Your FTP improvements

off topic but how do you find those NoPinz suits? Thinking about getting the P1 Road one.

First FTP drop, I’ll take it :grin:

19 Likes

Humble person’s records here. Such humble. wow.

Restarted my training this May(Mid Apr to Mid May totally zero workout). Weight always around 63kg. 173cm(5’8"). All low volume plans with one~two added endurance or sweet spot workout. Power was measured using misuro b+ with Elite Volano.

May(SSB) - 190 (ramp test + manual adjust regarding previous fatigue, 3w/kg)
Jun(SSB) - 195 (ramp test x 0.96)
Aug(SPB) - 199 (ramp test + kolie moore prog1 test)
Sep(SPB) - 203 (kolie moore baseline test)
Oct(SSB, custom) - 210 (kolie moore baseline test)
Nov(GB) - 217 (ramp test today, 3.4w/kg)

Gained more than 20 watts for 6 months. Last year ramp test took me into over-training state. I thought my growth of aerobic endurance was not enough under over-training state, so this time took different multiplier for ramp tests to back off a little bit and let my aerobic endurance be nurtured. After some time I used kolie moore ftp test and it gave me good ftp estimate. Today I did ramp test and 217w is what TR suggested me. That value was in range of my expectation. I feel like I’m average TR person now as I can use ramp test for ftp estimation.

3 Likes

I am reading about all your FTP increase… I am new to structured training but been cycling for all my life starting a 12 (racing from 12 to 21, no trainer, all by myself) and now, at 43, I am always on a plateau and not improving myself, I think I am always overtraining, I dont like smooth ride, it’s always 100% which is bad.

So my question is, seeing all your nice improvments, not a lot of you talk about volume… is it possible to improve a “plateau’ing” ftp of around 230-240 with only low volume training plan (I will be adding a 4th riding endurance days per week too as prescribed by some of you)??

Nov 2020 - SSB1+2 - 67kg - 213 (-11.3%) - 3.18W/kg

So, in August I got back onto SSB1 and subsequently onto SSB2, adherence was down to averaging 1-2 TR rides a week and longer MTB ride at weekends. Also, the baby (10months old) decided that sleep was now not something she wanted us to have anymore! Felt like my stamina was good but my top end was suffering which I assume is reflected in my lower FTP. I was really suffering recently on workouts at 240 and had to dial them back or even bin them off part way through. 213W feels good and right at the moment so hopefully it will all pick back up again :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Recently people talks about weight loss, so looks like that “you” in your post is me, right? I learned some techniques regarding plateau during my learning process even though I haven’t yet met plateau. Things I can remember would be like…

• Add 10min or more endurance riding after every workout. This would eventually topped up as 30min to 1h to or even more added endurance hour per week.
  • Obviously, mid volume
  • You need more stress or more rest. Ask Cycling Coach covered topic on plateau before.
  • Make your own plan about progressing over Sweet Spot or vo2max. Different stimulus is always asked for plateau situation.
  • Manipulate training density
  • Training as prescribed, not over-do it. Hunter Allen’s explanation.
  • Maybe 4th riding better be sweet spot training. Nate’s words in Kolie Moore Podcast wisdom thread give me think like that.

If you want more detailed information or discussion, it would better be discussed over separate or existing thread about plateau, I think.

2 Likes

Well thank you for that feedback it’s all interesting and I will go read what you gave…

But I was more questioning the Low Volume training plan, is it realistic to think we can improve our FTP (already around 230-240) with only the low volume training ? (even when I ride outside during summer, I never do more than 2h rides but they are pretty intense ride).

So, what is low volume for you?
I am not using TR as a trainings software, but I can thoroughly recommend Dylan Johnson‘s YouTube Channel:
Here he details how to make the most of 6hours a week: How to get Fast with a 6 Hour Training Week - YouTube
Also, Dan Lloyd, a former pro, and now 40y/o presenter of GCN did a challenge on how fit he could get in 10 weeks on 4hrs/week:
First video of the series: How Fit Can Dan Get In 10 Weeks? - YouTube
Result video: How Fit Did Dan Get In 10 Weeks? | Zero To ...? - YouTube

Depending on how low your low volume is, I really think you can raise your FTP. My main reason to believe that, is you saying, you are new to structured training. Structured training, especially when breaking up a year into seasons/ phases, and focusing on progressive overload, can make all the difference in performance.

Also, I‘d advice against focusing too much on FTP alone. It is an important figure, but when focusing on a higher FTP, you might end up becoming very good at FTP tests (20 minute time trials) and not much else. It is important, but a little overrated in my mind.

1 Like

look at my previous post for my results on LV (+ a little extra ~ 5 hours, ~300 TSS):

Also keep in mind that your weight is also a factor in this story, if you are 60kg, 240 is pretty above average on TRLV training, but on 100KG you can probably improve on both your FTP + weight :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, nice… ok, well first, my Low Volume is the TrainerRoad one, so 4 hours a week (more or so) plus my 1h-1h30 endurance ride that Iwill add (so 4 training a week between 1h to 1h30).

and I am 76 to 80 kg depending on how much weight training I do LOL.

nvalphen, I will go read your previous post, seems like the same thing I do :slight_smile:

(Edit: after reading your post nvalphen, that’s exactly what I wanted to read, with around 5h/week and 300 tss, it seems really possible to improve my fitness (not only my FTP, thx Aeroiseverything :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

52 y/o Female, new to cycling training in June, Tacx Flux S
now using plan builder to train for hillclimb races in 2021 (targeting Whiteface)

Update:
6/17/2020 start of SSBMV1: FTP 128 @ 67.0kg (1.9 w/kg)
7/28/2020 start of SSBMV2: FTP 154 @ 67.3kg (2.3 w/kg)
9/8/2020 start of GPBLV: FTP 165 @ 66.8kg (2.5 w/kg)
9/25/2020 restart SSBMV1: FTP 171 @ 65.8kg (2.6 w/kg)
11/10/2020 end SSBMV1: FTP 181 @ 65.0kg (2.8 w/kg)

20 Likes

Super easy to figure out how many watts you’ll be doing in an interval or what % of FTP you’re doing at all times. You must be insanely fast on the flat!

1 Like

Beast :muscle::+1:

1 Like

Very true :grin: yupp flats is all i do :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been on TR for a year and a week. When I started my FTP was 241W, it’s now 272W (both figures from Ramp Tests). That’s on the Low Volume plans plus whatever Z1/2 rides I wish to do at the weekend.

As above, the FTP value is really about aligning you and the intended workload.

3 Likes

Hi there, I’m new in the Trainerroad forum. I would like to share my experience in FTP gains, outside Trainerroad, and I will come back in a month and report how my gains went , after doing something structured for the first time!

My training regimen, if you could call it that, used to be based on a short commute, erratic training rides, and some long rides on weekends. I got a power meter , and my FTP tests yielded 280 - 288 watts for years.

Now, with the Covid-19, this all changed. No commute, and a month and a half of unstructured but consistent sweet-spot kind of work with Zwift (I know I know…). After this phase, I tested at 301 watts.
I enjoyed my new-found form for a bit, but due to other things happening in my life, I wasn’t too consistent in my riding during the summer and up to October.

I resumed my menu of sweet-spot on the turbo, and long rides on the weekends, but I started reading about Trainerroad so here I am . I signed up last Thursday and I did the ramp test. I tested at 306. Against the advice of the plan builder, I chose the lowest duration of the high volume plan, and I am currently in the second week of the Sweet Spot base. I figured that I am used to riding 40-45 hours a month so 9 hours a week should be fine.

I am excited about what can truly structured training do! If just throwing a bit of sweet-spot into my training got me from 288 to 306… I am willing to commit to a sweet-spot based program, and so far I am impressed with the quality of the advice I find in Trainerroad (both in-workout and in the podcasts).

7 Likes

6’4" 242lb 51yr old Male just got back into cycling after 15yrs. Essentially no athletic activity…completely “off the couch.” Got my bike on a Saturday, did my first Ramp Test that Sunday…came up at 147. Low Volume plan using Plan Builder for gravel races next year with first A race in mid-March. Just completed my first 6 week block of SSBLV1 and retested this evening. 190! The Noob Gains are REAL.

My wife isn’t nearly as stoked about it as I am, so I’m hoping someone here will be LOL.

22 Likes

Great first results there, don’t forget to track your W/KG as like myself, you’ll make gains there too and notice them out on the road, as you go through the plans I can see you losing a few pounds too… think I lost approx 30lbs without even changing my eating habits, just by doing regular training… good luck on your journey and the pending A race in March and enjoy that journey.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’m down 8lbs so far without even trying and look forward to getting back much closer to my old riding weight of 190lbs. W/Kg is on my radar for sure…was 1.29 when I started, and is now 1.73…a ways to go but looking forward to the journey.

Really great to be able to be as time efficient as I am using TR as well. I don’t feel like I’m adding a bunch of additional cognitive load to my weekly existence…I just do workouts…suffer…profit.

3 Likes

@motard , your “off the couch” gains aren’t done. You’ll see several more big jumps with both the base increase and the muscular improvement. I’m stoked someone even taller than me (even if only nominally so) is on a bike, riding hard.

I’d love to have a big hole in the air to follow, rather than following a bunch of 5’10" x 155lbs guys around.

My wife and kids ignore my performance improvements, too, so you’ll always find an ally in me. My kids, 8/6/4, have a hard time comprehending how I can work so hard to ride only to have my best placing in a masters race at 3rd… But two of the kids don’t actually remember the last time I even pinned on a number, so there’s that.

4 Likes