Your AI FTP Detection Results

lol! @wasket - I am in the same camp as you, and if you’re motivated to do it, I say go for it! But as you know, it’s a hard workout, so really fuel properly pre and during, and rest well after, that’s all. Sounds like good timing, as you say you have a rest week coming up!

1 Like

I got a 4.3% bump from FTPD and after 8 scheduled workouts I think things are going well. It’s been hard, but its a build phase so it’s supposed to be. Happy with where everything put me!

1 Like

Holy $#@π batman,
Just finished up my test and I managed to do my FTP for an hour up Ventoux in Zwift. Double calibrated power meter and the same I always use. I think I can say AI detection works, at least for me. That was effectively an hour record attempt and I now no longer live…but @ambermalika I’d say ya done good with this one :wink:

13 Likes

Just got a nice 6% bump. 179 —> 190.

5 weeks from my last ramp test. Noobie gains. Probably about right, I guess, as I accidentally got a bump to 181 on a Tour of Watopia ride on Zwift yesterday.

We’ll find out over the next few weeks, I suspect.

3 Likes

I’m just finishing up my recovery week and start my next training block tomorrow. I have the ramp test scheduled and went into the app and tried using AI for my new FTP and it said a three watt DECREASE…is that an issue for a support email because I see no reason for it to drop. @mcneese.chad you’d probably know best here :blush:

Yeah, whenever in doubt, emailing support is likely best.

1 Like

Its just popped me up another 4 watts to 274w. The weather has improved significantly though so I will probably end up doing workouts outside and lol I struggle to see the screen in my TT position and don’t like to deliver full intensity anyway. So it’ll probably drop in future :joy:

1 Like

FTP AI said 273W → 275W. That seemed low to me, I’ve been at 296W last season and I’m getting back into things after being out for a month due to COVID. The 273W itself was a 20W jump when ramping up training again, and I’ve had to selected harder alternates for some workouts to get PL up faster - they were just too easy.

Did the ramp test, finished at 286W.

Overall AT and the AI didn’t really work well here, but the UX that’s currently there to easily pick alternate workouts is awesome.

2 Likes

I ran an estimate on Monday and got 294w. I think this is my 4th estimate since this came out, I just periodically run it for fun, but I haven’t changed anything up or down from my set 295w ftp. I’ve gotten 302 initially, then 294, then 290, and now 294 again. I’m doing my own self designed plan at the moment so I’m not using AT, and currently doing a threshold block. In practice, my FTP is probably more realistically 285-290, I’ve been doing my workouts at 97% of 295 (286) and I can do stuff like 3x15, 5x10 at 286, but as far as common definition of FTP, I think I’d have to be incredibly motivated to do anything like 290-295 for 40mins.

1 Like

I’ve been off the bike since september 2021. After a block of SSB 1 LV where i missed 1 entire workout and had 3 of them that i complete at 75% (due to time)
AI Predicted an 11% increase
Did the test and got 6% actual increase.
Intervals.icu then sent me an email telling me they calculated a 9% increase based on that ramp test

I haven’t been working my top end (suprathreshold) so i wonder if that might the reason i’m not able to hit the higher when testing. Oh well

1 Like

After letting AI set me at 333 at the beginning of my last training block, and finishing off that block with an actual 1-hour test ( see the above ) this time it said I had a decrease for some reason. I sent it to support and they said just manually adjust my FTP to what 1 hour gave me, but it’s weird that it was so accurate a month ago but then said I lost something this time. Oh well at least it’s an easy fix to just manually change it a few Watts :sunglasses:

Ramp test 208, aiFTP 210. I was surprised at how close it was.

2 Likes

I brought two of the weeks from SSBHV2 forwards to align my rest week with the school holidays. I figured I’d bring the Ramp (and AI-FTPD) forward to Monday in order to do three weeks at the new level instead before the rest week instead of two.

AI-FTPD gave me a 1.5% bump to 328W.

There appears to be constant development in the algorithm which is pretty impressive. There were update notes on the latest app update, and this number is slightly lower, and processed massively faster than the one ran last week as a demonstration for a friend.

It’s dropped my SS from 10 to 9.5. Obviously being mid base, I’ve not touched any of the other zones in terms of specific/structured work. Currently I don’t know what I can do at that Threshold number, and it’s hard for me to see improvement when comparing to last season as my best numbers are all from Threshold workouts. I’m optimistic and have lots of faith in AT now. It’s been spot on for SSBHV - it’s a training zone I’m very strong in though so hopefully I’m not giving myself false confidence.

1 Like

New to TR. Predicted FTP was way off. Did a ramp test at the start back the end of Feb. I blew that test. My mistake and failed to read the best practices for ramp tests. My best guess is that test was low by 20-25W. Wanted to see what AIFTP would do. So I pushed through the SS Base 1 till I had enough workouts to see what AIFTP would give me. Frist update was +14W then +11. After this last update I really felt I could do better. Did a ramp test today and got a 9.X% bump another 21W. During my training I was bumping my workouts to 110% most of the time. I am back to where I was in the early to late fall of last year. My guess is at the end of the next phase of training AIFTP will be more on target. I think I could have pushed another 90 seconds if I really wanted it. At my age I just don’t want to hurt that bad.

1 Like

AI FTP predicted 274w, which is a 2% increase. It’s the first increase since August. So far, so good. I have been doing a series of VO2Max workouts and they are going well. I am feeling stronger and seem to be adapting well. Am a fan of TR software.

3 Likes

Back from almost half a year break and just finished SSB I and on the start line of SSB II. Previous ramp test result was 160w. Let’s see what AI prescribes for now.

Hey, I was only on SSB I low volume and I even missed some workouts. OK, Just do ramp test and find out…

Hold my beer, wait what?! Didn’t expect they expect my newb gain in this precision :laughing:

9 Likes

Worked the first time but

Twice now AI hasn’t shown my ftp for a ramp test and yes over 14 days.
Is it showing for everyone else?

Thanks

1 Like

I moved your post under the existing one that covers the question already.

• Please contact support@trainerroad.com for issues like this. They are the first place to start for technical questions like this.

Additionally, there is a separate and largely parallel topic to review:

2 Likes

thanks @bobw for the pointer to intervals.icu - looks like some excellent data and capability in there

1 Like

So if AT doesn’t yet take full account of outdoor rides even if they are associated with a workout (my understanding is that AT takes account of the workout as planned not as actually completed) and I am doing predominantly outdoor rides - am I better doing an actual ramp test rather than relying on an AI generated FTP?