Winning Moves, Adrenaline, Sleep Deprivation and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 300

On another note, I think there’s something to be said for negative reinforcement. If a driver almost kills me, I want them to remember it as a negative experience. It’s like training a dog, I don’t reward him when he does something bad because it reinforces bad behavior.

Hopefully me calling this person a f***ing piece of garbage means they have a negative emotional reaction to that experience and it will stop them from blindly pulling into an intersection in the future.

Or maybe this is only the way I justify ranting at motorists because like you, venting my frustration makes me feel better.

3 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this! It is always affirming to hear others have a similar experience, which is why I think it’s an important topic to discuss openly. My parents used to think I was joking when I said I preferred to go to morning practice before school on exam days, as opposed to sleeping in longer than usual. The most recent tidbit I’ve heard on this front is the connection between lactate and ADHD: lactate may be underproduced in the brain for folks with ADHD, but that lactate produced in skeletal muscle might offset this. Bodies are amazing! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment so thoughtfully and to share your story. Thank you.

4 Likes

Drink!

4 Likes

My nearly 10 y/o has adhd and in early sept through the entire fall we were riding bikes in our neighborhood for an hour almost everyday and he could easily do more, but more importantly I think it helped him. I tried to keep him consistent during the winter on zwift but he didn’t love it (he doesn’t really like bikes all that much in general). He doesn’t really get that exercise helps him, and he doesn’t like any other sports so it’s tough to find the balance of having him get enough quality movement. Was hoping he’d enjoy the bike, but most days now I get a “no” when I ask him to ride, it’s not cool to hang with dad lol

1 Like

I find that any type of movement works. Biking, walking, team sports, individual sports. I’d just keep trying things until you find something that clicks.

It helps when its something you can do for a long time, but it doesn’t have to be that.

Don’t give up! Feel free to DM me if you want to chat further about it, I’m happy to share some more details.

How does “be the bigger person, turn the other cheek” compare with “stand up to a bully”?

I ride with a varia so maybe I’ll try a pre-emptive wave and see if that helps. But I don’t see how just smiling and waving at someone who intentionally puts you in danger is going to do anything. Don’t we teach kids to stand up for themselves to bullies? Even more so for motorists who UNINTENTIONALLY do it. Perhaps if the motorist too busy texting sees the person they passed by 3” flipping out behind them, it will give them that “oh sh!t” moment and realize they messed up.

Sincerely,
Someone who felt the front bumper of a Maxima @ 55mph.

2 Likes

As the last four years have taught us with the way certain people in red hats seemed to care less about helping themselves and more about hurting the other, what you’re doing is probably more positive reinforcement. They think they are better then you and see that they got through to you and hurt you which is good in their mind.

For example:

Or the “Make liberals cry again.” phrasing

I super appreciated hearing Nate’s commentary about preparing software releases and the layers of testing that TR has.

Also, big heck yeah for TR’s honesty and authenticity about the product and product releases.

The remainder of the podcast was exceptionally relevant as I have been overworking and undersleeping.

Well done team!

5 Likes

Sounds like adhd is the opposite of dyslexia in terms of exercise. I know my dyslexia is harder to compensate for when exercising and afterwards till I recover

Way to predict the winning move for MSR, gang! As soon as I saw it, i was immediately reminded about the discussion on how all you need is that hesitation to get a gap and pull off a win.

1 Like

It is absolute bullshit, but I’m seriously considering buying a gaudy american flag jersey for road riding. If it helps get buzzed less, and rolled coal on less, and avoids stupid confrontations with idiot rednecks…then what’s the harm?

1 Like

Regarding sleep deprivation and improving sleep, I found this to be a really great podcast discussion, regardless of if you’re a woman approaching/past menopause or not. The guest, Dr. Sophie Bostock, talks very generally about sleep, and I just thought it was a good discussion.
https://livefeisty.com/hit-play-not-pause-save-your-sleep-with-sleep-evangelist-dr-sophie-bostock-episode-20/

On the topic of “lead-out vs domestique”: One of the greatest domestique stories ever told is Chris Horner’s recap of supporting Cadel Evans during the infamous Stage 17 of the 2006 TdF.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson Friday release :slight_smile:
I have so many anecdotal evidence about this… I froze when you said that :slight_smile:

“A closet full of Raspberry PI’s”

Even if only for the Bluetooth checks and tests this means you have a lot of Linux/Debian knowhow in the company so now you can build a TR application for Linux, right :wink:

I’m looking forward to that!

A fundamental component of that political faction is stoking hatred for non-normative people. There’s Real Americans, and then there’s The Others. If you ride a bike on public streets, you’re in the latter category.

1 Like

Just listening to this. Love the sleep discussion. As a Family Med doc that was taught in medical school (graduating in 2000) as I paraphrase frequently that “sleep deprivation wouldn’t kill you,” watching all the developments in sleep medicine since then have been enlightening. I’ll cut out the chase… severe, long term sleep deprivation does increase mortality… ie it CAN kill ya. I think they just wanted us studying more.

I wanted to comment on Nate’s point about sleep trackers. This lecture I refer to was a few years ago, but at that point, at a talk given by a local Denver Pulmonary/Sleep Medicine doc, he said the sensitivity and specificity of most available sleep trackers were about 50%. That is to say, about useless. I tend to agree based on my anecdotal evidence from patients. There is some useful data, ie time in bed is probably accurate though Nate’s example of getting up to the bathroom shows they sometimes even miss big events like that. We even had a Rest bed for about a year (returned it, the pumps were too loud for us) which had tracking software built into it’s sensors, and found even it was not very accurate.

I am sure this is a field that will explode and hopefully get much more accurate in coming years. With pulse ox data becoming more common on devices and more familiar to people (Thanks COVID), we may see big steps just incorporating that, as it is one of the most important things to track.

1 Like

Revisited this podcast, as my wife’s final year of med school/4am wake ups and preparation for future surgical residency have severely impacted my sleep (and will do so for the foreseeable future). I’m really struggling with motivation/RPE on harder efforts, while maintaining a tremendously busy schedule as super dad/husband (which includes a LOT of dad taxi for my two teens and their extra-curriculars, and doing pretty much ALL the cooking, cleaning, and day to day tasks)/lawyer/amateur bike racer. I’ve found that eventually, something has to give in order to meet daily obligations - unfortunately that “thing” is often sleep. It’s like having a newborn again, except now I’m 41 and not 23 - which makes a HUUUGE difference in recovery.

This is such a great episode of the podcast - The dynamic between Nate/Jonathan/Amber/Chad is on point, and I have great appreciation for how well this team flows and how deep the conversation goes!

1 Like