12hr Nurse Block Schedule Training Help

I’m new to TR and tried to search this topic but failed. After taking 6 years off exercise, I joined and am ready to go. I’m a nurse that works a 12hr blocked schedule. I work Mon-Wed one week and Wed-Fri the following. All 630a-7p. I don’t have any problem with before work training, but am uncertain what the best days each week would be for my newly started LV base program. It has me doing 3 days of TR a week. I’d like to do two days of strength a week as well. I’m solo with a dog and feel I should get home to let her out ASAP after work. Any suggestions as to making the workout days fall in the best spot is appreciated!

How about something like below? 12hr hour work does are a lot of stress, so I would try to prioritize rest on those days. If you have to/want to do a workout on work days, I’d do gym work over TR. You should be able to move the gym work around freely, but I wouldn’t do it on an off day (I do show one day like that, but thats because you have no bike days immediately coming up). You can search through the forum, but I believe stacked days are better (bike in the morning, weights in the afternoon/evening).

M - work
T – work
W - work
Th – TR + Gym
F - Off
S – TR + Gym
Su - Off

M – TR
T – OFF + Gym
W – work
Th - work
F - work
S - TR
Su – TR + Gym

M – work
T – work
W - work
Th – TR + Gym
F - Off
S - TR
Su – Off + Gym

Yeah it’s a problem with only four days straight for training each week, especially considering that the LV plans do not have an easy/recovery session.

My first approach would be to think of your time in two week blocks:
M work
T work
W work
Th TR
F TR, gym
S recovery
Su TR, gym
M recovery
T TR, gym
W work
Th work
F work
S TR
Su TR, gym

But – given 12 hour shifts [with lots of walking?] – that only leaves 2 days for recovery every two weeks. So I’d start this off by dropping the second [middle] TR session each week. That gives you four days of recovery each two weeks – much better. Then, if / when this proves manageable, I’d add in a 1-hour recovery / endurance ride to replace the second [middle] TR ride each week. Gradually does it.

Only if this seems do-able would I put the middle / second planned ride back in. And I’d try to do it with the plan outlined at the bottom.

Perhaps the best way to think about this is as a duathlete – three days walking, two days riding. My son is a nurse; he regularly walks 10 000 - 12 000 steps every day of work. That’s not a desk job.

[Of course, if you are at a desk, things change: I’d definitely fit three TR sessions in – like this:
M work
T work
W work, TR
Th recovery
F TR, gym
S recovery
Su TR, gym
M recovery
T TR, gym
W work
Th work
F work, TR
S recovery
Su TR, gym.
That gives you two recoveries every week.]

Anyhow, welcome to the TR world. Best of luck. Let us all know how it goes.

Hmmmm… that would be a tough schedule to plan around, but the two suggestions above seem pretty reasonable to me.

I’m in a similar boat. I also work 12 hour shifts, at a hospital, as a paramedic.

I agree with the above that I generally do not train on work days. I have co-workers who exercise before work, but 12 hours of running around at work seems like enough to me. So, I just try to get as much rest as I can between those shifts. I also work three in a row, but mine are always Saturday, Sunday, Monday. So, then, I do my low volume TR plan on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.

Hey there nurse here as well. I don’t have a set schedule but I would agree that doing the gym workouts before work are a great idea. This would free up your days off to do your TR workouts outside when its nice out, or add base miles, group rides, etc. I’ve never had luck working out after work because it seems to mess up my sleep. I work 12p-12a though so it may be different for you. Welcome to TR and your new addiction :smiley:

Thank you all for your feedback. The one thing I do have going for me is I am in the OR, so I am able to sit from time to time when the surgeries are going on. The downside is, it’s not conducive to hydration and nutrition throughout the day. Its a travel assignment too, so schedule will change come June. I think the thing that made me most nervous starting out was doing a bunch of workouts, and then potentially not working out for like 6 days, it’s not ideal.
I think I can can still get in the 3 TR workouts a week, and the gym may be sporadic. I’m gonna keep playing with the schedule today while I’m in a long case using your feedback. I was just able to do my first ramp test before work. Can only go up from here! Thanks again and I’ll follow up with what I decided.