Workout Names - Encyclopedia

Taku is a glacier system east of Juneau Alaska. I know because in the 1980s I skied across it while doing my undergrad in Geology.

2 Likes

Pjamm Cycling’s Climb Card

I rode the actual Kingsbury Grade today, close to an 8 mile climb and about 2460 ft. from the east side. Egan Bernal currently holds the KOM from the 2018 ATOC, 29:38.

State Route 207 ( SR 207 ) is a 11.082-mile (17.835 km) state highway in western Douglas County, Nevada, United States. Commonly known as the Kingsbury Grade , it is one of three Nevada highways that connects the western edge of the state to the Lake Tahoe region through the Carson Range. The route was part of State Route 19 prior to 1976.

State Route 207 marker70x70

State Route 207
Kingsbury Grade
Nevada State Route 207 starts near the shores of Lake Tahoe and runs east through Daggett Pass to meet SR206 near Minden.290x142

Nevada State Route 207, highlighted in red

2 Likes

He’s still got a few he can use!

3 Likes

Oh I didn’t mean that he had completely run out.
To be honest I can’t remember the conversation exactly (in a Strava comment box somewhere sometime a while back?) just that there were some strange names being used on TrainerRoad and where did he get them from.

In fact he might have ridden Geiger outside and maybe I asked him if this was the ‘real’ Geiger rather than the blue onscreen Geiger (I’m in UK so I don’t know if this is a US famous name?)

Chad replied that he often named TR rides from the local hills or hills that he had ridden around the country, but that he had used most of his local names and was looking farther afield. I suggested a whole bunch of UK hill names local to me and left it at that. I’m sure Chad said thanks and then I forgot all about it. A while later I was amazed to start seeing some of those names appear on TR.

So maybe we can start a Name Suggestion Box for Chad to pick from. Maybe there could be some kind of charity connection. So you’d pay £100 and a TR ride gets called after your hill @Nate_Pearson ? Or maybe just send @chad a beer voucher :wink:

Brasstown?

3 Likes

Fish is a mountain in Southern Oregon, probably named because of the proximity of Fish Lake.

1 Like

I’m convinced Galena is named after that Russian engineer I had to share an office with as a trainee. She was in her early 50s, excellent electrical engineer but otherwise absolutely terrifying. Most unpleasant person I’ve ever had the misfortune to work with, pretty fitting for a 3*20 workout.

1 Like

Can I submit ideas for workout names somewhere here (especially hopefully funny one)?

I love the Up/Down direction arrows on the mountains. :man_facepalming::laughing:

I’ve always been curious on some of the workout names, some are understandable, but what is Dicks all about? :rofl:

:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Omg Whisky Dick? :rofl: I know it can be a common problem for some guys, did not know it was a climb

3 Likes

I bet it’s disappointing.

3 Likes

:joy:

I can’t believe you didn’t suggest a “DeathRide Day” challenge where you do Monitor twice, Ebbetts twice, and Carson once!

oh god. more proof that I will never grow up. I had to laugh way too hard when I saw this:

3 Likes

Oh…now that you mention it…WHY NOT!!! :smiley: :smiley: :hot_face: :partying_face:

(it’s only 5 hours of SS! )

1 Like

4 years ago I did 8 hours of climbing in real life! Here ya go: Log In to TrainerRoad and Log In to TrainerRoad and Log In to TrainerRoad and the event this year was suppose to be on July 11 2020. Mark your calendars and I’ll bring popcorn!

1 Like

IMO… One of the cooler threads as I always wondered about the names … Thanks everyone love the pictures and the details… I think I may start reading about the climbs during warmups.

Forget it for a workout name. We should name the next coronavirus after that one. Nobody will want a case of “whiskey dick”.

1 Like

Here’s Beech Mountain in North Carolina:

Used during the Tour DuPont in the late 80s/early 90s and famously the climb where Lance Armstrong realized he was ready to make a comeback after cancer. Now there’s a bike park that has hosted the US DH national championships and a smallish but really fun trail system called the Emerald Outback. There’s also a creepy, mostly abandoned Wizard of Oz-themed amusement park near the top that was built in the 70s and is now only open to visitors a few weekends each year.

2 Likes