Adding Garmin Connect worth it?

I’ve only been wearing the watch since about a month so it could still be adjusting to me.
The season in Belgium is kind of over so I’m training less right now, I try to do a workout on the bike about every other day. Averaging roughly 500-600tss per week (some times less and I have an easy week every 3-4 weeks, these have about 300tss).

In the summer my volume tends to go up and my harder weeks can go up to 750tss (averaging between 550 and 650 for 3 week, than take it easy 1 week at around 350tss).

I usually keep track of my training load with intervals.icu so I’d guess that would keep me from overtraining. I do think this year I may have slightly overdone it though :wink:

1 Like

Oh wow I didn’t know that. I’ll keep double recording the TR workouts ! Thanks

1 Like

Yeah, if you go into connect and look at the data from the TR import, you’ll see those two fields are missing.

1 Like

I think most of us lost that battle long ago, I know I have. At this point there are so many different ways my street address is available on the internet that it is literally public knowledge. And that is before someone starts hacking “private” databases.

When the bad guys come, they’ll have found me via Google or one of the other 8 million places my address is stored electronically, one more fitness tracker does not worsen my already bad odds :wink:

2 Likes

I like Connect. It does a great job of presenting ride data. It’s light on analysis, but I don’t need that.

I ride a road bike outdoors occasionally and really value the PM data I get when riding. I’d like to get that same data on my indoor rides, but riding a Smart Bike proves to be rather stupid in what I trade off in logged telemetry. Apparently the only way to get the data comparable to an outdoor ride is to use the Tacx Training App, and, well, I’d really rather not.

Getting our ride telemetry shouldn’t be so damn difficult. Why can’t more (every) app grab that data, and display it? Connect displays the data from outdoor rides and I can’t get the telemetry out of their ‘smart’ bike. It’s a good world, if you follow their rules. It sucks.

But for the meantime, I have all my rides in Connect, and can compare, among what data there is, between rides. Again, I like Connect, and have been debating dropping Strava because Connect isn’t all judgy like Strava seems to be getting lately. Their ‘Zwift Local Leader’ announcement was a cruel and pointless feature for both of them. TrainerRoad is awesome for training, I just need to see how many hoops I’d have to go through to get outdoor quality/quantity data.

I’ve tried capturing trainer rides with the Edge, and it didn’t go well. Not sure if it’s gotten better.

I bought a Garmin fenix, and it was head and shoulders overkill for me and what I was looking for. I use an Apple Watch, and then just as a ‘fitness monitor’. The fenix had issues with dropped connections, and the idea of looking at a device on my wrist got to me. Trees and road signs hurt. They don’t bend nearly enough to make me want to hit one. Others have probably posted more helpful info, but I feel the pain of getting access to telemetry, and comparing data. It really should be easier.

It can take about 4 weeks of data for a new Garmin to fully get to know you and your normal training patterns.

A lot of the Garmin metrics (recovery, VO2Max, Load, etc) are based on % of maxHR. So if you don’t have a good idea of what your true maxHR is, a lot of these metrics can be off. The value of a lot of these metrics will improve if you update it with your best estimate of your maxHR, rather than just using the age-based default. NB. It is best to update this is Garmin Connect and sync to the watch, rather than editing it on the watch itself.

Also, with the Recovery Adviser, it is normal for there still to be some hours remaining for the next workout. Pay attention to the color of the RA - if it is less than 24 hours, it will show up as a green ring and you should be good to go, if it is yellow (over 24 hours) then you should be a bit more cautious - perhaps a lighter or shorter workout. If it is red (over 48 hours), then scheduling some recovery is probably a good idea. Most training plans assume some residual fatigue.

2 Likes

In addition to HR (lactate threshold and max), I believe you need to set Activity Class:

based on how many hours/week you train.

1 Like

Oh this is great, my activity level was set at 6, I changed it to 8. That should make a difference.

Also, my maxHR was set at 185, I got up to 190 last mtb ride so I changed that as well.

Should put my efforts into a more realistic perspective. Thanks a lot!

1 Like