What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

A SST recovery ride :wink: after SST O/Us yesterday and a longer SST session tomorrow. Basically doing SST til I can SST no more! PS - SST!

16 Likes

Very nice job! Did this one a couple weeks ago (only a few days after FTP test) and it was brutal!

I’ve basically been using SSLV as an outline/minimum required and adjusting workouts up depending on available time and feel. Fortunately I’ve been feeling great and have had time to mostly do +1 or +2 over prescribed along with aerobic in between and a 30 minute recovery spin every evening. I keep weekends off for family time and manage to cram ~600 TSS into M-F!

Today was supposed to be “Jepson” but there were no variants… when this happens I dig through the catalog and track down something similar but almost like what I would expect a +1 or +2 to be… this led me to “Trojan”, a sneaky beast of a workout.

I can tell you for sure that I’ll never complain about steady state Threshold workouts ever again! Those neuromuscular tags are insanely difficult as the work progresses!

I do have one bone to pick with @Nate_Pearson or @chad… it really hurt my heart/pride when the 95% moments were tagged as sweet spot! :joy: Those certainly didn’t feel like sweet spot!

Seriously though, I feel like I learned a lot from completing this beast and will definitely work it in again in the future as IMHO it is underutilized!

20 Likes

Chad’s workouts go to 11.

4 Likes

On the topic of fail…

Last week was a good old fashioned overload week, add several dashes of work stress, holiday shopping, Christmas card letter writing, and preparing to spend some time in the mountains :christmas_tree: :snowboarder: :snowman_with_snow: and that means I’ve been burning the candle at both ends.

Yesterday’s indoor workout (recorded on Garmin 530, so TR thinks its outside):

After trying a short recovery and failing, pulled the plug and all I could think of was this song:

“I have never failed to fail
Heeeeeyyyyyy ey ey ey ey
Heeeeeyyyyyy ey ey ey ey
Heeeeeyyyyyy ey ey ey ey”

Embrace the fail :metal: You know you’re right.

12 Likes

This was my first attempt at Carpathian Peak + 2 last March

10 Likes

And this is Carpathian Peak +2 Today with my FTP about 10 pts higher. Yes, you can increase fitness after age 65

28 Likes

Congratulations!! Nice work!! Higher FTP too!

3 Likes

My husband asked me where all the pecan praline chex mix was. I responded “you know this is a build week!”

20 Likes

I’ve started counting down the prescribed workouts before my A race. It’s surprisingly motivating. Much like the people on this thread!

Only 209 to go! That number looks so small now.

I’m glad I went back to SSB1 MV for the silly season. The first few workouts seemed like a bit of a joke because my legs were fresh.
I’m very aware that this will not last.

PS: The Garmin Ant+ dongle came back from the dead with a little help. That means I get to spend my stupid tax on bike stuff right?

16 Likes

My first time doing Carillon and it’s on +2 increment. Tbh, it’s little tiring with its optional quadrant drill. lol
Been on SSBHV I for 3 weeks and now I feel the fatigue has catchin up.
Fortunately tomorrow is easy day. Need some advice guys. should i let go the recovery ride (Pettit 39 TSS) and just sleep or better still do it?

15 Likes

If you’re questioning it, and you’re feeling the fatigue, then sleep! Especially since you’re on week 3 meaning you likely have some tough workouts this weekend to achieve before the recovery week is here.

4 Likes

And on the note of recovery…I believe I need a short recovery period after last week. I had a short recovery week two weeks ago, where I did a long FTP test on Saturday then a week of fairly intense workouts culminating in the Rockhouse death last Saturday. I’m still suffering from…I mean reaping the benefits of that workout…

Yesterday’s workout was way rough and today was not going to happen. I even skipped doing it this morning and opted for more sleep. Still a big ol nope in the evening too!

Tomorrow was supposed to be sweet spot. I think I’ll do recovery again. I’ll probably just push this entire week back. I’m not training for anything specific other than to get fast eventually anyway :sweat_smile:

16 Likes

Endurance session. Harder than it should have been. I have a tough workout tomorrow so I’m going to see how I feel in the morning. Might be the start of a cold.

15 Likes

Dade +4 again:

Yeah this was a lot easier with a 16-watt drop from two weeks ago. Coach Chad kept saying that if I increased the intensity it means I should do another FTP test and like I JUST DID ONE CHAD THANKS

18 Likes

Keeping at resistance mode, I do find it a lot more taxing mentally though:

Probably a sign that I actually NEED to do it this way. Let’s see if I’m getting better at it in the long run, right.

15 Likes

Kosciuszko +4

Wasn’t feeling it this morning. Adding the additional interval kinda sorta not really makes up for the fifth. The last four intervals are at 105% instead of 108%. I’m struggling a bit more with SusPB-HV this go around than last time.

17 Likes

Continuing my dive into the final weeks of ssb2. Lamarck. It’s no slouch.

18 Likes

It was hard and was happy it was over - counting down the minutes during the last part.
But I seem to do better in exercises with short, hard intervals than in long sustained threshold efforts. So, yes, I know, I should focus on the latter…

If you’re feeling like you might be on the verge of getting sick, take a break for a couple days and see if it’s accumulated fatigue or not. This isn’t the time to push through any potential illness. Trust me on that.

2 Likes