Kolie Moore Podcast wisdom

Because of some of the other links posted, I’ve been doing a deep dive into this podcast.

This podcast is filled with nuggets of wisdom. A few things stood out.

1. Most people have an FTP set too high especially if they are an anaerobic skewed person and doing a ramp, 8 min, or even 20 minute test.

2. The RPE of SST should be pretty easy. The RPE of an FTP workout should also be doable. It should feel like a slow burn. It’s not nearly the intense RPE you feel when doing an 8min or 20 minute test. If SST is crushing you, see #1.

3. He usually prescribes FTP workouts below FTP - even 10% below which then overlaps with SST.

Watts Doc #2 - You’re training too hard for Crits - this was a good one. It reinforces that 99% of what most of us do is aerobic, not anaerobic.

Watts Doc #3 - Is there anything special about 2x20 - some interesting points about FTP training here. Thinking about building out how long you can work at FTP rather than raising your FTP. Better to increase time @ 90-95% FTP during a build block.

Watts Doc #7 - What is Base Really? - One of the interesting points was that maybe base is really just enforced rest. A lot of base riding is maintenance. If you do a more intensive base (SST) then you will need more rest. I think most of us forget that one!

Watts Doc #9 - Strength and Endurance - some interesting points on the physiological adaptations caused by strength training and when the adaptations interfere with endurance training.

His podcast is about 13 hours of deep dives. If you don’t love Chad’s deep dives then this is not the podcast for you. :slight_smile:

Overall, I really like his balanced approach.

32 Likes

Thanks for the helpful summary :grin::+1:t2:

That was just off the top of my head. There is 100X more good information in there. And a lot of it covers what people are debating on the forum.

I couldn’t get all the way through the muscle fiber type podcast. It was a little too deep and not directly applicable enough to training. I’ll get back to it though. The others I will give a second listen.

1 Like

Re-listened to #14 last night. 30 min well spent.

EC always gets my two thumbs up. Those are knowledgable (and practical) guys.

…EC/KM is also fairly active on Reddit if you want to check that out for even more goodies.

2 Likes

The Disequilibrium podcast is a very deep dive into ATP stochiometry in the cell. It’s worth a listen if you interested, he promises applicability to a future podcast on lactate.

I’ve switched out the ramp test for the Kolie Moore prog test for this reason.

Being a very anaerobic rider, I want to finish my sweetspot work and not feel totally gutted. Pretty sure if I decided to freshen up and smack a ramp test I’d get a better number, but I’d rather sweetspot feels manageable.

Have a read, the workout to test is in there. In any case I highly recommend this testing, it’s not an absolute killer like the ramp test and also you really learn what your Time To Exhaustion is, which is soooo useful

4 Likes

I was excited to give it a listen when I found out about this podcast (because of the name?). But I must say I am a little bit disappointed. There is useful information and one can certainly learn something.

However, I don’t find it very engaging and I personally haven’t learned anything new. What I find the most irritating is when they take someone’s concept (be it a test protocol, training method or whatever), misinterpret it and then ridicule it. The most interesting episode I’ve listened to so far was actually an interview/race report (Cascade Classic).

Sorry to complain but I found TTS or Peter Attia’s drive much more engaging or informative. On the other hand I want to try the Kolie Moore’s FTP test protocol.

I haven’t found this, and I’ve listened to them all (and read a boat load of EC Reddit posts). As the title implies, their take on cycling is based on empirical data, thus when they debunk a particular facet of training (usually an old school method), it’s the very opposite of misinterpreting it. As for the “ridicule”, it might seem as such, however, I think it’s more a case of really smart guys being dismayed at some of the things which are still commonly used and saying “Come on, people — use your brains!”.

You might find most/all coaches are pretty low on the tender/coddle scale.

2 Likes

I agree that some common sense in coaching (either others or oneself) is necessary and often missing. And I am the last person to need a tender treatment. Particularly, I haven’t found comments about ramp tests, lactate, critical power funny. I had some objections also when listening to strength training episode. I haven’t finished all episodes yet.

Perhaps I just find the common sense trivial in most cases, hence the misunderstanding? There were some interesting pieces of information in some of the episodes but I lack the complete picture. As an example, in the concurrent training episode (strength) there was one study on elite cyclists mentioned. As interesting as it might be, it certainly isn’t the only study on concurrent training. It then might be better to just skip the studies altogether and just give opinions/experiences from coaching practice.

1 Like

This is the exact opposite of ‘empirical’.

I’m guessing they’ll continue to do what they do and it’ll continue to work out for them.

Opinions yes, experiences no.

I meant that I might be interested in one’s opinions even if they aren’t validated yet. But picking one study of many and drawing general conclusions is of less value to me.

This actually doesn’t mean anything though, and this is part of the problem.

4 Likes

I have really enjoyed his podcast. It can get very nerdy quick, but I enjoy his perspective on training. It’s impacted the way I approach training.

Point 2 is very interesting and I’m so glad it’s brought up. I always dreaded FTP workouts, especially the 4x10 @ FTP variety, thinking they were almost impossible. I laughed when I heard coaches talk about 4x15 FTP workouts, thinking that would be impossible. But they really shouldn’t be if we’re all buying into the idea that FTP is about what you can sustain for 60 min. 4x10 @ FTP should be VERY doable for just about any cyclist as long as their FTP is set realistically.

Given that, I have no doubt most amateurs are over-estimating their FTPs which leads to burnout–sadly, a very common trend on this forum.

6 Likes

Man you guys are rough, what a derailment to the original post.

What is the problem? Kolie Moore spends quite a bit of time discussing anecdotal evidence from his athletes. I gather it’s the whole reason he’s re-thinking the FTP testing protocol. He also seems to spend a lot of time looking into studies and discussing them. He’s clearly an intelligent person and experienced coach.

4 Likes

You need to ask Dostring, I don’t have anything against KM, in fact I think he has good ideas. I’m referring to when people use the word “empirical” as a fallacy. In and of itself, empirical observation doesn’t actually say anything, it takes context and critical thinking to process it to something actionable. It’s often used as a logical fallacy to shout down other opinions.

3 Likes

That is my fault. I just wanted to point out that while I listened to a lot of the episodes I had higher hopes I guess. It’s neither funny nor very informative (both certainly depend on the individual listening).

Sorry for my off topic then.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve only tested FTP 4 times this year - 3 successful -1 failed. I just hate that 20 minute test.

I’m glad to know that SST should be fairly easy and never soul crushing. I did some Steve Neal style HR capped SST and thought they were a piece of cake. At the time I thought they were maybe too easy. They were probably just right.

4 Likes

Pretty sure Kolie, an actual man of science, has both the context – winning coach – and the critical thinking – degree in metabolism and physiology – chops to process empirical information into actionable measures.

Then again, as we can observe from the last 5,000 years, when it comes to the human body, our empirical information and actionable measures are always changing. Ergo, probably nobody is ever 100% right about the best way to perform. Even Einstein was wrong, so maybe it’s our fault for asking too much out of mere cyclists!

:v:

1 Like

As I mentioned in that post, I wasn’t talking about Kolie.