety and bouncing around since so much of the content comes from the questions and the guys themselves with their “active” period of interest (whatever that is given the season). I think they do a good job of retouching on old topics without a complete rehash. They alter the angle and focus just enough to be fresh and offer something additional from the past info.

That and their altering focus based on shifting events from season to season is welcomed by me. I dabble in a bit of everything, so I can learn from just about every topic.

9 Likes

:clap::clap::clap:

I’m guessing your local race wasn’t all 45+. If you can find some 35+ or 45+ cat 5 races I think you’ll be surprised by how safer, smoother and slower they are than a regular cat 5 race.

Try it out and let me know how it goes! Thanks for the kind words too. :smile:

Someday if I ever hire a CEO to replace me I’ll just go and do all these events that users invite us to. For now I just don’t have the time, sorry! I’d love to go though and thanks for the invite!

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to the Cape Epic content. That is one race on top of my bucket list, I just need to find a partner.

4 Likes

While I’m not gonna go and ask for more variety - I would say there’s no shame in going back over topics that have been covered in the past and putting new spins on things (i.e. as our understanding changes on topics). Although I guess all of that comes from questions anyway.

The TR guys must review the podcast numbers so they must know what sparks people’s interest.

1 Like

Regarding the issue of revisiting topics vs. listening to past podcasts: is there a central index of topics vs. podcast episodes some place? Yes, I can search on the forum, but that’s not always efficient. No, I do not volunteer to put such an index together!

Like others, I find the podcasts to be very valuable and entertaining, even when they cover things I have zero probability of ever doing.

2 Likes

No index exists. I started to make one, with the help of others, well before the forum existed. But TR spoke with me and said they were working on a solution that would meet that need. So I killed that project (only covered about 3 episodes) and hoped to see the solution in place. Still waiting.

Thanks. It sounded like something you might dig in to! Whoever is working on that, it’s a big job…so hopefully they’ve got a good way to automate it.

1 Like

I too would like to have an index of the topics answered in the podcasts so that we can go back and review in past episodes?

Each individual podcast has a summary with links.

But I guess we could try to make a single thread as a depository containing a duplicate of all of those in one source… Might be a nightmare over time?

A single thread aggregating the summaries would be good, even if lengthy, because then I could pull up that thread and search just it rather than doing a broader search and pulling up all the replies that reference the summary. You’d obviously have to lock it so that you’d (or whoever curated it) be the only one who could post to it.

1 Like

Yup. Need to control the text entries to minimize poor search results.

I will think it over (if I want to take that on ) and wait to see if TR or others have other thoughts.

1 Like

We are in the process of indexing every word of every podcast episode and making it instantly searchable, and packaging all of that into a really easy to use mini site. It’ll take care of all of these sort of issues :slight_smile:

15 Likes

We can find all the Popeyes references!!!

18 months no Popeyes… :crossed_fingers:

9 Likes

Precisely!

That’s quite the streak, btw. Nice job!! :wink:

5 Likes

I appreciate that the podcasts go for depth rather than breadth. The balance is similar to a graduate seminar which is awesome and a rare jewel in the wasteland of soundbites and clickbait that surround me.

So if you want a particular topic covered, then ask but I would say leave the pacing in their capable hands.

(Nothing wrong with bringing it up for discussion though :wink:)

2 Likes

These guys on YouTube may be able to help you out.

That’s great. I also want a pony.