Body weight strength training

I do variations of push-ups(Planche push-ups on dip station, elevated feet push-ups, pike push-ups, uneven push-ups, ring push-ups with elevated feet, handstand push-ups) and pull-ups(wide pull, narrow pull, ring pull, uneven pull, inverted row). Sometimes I super-set pairs of push/pull exercises. For core, I’ll do 2 or 3 of Hanging leg raises, leg flutter, hollow hold, plank and side plank, Dumbbell Twist, etc. Sometimes super-set these as well.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!

I’ve been using this app: Intensive workouts & individual training plans | FREELETICS
It feels silly to pay for something when there are so many free resources but I enjoy the workouts, the easy to understand technique explanations, and the fact that I don’t have to do any research on best programs, etc. Nike also has an app “nike training club” that has some nice free workouts and paid ones as well.

(+ 1) on convict conditionning, did it for a year and was in great base shape. i need to get back on it now before my tri training re-starts. you read the book (Convict conditioning, 1 and 2) you disregard the macho dogmatic tone and just do the exercises. It’ll build a good base and help you avoid injury. Takes a while to get better…but you’re building a foundation so that ideally, as you get older, you are less injury prone.

on reddit, there’s a bodyweight fitness subreddit (read here community) and they have a program you can look at to complement or you can use it instead.

When are people doing their strength work? Medium volume and above plans don’t leave much time free, are you doing them on the free days or on the same day as the bike work?

I don’t take days off, strength on Monday Wednesday Friday, bike on Tuesday Thursday Sunday, run on Saturday. It works for me but I’m not suggesting everyone do it. Chad recommends same day as bike but separated by as much time as possible.

1 Like

I do it before the easier days usually.

2 Likes

What kind of impact bodyweight training has to cycling? I guess its better than nothing but if you compare it to heavy weight training? Asking because i dont really do strength training right now… Maybe i should start with bodyweight training(?)

1 Like

It’s easily accessible. Harder to get hurt than heavy weight lifting. And costs a lot less than a gym membership or buying the equipment

2 Likes

Progress is much easier to see with weights on a barbell, but both can provide enough stimulus to help a cyclist get stronger. Probably the biggest weakness of bodyweight training is that our legs are already pretty well adapted to supporting our body weight, so it’s harder to develop exercises that break homeostasis and challenge our legs to adapt. On the other hand, pistol or shrimp squats still seem plenty challenging. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Never done shrimp squat, will try some day. Just tried pistol squad, was able to do with both legs, but no many repeats…

I agree progress is easier to see with fractional weight increases. But it really depends on how you’re trying to break homeostasis. Pushing more weight over time is one way, but there are others:

1. Pushing that weight more times (sets and reps)
  2. Resting shorter amounts between sets (rbi)
  3. Doing each rep quicker (plyometrics) or slower (puts more strain on the stabilizers and core)
  4. Doing exercises in a different order…

One can build a pretty lean and toned physique incorporating dumbells and kettlebells into bodyweight movements. Battle ropes are awesome too.

I’ve spent many years under a barbell (played Aussie rules football at a pretty high level). At 80kg’s I used to bench my bodyweight for 12 reps, and squat 120kg for 12 reps. Yet it always surprised me how smashed I (and my team mates) would feel after going through a bodyweight (or lightly augmented) circuit designed by a fitness guru.

1 Like

Hey guys,

which body weight strength exercises and what set/rep quantity would you recommend for somebody lacking weights?

After watching Chad’s video, I currently do 5 sets of 10 pistol squats per leg, 10 spiderman push-ups and 20 Side planks per side. And I do this 2-3 times per week, after the harder workouts on the bike.

Which other exercises would be beneficial? And do you think the above volume is sufficient to see some benefits during the base phase or should I do significantly more work? (Haven’t done any strength work last season)

Would appreciate any tips and tricks :slight_smile: Thanks, Moritz

I basically do the same 3 exercices but only 1 or 2 sets and the reps depends on the days. Leg squats up to 10 each at the most. Spiderman about 10 to 14 (5 to 7each side) and for side planks 10 is a good average number for me.

I make it 2 to 3 times a week also after hard TR trainings.

It’s not about getting muscled on core and legs its more about getting an extra reinforcement of some muscles (core mainly) so you can endure time spent on the saddle with less back and neck disconfort. At least for me it’s working but I also do some stretching after as well as using the foam roller to stretch my back and massage both my back and legs.

1 Like

I think you can get enough strength exercise, just with your own body weight. You can also buy some really cheap equipment to expand the possible exercise. Like a resistant band or a door frame pull-up bar. I

1 Like

Check out You Are Your Own Gym. I have used the app for a while.

2 Likes

I’ve been following the book, Maximum Overload for Cyclists. You can do 90% of the program with just dumbbells.

I really like it and think that I’m seeing gains after a month and a half. The theory is work over time simulating what you might do on a climb. The main dynamic exercise is the walking lung - mini sets of 6 and a 10 second rest, repeat. Two weeks ago I did four sets with 18 pound dumbbells and my legs were sore for 3 days. I think I’m finally over the DOMS though.

I’ve also been doing Bulgarian squats and step ups with the dumbbells.

I was planning on finding a gym so I could do the dead lifts but I’m getting a lot out of the dumbbells so I’m just going to stick with this for the season.

2 Likes

There is a huge community of athletes doing bodyweight only exercises, myself included. I started because I injured my lower back doing crossfit and I will never go back. Too many people think that heavy weight is the only way to gain strength. You’ll find that you can gain strength and functional fitness using only your body(and a pull-up bar) and a progressive set of exercises. I like Then-X(check it out on Youtube) and I started with a series of books called Convict Conditioning and found a massive number of authors on calisthenics from there. The benefit of bodyweight exercise is that it does not overload the joints like lifting heavy does. It also requires almost no equipment and therefore no gym membership.

1 Like

It works, you can get amazing fitness gains with consistent exercise and there’s (usually) lower chances of injury, and it increases your body awareness.

Pushup
Pullup
Squat
Leg raise
Back Bridge
Handstrand press

From Convict conditioning series, they call these the big 6… they’ll cover most of your muscle groups, they progress from the most basic form of the movement and get you to build on that to increase your strength gradually.

1 Like