Anyone check out The Kneesovertoesguy's advice on youtube?

seems so far like it’s based on athletic ability so not sure how it translates to cycling, but seems like it has to have some relationship. Lot of focus on mobility, strengthening and lengthening of legs, ankles, knees, hips.

1 Like

I haven’t checked it out yet, but coincidently was just told about it (and an app IIRC, have to find my appt notes) from the biomech engineer that has been adjusting my fit due to a knee issues.
He’s got a lot of cycling experience - Judd Van Sickle | Sports Medicine | UC Davis Health - so I’m going to look at it.

He mentioned that someone he knew was seeing good results on the running front.

Part of my knee treatment and ongoing improvement (still very much a work in progress, a year and PRP treatment later) has been strength/mobility stuff, especially hips/hamstrings/glutes. I’m pretty convinced that for those of us that drive a desk for 8+ hours a day and don’t already do enough, any mobility/strength work is beneficial, and that general core/posterior chain strength and health are important to injury avoidance.

1 Like

I used his knee-ability program about 2 years ago to address persistent knee pain that I was getting from running/gym use. TL:DR - it worked.

It is quite involved, though; there are 3-5 sessions a week, and even though he/they will say you don’t need a gym, it’s much easier with one. You upload the vids to his/their app and the coach gives you feedback and tweaks the progression. I found them pretty responsive to queries when I had issues, and I think it was $39/month when I used it, which struck me as reasonable.

I noticed improvements after about a month, and my - admittedly fairly mild - issue went away totally after 3-4.

1 Like

I signed up for this program yesterday. I did my first workout in the “Zero” phase. It’s 12 weeks and requires no equipment. I will update this thread as I progress, but I felt like the workout was good. Basic mobility and building block type exercises.

2 Likes

I’ve been using his program and it’s a decent value for the money.
If you’re looking to get in shape with this program you won’t, but you will certainly strengthen your tendons, and pre-hab your knees/hips.

The program is largely derived from the work of Charles Poloquin and Frans Bosch. Specifically, how they employed weighted exercises to increase mobility (Poloquin step up, Jefferson Curl etc).
I’ve been using it for hip/knee rehab and have noticed an increase in mobility.
Overall, I’d recommend this program for pre-hab, it certainly can make a difference for general physical resilience.

The podcast linked below dives into what the program entails, and Ben’s study of Poloquin and Bosch. Ben also goes over a variety of small details related to how he employs the KOTG program around other athletic training (basketball).

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinkin of doing it to get in shape for some heavier lifting in the offseason. Will probably do some of the dialed health routines along with these. My main goal is to be able to run without pain and to be able to squat without tweaking my knees. Hoping some of these ancillary leg muscles and strengthening will give me a marginal gain on the bike.

1 Like

The program sounds like a good fit for you! I’d do the dialed health program along with these. FWIW I’m a powerlifter with an endurance habit, and the KOTG program can certainly be ran alongside another strength program. Personally, I do it after my lifts and it works well.

Did you continue to cycling while you were doing the knees over toes program?

Yes, though not much in the first month. Partly because it was sore (though cycling actually bothered it much less than running or gym stuff) and partly because of limited time.

1 Like

I started using many of his exercises a year ago and really helped finally recover from a full MCL tear the year before and half a dozen partial ACL tears prior to that. As a minimum I now do ATG split squats and Nordic curls 3x/wk, either as part of a strength session or run warmup. And recently started walking backwards up steep hills whenever out with the dogs - surprisingly effective!

2 Likes

I watched his youtube channel cover to cover in Jan. Took what I thought were the most valuable exercises out of it and started integrating them in to my leg days. My legs feel SO DANG GOOD after my ATG exercises. I can immediately get lower and push more in the traditional strength exercises. Years of cycling as my only sport and doing a desk job meant I had a lot of strength within a really limited range of motion, but, I can’t sit on my heels, do a full squat, or get up from seated easily without using my arms. I had started doing a strength training as recommended by TR, but, found I was never going to push enough weight to force adaptations in the muscles I wanted to be a better cyclist without strengthening my knees, vmo, psoas, tibialis, and the rest of the chain from low back to feet. I’m only a few weeks into it, but, I think the ATG exercises are going to be a game changer for me.

4 Likes

Reviving this thread.

I just started out with the ATG program, as my knees, tibs have been through hell recently. Interested to see what progress will be made.

Anyone else seen this guy and/or used the program?

Thinking about adding some exercises, what is everyone using.

I do not feel like paying $50 a month to gain the exercises

Hitting a wall with injuries (knees, hamstring, low back), and am extremely fragile it seems like especially when running. Diving into his youtube currently, is it worth signing up for the program?

1 Like

I haven’t bought the program, but I’ve watched a ton of his videos and incorporated a fair amount into my normal routine. Mainly nordics, those box step downs, back extensions and some other posterior chain things.

It should be easy to develop your own routine from only watching a few videos and using common sense and knowing your own weaknesses. Might be worth the expense if you’re someone who needs the accountability and someone to give you the specific structure every day.

It’s just progressive overload, working muscles largely in an eccentric motion and/or at end range of motion.