What workout did you do today? (2023)

What % FTP are your recovery valleys set at? That looks like approximately 70%. I used to try to do that but, in the end, it usually cost me an interval or two of “real” work. Once I embraced “make the hard days (intervals) hard and the easy days (intervals) easy” I was mentally ok with recovery intervals in the 40-50% range.

1 Like

Updates from the week:
Tuesday

Easy bodybuilding lift after.

Wednesday

Gammon is one of my favorite workouts in the TR library. Heavy lift after

Thursday: day off, new rotation

Today

Before work. Easy spin.

6 Likes

My take on ISM Z2 style. Basically low low tempo. 80+75min at 80% ftp. Fueled by two 800ml bottles with 80g carbs each. Felt very good, barely any heartrate drift, much more engaging than regular 60-70% ftp Z2.

8 Likes

Looks like the workout has them set at 60%, definitely more than I’m used to and probably why I wasn’t feeling recovered as much as I expected. Thanks!

1 Like

Been nursing a leg injury the last couple of weeks. Finally feeling good enough to get a full workout out of the way!

Unfortunately, January was not a good month for training.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Allegheny

The last 45 minutes required a lot of mental fortitude. Not to bring the Z2 debate over here but, for me, 75% FTP is about the top of my Z2. That interval with an hour to go was in the low Tempo range and my HR, breathing, and RPE never recovered. I was cruising along until then. Good info to know! But glad this one is done.

11 Likes

Finally overcame my over/under demons. I know it’s not much compared to a lot of rides on here, but this was a big one for me.

15 Likes

A couple weeks ago I tried Tray Mountain 6.9 for my sweet spot workout (I’ve been swapping the 60min for 90min because they feel a bit more achievable. The RPE was way higher than it should have been and I bailed the workout. My HR was in the high 160’s halfway through the second interval which is high for just SS work.

My PLs went down after that fail, but went back up to the same level this week so I gave it another go. Not only did I complete it, it wasn’t that bad overall. I did ignore the form instructions to make it through more easily (especially the out of the saddle with being in ERG). My HR only hit the low 160s for the first 2 intervals and only tipped 168 at the end of the last interval. This felt so much better.

Next week is Chicoma -2, and I’m not looking forward to it. I will be going in with a sense of curiosity, but with my recent workouts being 90min, maybe this won’t be so bad with it being only 60min.

8 Likes

Speaking of intervals. I did Warlow today as scheduled. After the 3rd or 4th one they seem to get easier. Any other older person experience this? I’m wondering if it takes me 30 to 46 min to actually warm up.

10 Likes

Was better about high cadence on the intervals until I wasn’t. Need to get my leg speed back…and I think the best route there might be hitting the track (=running) or some sprint hills.

Did a lift in the after noon. Clean, squat, bench, lunge, fly.

7 Likes

Usually takes me 1 to 2 intervals before body reports “Ok, its on! Go!!!” If that doesn’t happen, it can be a slog. Sometimes, probably most, its not fueling appropriately and a few Pixie Stix helps.

3 Likes

Failed my first workout today. Moose tooth -1

I was confused at first because rpe was extreme. Like worse than a ramp test. It made sense 2hours later when I felt unwell. Temp 100.2 and flu symptoms. Odd I didn’t feel sick but but there you have it. Good timing though because next week is my recovery week.

10 Likes

I wonder if it take more time for Synovial fluid to make it back into the joints or it’s a muscle thing.

I’m 40 (so older I guess that some :rofl:) and I feel the same way. I’ve been building alot of my workouts lately with 30 +/- min Z2 in the beginning and I’ve found that makes the intervals much more manageable.

2 Likes

Just finished the third and final loading week of the first block of this year’s plan … delayed by a week because of illness.

Really pleased with how it went. So far the body seems to be happily adjusting to an increase in volume. Using my long endurance ride as a benchmark, I can feel holding those watts getting easier, and my Power/HR suggests it’s not just in my head.

This coming week will be recovery and a recovery week treat Zwift race on Saturday. After that, off-plan for a week to do all 8 stages of Tour de Zwift in catch-up week. Then a very similar 3 week block to the one just completed, but instead of tempo at 80% it’ll be sweetspot at 90%.

:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I felt pretty good yesterday so I hopped on the bike just to spin.

5 Likes

Easy spin with a quick sprint to test the legs. Still a little heavy and not fully back from Friday’s effort.

Upper body lift after…

6 Likes

A low cadence, big gear strength endurance session, done outdoors.

8 Likes

9 Likes