Best earphones indoor trainer 2023

Hoping to get a steer on recommendations for best earphones for indoor trainer in 2023?
Hoping to mute the noise from trainer and Vacmaster. Thanks :pray:

Best overall wireless earbuds for iPhone are the AirPods Pro 2nd gen.

Best for pure noise cancellation are the Bose Quiet Comfort Earbuds 2.

For more general fitness earbuds if you also want to use at gym, running the Beats Fit Pro and Jabra Elite 7 Active are both popular.

5 Likes

I have a pair of wired Bose sports headphones that I love and use on the trainer, probably 200+ days a year. I see they have a wireless one too, which I’d be interested in trying. One thing that makes me worry about wireless is that I sweat a lot, and sometimes when one part starts to come loose, it is nice to know that I have a bit of a short cord to grab onto.

1 Like

Are you looking for wireless? I have had good experience with the JayBird Vistas & more recently with the JBL UnderArmour True Wireless Streaks. The fit is snug and tends to block out all the noise. The JBLs have a pass through mode which should mean if someone comes into the room, you can talk to them without removing the buds. But I have found in reality this doesn’t work well.

I have had a bad experience with the JLAB Go Air Pops. I would use these as a back up earbud if I forgot to charge my others, but they’re overall pretty bad (extremely cheap though).

1 Like

Best wireless noise cancelling in ears are the Apple Pros. They block wind noise like no other in ears that I’ve tried. Unfortunately, I’ve had to warranty several of them, but Apple replaces them very fast.

1 Like

AirPod pro’s. Stole my wife’s that were a year old. Have been using them daily for 12 months. No issues.

1 Like

I’m a long time Powerbeats Pro user. They’re the ones that hook over the year. Running, riding, indoors, outdoors, full downpour, etc., they were awesome! Unfortunately, after almost 4yrs, the batteries seem to be done. I’m lucky to get 30min these days. No noise cancellation, but they seal well and work well. I’d recommend these.

Previously, not a fan of the AirPods, hence I bought the Powerbeats Pro. I prefer the comfort, but especially the seal of silicone ear tips. In Dec, I finally had enough of the battery issues and decided to check out the new AirPod Pros 2nd gen. I bought a pair. Why? They have silicone ear tips. I’m an iPhone and MacBook user. The sound quality is very good. The noise cancellation feature is way better than I expected. I didn’t want to buy another set of Powerbeats Pro because they haven’t been updated since their debut in 2018.

Short version:

• Powerbeats Pro - Over ear hooks, in ear silicone tips, great sound, Apple chip (H1)
  • AirPods Pro 2nd gen - Excellent noise cancellation, in ear silicone tips, great sound, Apple chip (H2)

edit: Both of these are w/silicone tips which I know some people absolutely detest. Also, I have friends who wear over the ear cans which I cannot fathom due to heat and sweat.

1 Like

Just to add, I bought a pair of the Beats Fit Pro (the in ear ones) and the noise cancellation isn’t even close to the quality of the AirPods Pro when you’re on the bike with a fan blowing in your face. They do sound good off the bike though.

1 Like

Why not passive sound isolation on the trainer? These I’ve been using for 18 months, rock solid, but i only use them on the trainer. And they cost a whopping $40. I have no idea if the microphone works, but the sound is fine and dependable.

Soundcore by Anker Life A1 True Wireless Earbuds, Powerful Customized Sound, 35H Playtime, Wireless Charging, USB-C Fast Charge, IPX7 Waterproof, Button Control, Bluetooth Earbuds, Commute, Sports https://a.co/d/0eos28J

2 Likes

If you are on Android, the Samsung Galaxy Buds2 Pro are very good. The noise cancelling works well despite my three fans blowing at me. Some other earbuds get messed up by the fans and I have to turn noise cancelling off, but on the Buds2 Pro I haven’t had that issue. Overall sound quality is very good and Samsung has a lot of good deals when you go to their website. You often can do a trade-in deal where you can get quite a bit of $ for any old crappy pair of earbuds you trade-in, even wired ones. They also offer Educational discounts if you are in school or work at an academic instition.

I also have the Google Pixel Buds Pro and I’d give a slight edge to the Buds2 Pro over the Pixel Buds. Noise cancellation is a little better on the Buds2 Pro and they are smaller and tuck away in your ear a little nicer.

Off topic, but for outdoor riding these are the absolute bomb: OpenRun Pro Sport Headphones - Engineered for Sound | Shokz Official
I got them at Christmas and I’m blown away how good they are outdoors. I had an old pair of bone conduction headphones and they were terrible. These are so good on long rides with about 10 hour battery life, fit easily on around helmet and sunglasses, and have easy push button controls. Being completely open ear there are no issues hearing traffic and your surroundings.

4 Likes

I use my Sony WF-1000XM3s, which is the prior gen to the current WF-1000XM4. Noise canceling is very good – it cuts out the fan and any trainer noise. Sound quality is excellent. I want good sound, so I don’t mind spending a bit more for that.

2 Likes

BackBeat FIT 6100 Wireless Bluetooth Headphones. Sweatproof and Water-Resistant.
These have been excellent and are a great value.

1 Like

Look no further. The xm4’s are the way to go.

1 Like

My wife and I wear these on our trainers OpenRun Pro Sport Headphones - Engineered for Sound | Shokz Official and they’re great because you don’t have buds in your ears. They’re also great for outside. Note I have a Tacx NEO 2T and my wife a Wahoo Kickr, so trainer noise is next to nothing for both, so if you have a noisier trainer these might not be the best.

3 Likes

AirPods Pro.

1 Like

Hi recently tested 3 earbuds to use both on the trainer and running:

• Bose Sport Earbuds: Terrible quality, I had to ask for a replacement right away, and even on the second pair the in-ear detection failed within days. No noise cancelation and not that stable in the ear. The Bluetooth connection is hit-and-miss.
  • Jabra Elite 7 Active: Good quality and excellent noise canceling. Unfortunately the design without “fins” doesn’t work for me. I tried in every possible way and they always fell off. Once they fell while I was on an airplane and recovering them was a huge hassle. That’s when I returned them.
  • JBL REFLECT FLOW PRO: Amazing! First of all, they are super-stable. I can finally run without re-adjusting my earbuds even once, no matter how much I sweat. Noise-canceling is really good, maybe a little below Jabra. Bluetooth connection and touch control are rock-solid. They are my new best friend.
2 Likes

+1 for the Shokz bone conduction earphones. I swear by these as the sound quality is excellent and it’s nice to be able to have a conversation if my wife/kids come in mid ride to ask me something vital that couldn’t possibly have waited until i wasn’t 1.5 minutes deep into a VO2 max interval or in the last 5 mins of a killer Zwift race… I’ve got a Neo2 though so there is no noise i’m trying to block out.

4 Likes

I have the Jabra Elite 7 Pro. Sound is great, noise cancelling, pass through mode, but they don’t fit me quite right even after swapping different tips around and I occasionally lose one which can be annoying (May be different for you). And, they have this thing for an “Auto Shutoff” when you take them out of your ear, and every once in a while they start doing it when my head is down looking at the stem on a hard interval which sucks. But for now, they’re still what I’m using.

I need something with noise cancelling (My trainer may not be loud, but my Lasko fan blasting me in the chest IS) and a better fit right now…

1 Like

Bose sports earbuds. Superb sound and they stay perfectly in my ears during hard intense intervals where I am moving more on the bike. I did use Galaxy Earbuds which are ok but moved around when doing the hard stuff.

1 Like

I’ve tried a lot, in the end only the “Sennheiser Sport True Wireless” really convinced me.

1 Like