Best noise canceling headphones for trainer rides?

Another vote for Airpod Pro’s. Going from basic wired headphones to wireless with noise canceling made a huge difference for me. You don’t realize how much noise there actually is until its muted. Plus they are sweat resistant.

1 Like

I agree that in ear buds are the way to go. I have AirPods Pro, Sony WF-1000XM3 and AirPods.

If you have to have noise cancelling, AirPods Pro are my pick as they are very comfortable. More comfortable than the Sonys. Sonys are a bit bulkier and hang out the ear more. I don’t think you could ever wear them biking outside. They do have the best sound and bass though.

Of the three, my preference is still the original AirPods. I don’t like to have my ears sealed off with the noise cancelling while training. It increases my RPE.

Regarding flying (I have to travel quite a bit) I agree with above that both the AirPods Pro and Sony are great for airplanes and much more compact. Not quite as good as over ear, but if the seal is right, very close. And they fit way better into my man-bag that I put on top of my carry on.

Merry Christmas!

2 Likes

+1. Use the ear plugs they give you while you are on the trainer and you can keep the volume on them at a reasonable level.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Jabra Elite 65t earphones over the past 2 years while on my trainer and during my train commute.
They don’t have active NC but do block the outside noise reasonably well.

2 Likes

I have both Bose and Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones (over ears style) and don’t wear either on the trainer - way too hot and sweaty. Can’t vouch for any NC earbud style, but I do have Bose Soundsport Free and they work great.

1 Like

Yet another AirPod Pro suggestion here. I sold my over ear Bose because these are so convenient and work well.

2 Likes

THANKS everyone. Heaps to think through there. A few things to respond to the above:

• my ears are weird and some headphones just don’t work for me. That includes AirPods. I get that over-ear headphones are likely to be hot, but I’d be surprised if I can find any in-ear options that work for me that have noise canceling. The Powerbeats style (wraps around outside of ear) is the only kind I’ve found other than the big Princess Leia style headphones that actually work for me. So a bunch of your recommendations won’t work.

• @aaronespin really hit the nail on the head - I want noise canceling Bluetooth phones that work for me and are as light and airy as possible. If there was a Powerbeats style options I’d be dead keen to know and try it out - but even their new pro ones aren’t noise canceling. Bummer.

1 Like

Before wearing any headphones on an indoor ride, get 3 sheets of paper towel, keep them joined together.
Put the middle sheet on the top of your head. The left sheet will dangle over your left ear and similarly the right one will dangle over your right ear.
Then put your headphones on top. This will stop 80 to 90% of sweat getting onto your ear pads.

2 Likes

For me, trainer noise isn’t that big of a deal but Concept2 noise is. I was a Jabra earbud user up through the 75t with pretty good results all around.

I’ve dabbled with over the ear headphones, the Sony cans (forgot model id) cancelled all the noise. Downside, I felt like they basically negated the cooling from the fans. :sweat: Since I used https://www.jlabaudio.com/products/flex-sport-wireless-bluetooth-headphones at the gym, I tried them on the trainer and they ain’t bad. Useless on the C2. Not as nearly noise cancelling as the Jabras or Sony’s, but a helluva lot cooler than the Sony’s.

I was never a huge fan of the Airpods as they just didn’t fit me, but I have to say the Airpod Pros are my hands down favorite headphones at the moment. These fit awesome and have rendered all my other headphones idle…and I se them connected to an Android phone. Trainer, C2, cycling, running, airplane, work, gym, etc… they rock. I’d recommend giving them another look even if previous airpod/apple headphones didn’t work for you.

2 Likes

Do the creatives get loud enough to here audio (podcasts/music/etc) over a trainer and some fans?

So. I managed to borrow a pair of Sony WH-1000xm3 for 24 hours and I did a 1hr trainer ride on trainer road this morning - a V02 max session. Tbh they worked extremely well - and although they contributed to my overall heat, I didn’t feel HEAPS uncomfortable. The payoff of hearing high quality audio at lower volume was well and truly worth it.

BUT… here’s why I’m not going to get the Sonys…

They were DRENCHED at the end. Wet all through the ear cups. My sweat would absolutely destroy them. Quickly. I felt bad drying them off and giving them back to the guy I borrowed them from.

But that was well worth trying.

So next …

SO many of you have said I should try the AirPod Pros I’m going to try them in store. I’d be real surprised if they work, but I’m willing to try. Because I’m just not aware of any other buds that are noise canceling that I think would actually stay in my ears and are also water/sweat resistant.

It’s possible what I’m looking for doesn’t actually exist yet! I really want Powerbeats with noise canceling. Which doesn’t exist!

Will let you know how i go. Thanks everyone.

Get some jabra elite sport, then get spin fit ear tips. Getting a seal is the most important thing with iem’s. Spin fit have a special design that lets the tips move for a perfect seal. They come in different sizes so it might take a couple of tries until you find the right size. Which sucks but that’s the way it is. I looked at my jabra tips and used that as a starting point. With my jabra i can’t hear my floor fan which is loud very much.

2 Likes

Apart from ANC there’s always the option to go the isolation route. I’ve been looking at the ISOtunes range and am thinking of ordering a set to test out.

1 Like

The aftershokz Aeroprex are excellent, bone conducting wireless headphones, which should be fine for any sweaty session, while also being useful as headphones you can use on the road (due to being Pretty much the opposite of noise cancelling.

I looked for inears a very long time. Tried about 20 different sorts. However, the Airpods Pro are the ones I got now and they are lovely. Suitable for lifestyle, work and sports and good noise cancellation, also for indoor.

Good battery as well, good battery indication, fast charging, sweat proof, looking neat, don’t fall out.

Highly recommended.

2 Likes

I’m actually a musician and regularly use in-ear monitors (i use Westone). They don’t work for me on the bike. Plus it wrecks them.

Bone conducting stuff is no solution at all for those wanting to REDUCE ambient sound. Hence the request about active noise cancellation.

I already use Apple/Powerbeats (not pro) with Comply tips that seal pretty well. But without the noise cancelling I still find I need to crank them to around 80-90% volume - which, with plenty of hearing damage already (as a musician), is not acceptable for 4-6 hours a week.

I’ve been reading more about AirPod Pros. I really hope the hype is real and they fit better than other apple headphones.

1 Like

Yes, the Creatives are plenty loud. They do a pretty good job sealing out the surrounding noise.

If someone is wanting to give the Jabra Elite Active 65t’s a try, they are $49.99 on Ebay at the moment for factory refurbished pairs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163258244393

1 Like

dont just crank up your iem’s until you get a good sound. You will loose your hearing. There is a reason why pro iem’s have a great amount of isolation. JH audio is 26 db isolation . You must first block the outside world first. If you cant. keep working on it. if you dont your are damaging your hearing. I know professional sound guys. Who are old. who still can hear. You can never heal hearing loss.

2 Likes

SO this is all subjective totally, but I will give my take,

I have several nice sets of headphones, and earbuds, including sennheisers, 1More 3 drivers, and some Mezes. I list those to point out that I’ve got some nice ones, to give reference.

I have used the 1More on the trainer a few times as I cant use over the ear when Im working out, but I’ve got a nice set of Andrew Jones Pioneers in the cave, so I usually just jam out loud.

I said all that to say that I really like the airpod pros. You can switch tips, so for people who usually cant wear earbuds you can probably find one that fits, the noise cancelling is phenomenal, and while they dont sound anywhere near as good as the 1More or even the same planet as the Meze, they are amazingly convenient. I end up using them most of the time for that reason alone. The noise cancelling lets me zone out when I want to, and I can turn it off when I dont. I like them alot.

1 Like