Buying a lactate meter

Hr can decouple for various reasons, so don’t let that be your only giude. You should buy the lactate meter if you are interested in either staying under, or riding specifically at it as a target. There are many different ways that are close, but don’t always paint the whole picture.

I did a ride today, 3h under lt1. Hr avg 109, IF .61 but there was still 6% decoupling. It was my first ride of that length for the season, but i thought i felt pretty good.

2 Likes

Thanks.

real or vaporware?

anyone know the underlying technology here?

Do not know their specific IP, but the general idea is not terrible but harder than it appears to make robust.

Issue with a start-up or crown funded are the obvious: the product may never come to market. If it does, then it might not be supported for a long period. First versions often have problems and alpha testers get a substandard product. Etc. I wouldn’t spend on it unless I didn’t mind being an alpha tester and seeing my investment end up abandoned.

I find point of care testing and wearable tech to be fascinating. Both in terms of how much promise there is and how hard it is to make it work well in some applications. Along with a price point that works for consumers.

TL;DR - Should be achievable to monitor lactate with micro needle approach. I’d wait for a well functioning product before jumping in though as this space is littered with starts and fails.

Two - Pence as they say!

-Darth

@Power13 – You mentioned BPM in a different thread. Are these other types of devices in your current wheelhouse?

1 Like

Current,y, no…there are a number of things we are looking at, but between patents and regularity issues, finding a clear path to market can be a challenge. We’ll see where things pan out….

Did you buy it?
I am looking into different models and there seem to be models that are in the 400-500 euro range, and models that are in the 100-200 euro range (lacto spark and accutrend plus).

Do you or anyone else have insight as to how good each is?

It seems the 2 and 4 readings shouldn’t matter anyways. Just run a test to establish a baseline. According to the ‘science’, there should be two inflection points. Expect these two be loosely interpreted with real world data. Whatever the readings are at those two points, they are your individual LT1 and LT2. Train them then re-evaluate in a month or two. You should see higher power numbers at those two points. Train at the new power associated with those bio-markers and repeat.

According to science, there really is no inflection point.

Even if you buy the idea that there are two, you can’t readily/reliably identity the second from an incremental exercise test.

I’m not disagreeing as I think the ‘science’ is BS, but what is the point of knowing your lactate concentration at different levels of exercise anyways then - for practical purposes? I mean to say, can it be used as a method or guide training or is it just simply a way to evaluate training after the fact?

For ex, a certain lactate reading was achieved at 300w before the training phase, now that same reading is achieved at 320w.

Must buy - after the high altitude generator. I am at beet juice now - so couple of other shortcuts to try first.

That’s a good question.