Why don't triathlon plans have a rest/endurance week during weeks 4 and 8?

Hello,
I am looking at the plans, deciding which ones I think I will do for the rest of this year and into next. I am not sure if I will do a 70.3 or not in 2020 but I will almost for surely do a Gran Fondo or 2. I like the swim and bike workouts in the triathlon plans but wondering if I should consider a non triathlon plan (and just copy and paste the swim and run workouts into the calendar). Upon review I am noticing that the non triathlon plans seem to have an endurance focused week during weeks 4 and 8, however, the triathlon plans don’t seem to include these weeks and I was curious why?

1 Like

Which plans in particular are you looking at? The 70.3 plans certainly have recovery weeks built in at 4 & 8 where the overall training volume reduces. The bike workouts tend to keep the intensity but with shorter intervals rather than a week of Pettit…

1 Like

Just looking at the high volume Long distance Triathlon plan you will note that in weeks 4, 8 & 12 that the overall training stress is reduced by at least 200 in these weeks, which in essence is a recovery week as it pertains to your cycling.

2 Likes

Hello, thank you for your responses. I should have been a bit more specific, apologies.
I was looking at the 70.3 low volume build plan and the low volume Sustained Power build plan.
The sustained power plan as decreased TSS in weeks 4 and 4 but the 70.3 plan does not.
Similarly, comparing the 70.3 low volume specialty plan vs the low volume century specialty plan, the century plan has decreased TSS weeks in weeks 4 & 8 whereas the 70.3 specialty low volume plan does not.
Knowing coach Chad (from the podcasts anyway) I am sure there is a good reason, but it is jut not obvious to me. I am currently in week 4 of the sustained power build plan (as I am doing a little post season build as I didn’t particularly challenge myself this year with training) and this break if you will is good for me mentally knowing my rides this week won’t be super difficult.
Thanks for any insight that can be shared and just looking to ensure I choose the best plans for me following this little build (I will start back with base go and go through the phases from there).

The low volume half distance specialty doesn’t have a recovery week. I just built in my own.

1 Like

Just offering my perspective and would love to know as well what @chad is thinking.

If you look in detail all days but the last are lower in effort compared to the previous weeks. In base its ca 65-75% of I recall right

Only the Sunday has the brick which should be pretty doable after the lower load.

2 Likes

I should have mentioned I was only looking at the TR workouts …