Who's over 60 y/o and using TR?

DavidWms -Train by HR , How will I get the HR zone? By doing a specific test or using values from Trainerroad

Loosely this is what I did last winter. Lots of zone 2 and one day of VO2 max intervals per Friel. This year I’m planning the same up to a trip to the land of warm sun in March and another attempt at Mt. Lemmon.

1 Like

Thanks, for making me aware of the two article’s. They both have relevant and useful information. Trying to do more of a polarized approach through the winter. However, two hours on a trainer is just brutal. Todd

1 Like

Caveat, that I don’t claim to be expert. Easy button answer? Take 80% of your max heart rate. To elaborate, on TR, the endurance workouts are determined by watts/power, not HR. But cardiac drift can occur so your HR moves out of the endurance zone, e.g., on a long endurance ride or when tired or recovering from illness. Here’s a chart from my intervals.icu account (highly recommended for data and free! unless you want to donate):
Power and HR 2022-11-28 182559
For me, I like to keep HR no higher than 130ish for endurance rides. TR endurance rides can go up to 75% of FTP, which can push HR to close to 140. During an indoor TR endurance workout, if it floats above 130, I will lower the intensity/% until it comes down. Hope that helps!

1 Like

yeah too risky probably a mental thing as I look at myself as MTBer first but I’m better on the road than on MTB. Point is my MTB technique has a long way to go…so skinny tires wont work at this point…It was kinda like when I switched MTB styles went from a 40mm Stumpjumper to more suitable XCM bike but settled at an 20mm Epic Evo vs a 100mm Epic…So with gravel I will have to start out fat and then get comfortable with thinner tires… Here we have dirt roads, fast gravel, and chunky… but there is a whole lot of climbing … So the gearing is critical for me I would need the mullet configuration or a uber small 1x a 1x 40chainring and 44cog would be too big/small for me… I need that bailout gear of the MTB on our many of the trails and roads that are suitable for gravel bikes On my MTB I run a 30chainring and 52cog…

1 Like

Great thanks just read them both and it’s all sound advice from the expert Seiler. I think Coach Chad’s plans adhere to somewhat of what he is saying with regard to intensity… I follow a mid volume plan either XCM stage race or a Road Gran Fondo. Currently, a XCM plan in the build phase has about 3 interval workouts and 2 endurance/tempo one of each workouts per week. I try todo the VO2 max workouts on the trainer Threshold and endurance outside. I follow my HRV and if it’s okay I will execute a sheduled workout if it says I need rest I take the day off or do light weights… So far it seems to be working…but maybe if I was more disciplined in my training schedule I might see larger gains…now they are only marginal and I’m okay with it…Maybe that’s the problem being satisfied with my marginal gains :thinking:

1 Like

I joined the intervals.icu will play around tomorrow and ask any how to questions in the coming days…thanks
Now it’s past my bedtime gotto work on that dicipline sleep gets the nod today as chocolate ice cream will not until about 4 weeks out from race day :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Recovery Day Tips? Like most of us, I need my recovery days even more now that I’m over 60 (just turned 70 actually). Yesterday’s TR workout was Marengo, a V02 max – “3x12.5-minute sets of 50 seconds all-out (125% FTP) followed closely by 50 seconds of rest.”

I’m interested in the collective wisdom of this group. Other than staying off the bike, what works for you? I found a good 20-minute yoga for cyclists’ stretch on Youtube (Adrienne’s channel) that felt good and plan to try that on recovery days. Collagen supplements are supposed to be good for our joints, but I usually forget to add it to my coffee.

1 Like

I’m 44, but feel like I’m 60 most days - does that count? :rofl:

5 Likes

Recovery day…that is when I just get to sit and work from home and just talk on the phone.

I walk the dogs…stretch…typically all the physio moves which has become a yoga routine.

Soak in the jacuzzi tub with epsom salts…no idea if it works…but I do enjoy the quiet time.

Collagen in my hot chocolate. I always add it so my nighttime routine of hot chocolate.

I think the main item I try is my hard days stay hard. So my vo2/threshold workouts often have my strength session the same day just to ensure my easy day has nothing.

4 Likes

@DavidWms David I regard you to one of the more learned amongst us so, I feel remiss to give any advice. What works for me, is an off day before VO2, good nutrition the night before, fast carbs day of (honey on toast), and a immediate ready to go recovery drink, and a full meal within two hours after. The other thing that I have found of use is a 30 min recovery spin at 50%FTP later in the day. I also supplement the above with a Theragun, Hot tub or both. Also, I have started weight training finally, I believe this to also be helping with recovery. Specifically I added Squats and do these the same day as the hard efforts as others are doing. Hope some of this helps. PS I’m a youngster at the tender age of 64 and regard recovery to be the key that unlocks the door to more fitness.

5 Likes

I usually to nothing harder than light spinning on a recovery day, if at all, but do see recovery days as perfect for 20-30 min mobility session i developed with my PT, which I try to do 3X a week.

1 Like

I haven’t tried a Theragun yet. Do you find it helpful? I read a review on Wirecutter.com that a $30 care buffer is almost as good as a $600 Theragun, so maybe I should try that! Can a Car Buffer Soothe Sore Muscles as Well as a Theragun? | Wirecutter

I have a foam roller but haven’t used it much. Need to be more compliant. There is a passive stretching franchise called Stretch Zone, which I tried and didn’t feel it helped recovery much (even though it felt good after for a bit.)

I have a cyclist friend with circulation issues who uses an air-compression leg device, but those seem pricey.

I’ve been using an Oura ring to track my sleep (and HRV) for a year, and I’ve learned that eating earlier and drinking less wine seems to improve my sleep, which improves recovery. For me, beer or whiskey doesn’t affect my sleep as much as wine.

Regarding weight lifting, Coach Chad recommends doing it the same day and after a cycling workout, but I don’t have energy after my hard ride days, so I life on a Zone 2 day.

The theragun comment reminded me of something else I use. I had a hard time for 2 years with muscle tightness and lived seeing a physio…she showed me how to use a massage cup on my legs that just gave a lot more relief then anything else. After every workout I use a massage cup on my legs, like the one below.

I just found it gave a lot more relaxation then any massage gun or foam rolling.

1 Like

Just as a reminder during these Winter months, there is a Trainer Road 60+ Club on Strava. Reno, Nevada Club | Trainer Road 60 Plus on Strava
Interesting to check out the range of mileage and climbing. Last week, one cyclist completed over 300 miles and almost 15,000’ of climbing! I’ve never done 300 miles in a week. Maybe if I sign up for the 50th RAGBRAI this summer.

3 Likes

Interesting info, Brent. I’ve never tried cupping. I will check it out on youtube as an option.

1 Like

you should see our local Strava clubs, last week the top masters 45+ rider on my ‘under-achieving’ local club had ~300 miles and 18,400 feet of climbing! And the weather was horrible last week, but he was preparing to do the coast ride which got cancelled due to road safety issues (from all the rain).

The retired 65+ year olds around here are putting down big hours (500+ a year) and miles. The ones that live or drive to Folsom (and surrounding areas) ride up into the Sierra foothills and have 500,000+ feet of climbing a year. My biggest week was 278 miles and 10,000 feet of climbing (mostly 1 ride near Napa Valley).

on your recovery question, I do 50+ minutes of mobility work 2 days a week, and ride the other 5 days. Start with the 12-min Foundation routine, and then get out the bands, dumbbells, and kettlebells. With all the riding (8+ hours) I find my muscles are in much better condition than when I only rode 3-5 hours/week, and only rarely need to get the foam roller or massage gun out.

3 Likes

I’m in the Trainer Road 60+ Club on Strava, and aside from seeing the folks at the top of the list, I feel pretty good hovering in the top third, as a 69 yo who’s still working and doing moderate mileage of 100-140 a week. It’s nice to have that age group context to how you’re doing. It could use more members (there are only 65) so thanks for calling it out.

1 Like

How do you join the 60+ Club on strava and is it open to women?
I train and live like a pro :rofl:(now that I’m not working in winter) but don’t enjoy riding big miles, and generally can’t keep up with the super fast over 60s in our club ,though we all race cyclo x and mtb successfully and get lots of podiums.

2 Likes

Lydia, yes, it’s open to all! You may be able to join from the page when you click on the link. If not, on your Strava home page, pull down the search button to “clubs” and key in Trainer Road 60 plus.

There is no formal age requirement to join, but I have gone through and excluded a few who are obviously not sufficiently “seasoned” to join our exclusive membership! :grin: