Adaptive Training and Workout Alternatives

A couple of days ago I replaced tomorrow’s 60 minute sweet spot workout, Redondo +2, with Mount Major +2, which is a 90 minute sweet spot workout, both having the same PL of 8.6. I used the Alternates section within the original workout and swapped to the new workout using the Replace button but AT keeps offering me the original Redondo +2 workout as a suggested adaptation. Have ignored the adaptation but it keeps suggesting it.

Not a big deal but wondered if anyone else had seen this when using workout alternates?

If you are doing the replacement in advance (hours or days), AT seems to want to reset to the original offering from my use of the tool. Kind of a pain to have to deal with the suggested adaptation, so I ignore the flag “Adaptation Pending” message if I plan to swap early.

This could lead to issues though, if you are swapping something like a weekend workout (a few days ahead), but are doing one or more other workouts before then because you get an “all or nothing” adaptation offering at the moment. If you do a Thresh workout and get an appropriate adaptation offered, but have your future swap too, you can’t pick and choose between them to keep or skip.

That limitation leads me to only swap on the day of (or even moments before) a planned workout, so I don’t get those issues.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast response! In the future I think I’ll swap at the last moment rather than days in advance.

1 Like

Like that, I normally look and mentally plan the alternate, but don’t pull the trigger until I’m about to do the workout.

2 Likes

That’s what I do, and if I know days in advance that there’s an alternate I want to do, I’ll throw in an annotation on the calendar as a reminder (e.g. “swap with X”.)

2 Likes
  • Ditto.

If I replace a workout just before attempting the workout, does AI treat things differently if I select one of the alternates offered versus if I replace with a workout from the total workout list (assume replacing with same type/length/PL as workout being replaced)?

Thanks

No, it’s fine and I do it all the time.

Lol, your response to my original question was fully satisfactory until I replaced a workout with a non-alternate. Then AI proposed changes to next few workouts in that category but skipped the new workout I put in. So this alternate, non-alternate workout replacement is not as simple as I had thought. Was hoping to get more context asking this question. Does that help clarify my apparent dismissal of your original response?

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking.

Did you complete the alternate workout that you selected? If you complete it and your post-workout survey indicated that it wasn’t too hard, then AT might adjust your following workouts up in PL. Or down if you struggled / didn’t finish.

If you haven’t completed the workout, I don’t think AT makes any adjustments for it.

That helps. Thank you. No, I didnt complete it.

I’m dropping the topic. I think I got my answers.

1 Like