Who's over 60 y/o and using TR?

Good job on that workout. I do my VO2 workout on Mondays and the next day is completely off the bike with my weekly heavy weight session. Wed through Sat Zone 2 and Sunday off( except for my morning 3 mile walk with my wife). Currently 68. Been doing some part time employment, and this has interrupted my exercise schedule.

3 Likes

I’m new to the TrainerRoad thing. Indoor riding has never been my favorite. 15 min on the mag trainer and I’m ready to bail. At 72 I decided to give it another try. Got a kickr andTR. Took a few weeks to figure out a plan. For me Sweet Spot base mid volume seems to be the best for getting in a longer ride outside. Not exactly the rest day as they want me to do but riding outside is what it’s about. Where I live in Wimberley it’s either up or down. I don’t think there are any flats longer than 1 mile and those are few and far between. Going to do the 100 mile https://www.letapesanantonio.com/ . See if I can knock off an hour from last years time.
For recovery I drink about 40g protein right after a ride/workout. Spin for an extra 5 min after an indoor session. Compression leg things. Walk the dog in the park for 1 hour everyday. Weight training is mostly yard, farm type work, bags of feed, hay ect…
Will join the Strava for oldies group and see what others are doing.

4 Likes

After completing the polarized plans available on TR, I’ve started a LV rolling race plan, with an eye to some early-season gravel events. Contrary to some of our previous discussions about polarized training, I’ve done three VO2 Max workouts this week prescribed by TR, plus a FulGaz virtual hour workout that was IF of .79. Maybe I should call it my “experimental” Sweet Spot/VOMax plan?

2 Likes

Fast after 60, 70 A couple of interesting items to share. First, Joe Friel has posted the first of a new series on his blog about being fast after 60 or 70. Good information. I look forward to his future posts.
Here’s the first installment: Fast After…60? …70? - Joe Friel

Ladder Intervals Second, I’ve recently read studies that descending ladder interval workouts may be the optimal Zone 4/5 plan. Declining ladder intervals involve progressively lowering the workload with each interval, which (as I understand) results in more time above Vo2 Max but at a more sustainable overall stress. Here is an article explaining a study based on cyclists (with link to original study): https://www.outsideonline.com/health/training-performance/ladders-interval-workouts-research/

I shared the study with Stephen Seiler on Twitter, who responded positively:

I also surveyed the Trainer Road workouts and asked support about declining ladder workouts and there doesn’t appear to be much here. I plan to try and create one using the TR Workout Creator. Please share if you’ve tried this type of workout or know of one in the TR database.

4 Likes

This was interesting:

“The most important takeaway here is that having flat courses is critical to 60+ and 70+ athletes. Table-top-flat courses make it possible to have truly easy workouts, which are important for building aerobic endurance and for active recovery sessions.”

Here in the eastern parts of Sacramento (e.g. Folsom), it is vaguely like Boulder in that you can ride west and its pancake flat until the coastal mountains, or you can ride east into the Sierra mountains and 12,000-15,000 feet later you are in South Lake Tahoe.

re: descending ladders… “optimal” is in the eye of the beholder. Ladders were my favorite in spin classes back in 2015. My coach has me doing a variant of them. There are other ways to extend time at high vo2max.

1 Like

Flat courses are also important to take TR interval sessions outside in good weather. We have a 25-mile pancake-flat road I use for that.

2 Likes

In general flat is great for interval work, although for some intervals it helps to do them on a climb or have a head wind. Wish I lived a little closer to the foothills, hate the idea of driving 30 minutes (or 60-90 minute riding) for climbing.

1 Like

That’s funny because I hate driving 30 min to ride somewhere flat.

2 Likes

Ditto. I’d have to drive to get someplace I can do a proper outdoor Z2. More time on TR.

1 Like

Great post ! I am almost 65 and a member of a fairly elite cycling club and can relate to feeling like I hold riders back ( on drop rides). I am able to average 21 mph on the club’s regular 66 mile Saturday rides- but drop on the slightest inclines and have to push to catch up . Once I catch up, I can hold and maintain with the group. I am optimistic with more focused training using TR ( combined with Zwift and outdoor rides) that I can improve to the point that being dopped is a less common concern. I also need to focus on nutrition while on the bike , as the trend for for being dropped on a 3 plus hour group rides seems to be at about the 30 mile mark . I drink plenty while riding, but need to train myself to take in energy gels whilst riding .

3 Likes

Maybe some carbs in the bidon’s could help ?

1 Like

It was three years ago today that I made my first post on this topic. Since then, our collective posts here have been viewed almost 30,000 times. I’ve enjoyed learning that so many other senior masters are still training. I’ve learned a lot from the discussions. and Apart from the abundant health benefits of cycling and the social benefits of a group ride, what motivates us to continue with TR and other structured training at a time when most of our peers have given up on such pursuits? For me, although at 70 my chances for improvement are narrowing, I am still striving for greater mastery of a sport. As my senior Olympics t-shirt says, “It’s never too late to become better.” As Phil Cavell observes in The Midlife Cyclist (recommended reading), we’re the first generation to achieve this:

Here’s to continuing the joy, pleasure, and sweat of cycling for decades to come!

16 Likes

David, I’ve added a couple of descending VO2 interval workouts to the CX-Rattlesnake set already in the “O60s” team workouts. The Rattlesnake are 30-15s and the CX-Matthes are 3 minute VO2 intervals which step down in intensity each minute. Rattlesnake sets are available in 60 and 40 minute versions , with Mattes at 75 and 50 secondes respectively.

2 Likes

Thanks, Ray. I will take a look. I also created a descending ladders workout along the lines of the study. I’ve forgotten how to add. I think you have to do that, correct?

1 Like

For the volume you are doing there is

1. A genetic ceiling to your fitness
  2. A seasonal ceiling to your fitness.

Unless you have been high level all your life you are likely just seeing 2. There’s only so much you can improve your fitness each season. But the following season your ceiling will likely be higher if you don’t let all your fitness go over winter.

The genetic ceiling is coming down each year but who knows where that truly lies? It’s not like you can test for it.

If you see a decline season on season then more volume will likely fix it.

3 Likes

I’ll check if you have admin access, and its simple enough to add the group using the Team menu.

Been using TR since 2011 when I was a spritely 49 year old. A few things I’ve come to realise over that time. TR is fantastic if you have really good recover and know when you are pushing up against your limits, not so good if you don’t have that physical self awareness. I found that initially, i got great on the bike gains, improved fitness, higher FTP and better race results. The problem was that the work never stopped building in intensity until I just couldn’t take it and I would find myself falling apart just before finishing the final build phase. This left me feeling like a bit of a failure and was very demotivating. This happened a couple of times so I got to know the signs and would back off when I needed to. I think the AI improvements are largely helping to make this overtraining a thing of the past although I do still wonder if being in my 60s is in anyway considered by the SINGULARITY (all hail). Recovery just takes longer and good food is so essential to aid training in a way it wasn’t a few years ago. Still love the TR regime and am racing cyclocross still and loving it. Tight chains :man_dancing:t2:

4 Likes

If I have admin access, I can’t see that fact. If you could add me, I will add this workout. I think I have it consistent with the study now, after my third iteration. Thanks

I did the TR version of Rattlesnake -1 yesterday. Ramp up at 140% FTP, then 30/15’s from 120% down to 110. A challenging 45-min. w/o but doable. I liked it. Will try one of yours in Team 60+

I’ve just read the paper referenced in the Outside article. This one was about runners. There is a referenced paper by the same authors where they compared the same types of intervals with a group of middle aged cyclists, again showing that the descending intervals prolonged the time to exhaustion while increasing the time above 90% of VO2 max. The descending intervals were based on time, not decreasing intensity 3min on, 2 at 66% of FTP; 2 min on, 80 sec off, 1 min on, 40 sec off, 45 sec on 30 sec off, 30 sec on 20 sec off repeated to exhaustion. I built a workoiut starting with 4 min, think I’ll adjust it.

1 Like