What workout did you do today? (2023)

Recovery week over, back at it with an FTP bump…

15 Likes

Temple Threshold 4.2

Saturday I attended the NEC running show for most of the day, when I got home I managed to get this session done, a couple of days later than planned. life was getting in the way.

Sunday I did the monthly National Trust 10km, but ended up doing an extra couples of laps to get my running hours in for the week and completed 21.1km. Was very icy with crispy cold dense air…good for the lungs! Didn’t notice my spm was so low, 175 is my norm…

Might take Monday as a rest day though we both got some new running lights at the show (50% off!) so might hit a forest trail on Monday evening to “test” them out in the dark :smile:

8 Likes

Good stuff, get on it…

Yesterday, 1x60min @300w, my previous record duration at this wattage (back in September) was only 27min, and was 10 RPE vs 8 RPE yesterday.
I very optimistically programmed a second 60min interval but decided that wasn’t such a good idea lol. I will instead simply aim to add 10min per week up to 1x90min.

11 Likes

Just trash. I took yesterday off the bike and did some recovery lifting and exercises, hoping to be fresher today. No dice. Haven’t been feeling normal for almost a month now. This VO2 block isn’t going exactly as planned.

Lift after.

9 Likes

5 x 10 min, Threshold intervals, 95%, 97%, 99%, 99%, 99%.

Wouldn’t call it fun, but felt strong.

12 Likes

When was the last time you took 2-3 weeks completely off? No riding, running, lifting, etc.?

7 Likes

Freezing in the paincave, TR trying to drop me several levels, I knocked out this pretty easily.

13 Likes

Ancohuma

Sticking with today’s theme of challenging workouts, this one kind of kicked my a$$. 6 x 2 / 3 @ 124%. I quit the 3rd and 4th intervals after 1:30, then dialed down the next two to 120%. Added two more for redemption of sorts.

AT keeps progressing me by increasing percentage (120%, 122%, 124%). I’d rather stick to 120% and add intervals (6, 8, 10, etc). Same with the threshold workouts. I may need to use Workout Alternates to go make this happen.

7 Likes

Recovery week!!!

8 Likes

Last week was recovery week, unfortunately on the first Sunday I sprained my ankle, foolishly rode on Monday and then had an aching and swollen ankle for much of the week. Didn’t do any of the other endurance rides, and decided to test it out on Sunday as it was feeling mostly better. How did I sprain my ankle - most dangerous place known to man, at home, running down the stairs in socks!
First ride of the following week, and things seem ok.

8 Likes

Sleeping Beauty +2 VO2max 3.7

Dark trail run postponed as other half had other commitments. We’ll test new lights out either tonight or tomorrow.

Marked this one down as very hard, wasn’t an all out effort, just a case of focussing and getting the work done and ignoring the pain on last couple of sets.

Maybe last few days, trail half marathon and that OUs session at weekend has built up a bit of fatigue in these old legs, they were doing their best to persuade me to call time on workout… but I won the argument :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Last threshold/over-under session for this block. One more vo2 max workout on thursday + 14h of Z2 throughout the week and then rest

10 Likes

Ansel Adams +3.

3 sets of 10 minute 50/20’s @135%FTP. AFTER a Ramp Test. Just. Brutal. At 4:30am.

Started new training block this morning. Used AI FTP Detection yesterday, and thought the result was in the wheelhouse but wanted to test anyway. Wasn’t quite where it landed me but know this is typical for me coming off a recovery week and trying to work hard in the early morning vs. afternoon/fueled/warmed-up/etc. Bumped the first set down to 95%… OK. Second set up to 97%… Made it through, sloppy. 3rd set tried to do 3@99%, 3@97%, 3@95% (all based off new FTP assessment) and was trashed in the middle, finished the last two repeats strong after some half interval back-pedalling but I’m still kind of

a mess at work right now.

9 Likes

Lollllllll what’s that? Aside from time missed due to illness or concussion (none of which got to the point of 2 complete weeks of nothing, and it’s hard to call that planned rest, anyway)…well…I’d have to go back to my paper logs. Maybe summer 2013 when I tore my hamstring? I’ve definitely taken stretches of easy weeks with amounts to mental health amounts of exercise, most recently in late September.

I think my most likely issue is that I did a month of not sleeping for 30 hours every 3 days in December/early January and tried to train through it.

Monadock was in my calendar tonight I thought it went well but I see the changes to Levels they brought in actually made it a decrease in the Vo2Max PL :joy:

Calendar

Edit: I forgot to say that the local shop has had no bananas for a couple of weeks :scream: So tonight’s workout was done on a Nakd bar pre ride and a Graze protein flapjack during it. Lol, a fkake of that got stuck in my throat for the 3rd last interval. I managed to get it out for the penultimate interval and my most powerful 2 minutes for 2 years.

6 Likes

Yeah that sleep schedule sounds brutal. :weary:
Always enjoy clicking the thread to be amazed at some of the workouts you pull off. Hopefully you get to recharge and back to full strength soon!

1 Like

San Joaquin that’s my jam! Love +3, 50 20’s, but the after party recovery is rough. Good Job!

Vo2 intervals
10x 2:30 Ramp up @110% FTP to @125% FTP
Rest intervals 2min @65% FTP

How many times a week do you do Vo2 intervals?
Can Vo2 intervals be done two days in a row?

6 Likes

Just two “short” runs
3km Zwift, testing some settings

4km ZLDR run

Did first 3km at 3% incline and a tempo pace for 1.5km
Last 1km was done at 20% incline, 5kph (12k/m) (200m elevation gain)

Just noted course for Ultra, start is a long climb, so will have to get into some speed hiking as incline wont be efficient to run for me, average according to veloviewer is 13.3%, so going to have to get more incline sessions in!

5 Likes