Best noise canceling headphones for trainer rides?

Going to throw my vote in for the airpods pros.
The original airpods didn’t fit my ears at all and any sort of movement would cause them to fall out.
The pros however are fantastic.
They drown out the noise of the fan and the trainer and I can listen to things at reasonable volumes.
They are expensive but I wouldn’t use anything else now

4 Likes

+1 for not using expensive cans on the trainer.

I have WH1000MX2’s and wouldn’t contemplate using them on the trainer.

I just end up using Samsung Galaxy buds. I have also had experience with the BackBeat Fits and they are quite good at their price point also.

1 Like

Just bought them. Noise cancelling works, not yet tested on the bike.

They fit good

1 Like

Jabra elite active 65t. They block out ambient noise like no other earbuds I have tried. I have never had a pair of Bluetooth headphones that I could mow or run saws while using and not have to adjust the volume. The pass through option is a game changer while running and wanting to hear what’s around you.

I can’t imagine wearing over the ear headphones on a bike or running. Yuck. I own the Gen 2 airpods (not pro), two different Jaybirds, and briefly owned aftershocks. I was so glad that I could return the aftershocks within a month. The others are good, but don’t have nearly the noise blocking properties that the Jabras do. It’s a serious drop in decibels. They are about the only thing I use now.

1 Like

I have a pair of the Sony WH1000XM2 (older version) but on the trainer I use TaoTronics noise canceling. Amazon.com and I am very happy with them. I was concerned about the full coverage, but it has not really bothered me. I use multiple fans and I think going without noise canceling would be an adjustment.

1 Like

Mrs. P13 got me the AirPods Pro for Xmas…I had the regular AirPods and didn’t know if I wanted buds inside my ear canal (I use them on the road. Don’t @ me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Tried them in the pain cave and I gotta say, the noise cancelling is excellent. I ride fairly close to our HVAC system and I never realized how load the furnace was when I was riding. Now I don’t hear it at all. For that alone, I am sold.

Need to check the transparency mode on the road…but based on flipping back and forth downstairs, I think it will actually be an improvement to what I currently do on the road.

And the battery life is definitely better than regular AirPods. Did a 3 hour trainer ride Sunday and didn’t get a low battery chime at all. With my old AirPods, I would have had to drop them in the case for 10 minutes to get through the ride.

2 Likes

Great to learn about it. Thanks. But very surprised about your sound quality comment as several reviews aplaude them. What don’t you like about it?

In all of the headphone threads posted in this forum, I’ve never seen any mention of JLab’s. I currently own JLab Audio Epic Air Elite True Wireless Sport Earbuds. Awesome sound quality with 3 different EQ sound settings, over-the-ear design, IP55 dust/water resistance, Bluetooth 5 capability, true noise-cancellation, 6 hours (never tested) charge with a 30+ hour charging case… and did I say awesome sound quality? Great sounding for pounding out those VO2 intervals!

Not the cheapest but I will recommend them… Sound quality is almost as good as my over-the-head wireless Bose QC 35’s

https://www.jlabaudio.com/collections/true-wireless/products/epic-air-sport-true-wireless-earbuds

I also own their “executive” version for using in non-workout situations, like walking at work… also noise-cancelling capabilities.

1 Like

Thanks man good to hear a recent review.

1 Like

JLabs looks pretty good actually - love the wraparound the ear! That’s what I’m after. But sadly looks like they don’t ship internationally - I’m in Australia. Bummer.

I’ve been using my Shure SE 535 with the newest Bluetooth cable for the past couple years. Incredible sound isolation so my fans and drivetrain noise are a non-issue. Sweat has not been a problem at all. I use the black foam tips, but if none of the standard tips work for your anatomy, you can have an audiologist mold tips specifically for you.

I also own Bose QC35ii and like them for what they are, but would never wear them on the trainer due to heat and sweat.

2 Likes

What’s the sound quality like? How does it compare to the regular pods? Thanks.

I think it is really good…definitely better than standard AirPods. But I am also not an audiophile, so…

But I would rate then as very good to excellent.

2 Likes

Same here. Tried many earbuds, but found that AirPods Pro are the best for my lifestyle. Good fit, good battery, good noise canc and versatile. Can use it on my normal bike, work, the trainer, the gym…

I used to use my Bose quiet comfort but they were getting destroyed and wasn’t worth it
Bought Jaybird Vista recently

As a comparison
Sound Bose 10 Jaybird 6-7
FIt Bose 10 Jaybird 8 ( 3 types of shapes and work well but still in ear so less comfortable beyond a few hours)
Noise Cancelling Bose 10 Jaybird 6 (these are not noise cancelling only relying on plastic bud) for ref with an iTunes or constant noise i can still hear drive trains at 75% volume). Netflix etc is not constant sound so you just hear the turbo or other people
Price Bose 4 Jaybird 7 half the price but were still £150 in the UK
Sweat resistance Bose 2 Jaybird 10

I guess overall for the money the sound is ok and they are sweat resistant and fit well but don’t expect to be blown away on sound for sports specific buds or great noise cancelling. My wife also has a pair for running and they stay in well using another shape bud that fits her better than other headphones have.
Its not just the inner bud its the whole shape of the headphone that’s a rubber material that is removed so its you ear shape not just the canal.

They connect well via Bluetooth and haven’t disconnected once yet. Battery lasts a long time.
I would recommend them but these aren’t your go to music listening buds, they’re just for sport/commuting etc.

2 Likes

One more vote for the Airpods Pro. Sound quality is improved compared to the regular ones mostly due to better ear sealing. And the noise cancelling/transparency mode is great!

1 Like

Here is what I use and really like: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XB950N1-Wireless-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B01MUGEYT7

If you are patient you can usually find a sale on them. That pack a serious kick with a lot of bass which is perfect for training.

Agree with everything you said. The noise cancelling is pretty nice.

1 Like

I use this cheap ones from Amazon and I love them. Admittedly they don’t have noise cancelling. But they insolate noise very very well. They are very light and you can change tracks with a click. Battery life is at least 3h (never tried more than that).

Best bang for buck

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ENACFIRE-E18-Bluetooth-Headphones-Earphones/dp/B07CKQHCBL

I feel kind of bad because I posted this in two different threads to try to get feedback. If mods have a better way to do this, let me know please.

I have been a huge AirPods Pro fan but want to share an issue and see if anyone else has experienced it. The noise cancelling is just phenomenal. My wife, daughter, and I all love them for day to day music and movie usage. But…I have now had to replace 2 different earpieces. Apple support has been superb and has replaced them both, but it’s been the exact same issue both times. Crackling develops in an ear. It’s especially bad when riding on the trainer with the fan blowing in your face. It starts small, but soon becomes a constant crackling. Interestingly, if you turn the noise canceling completely off (not in “transparency” mode, but “OFF” mode), it goes away completely. I have to think it has to do with the fan or sweat.

Anyone else had this issue? If so, did you just keep replacing pieces, or switch to something else?