What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

Double brick session today, fueled only by black coffee and water.
Bike 1: Tunnabora - 4 with 5 minutes extended WU; straight into
Run 1: 5 km at 4:40 pace; straight into
Bike 2: Carter; straight into
Run 2; 5 km at 4:40 pace.

This was my goal and this also seems to be the limit of my current glycogen capabilities, since my legs started to feel noodly right in the final kilometer of the 2nd run.

10 Likes

Another mostly Z2 ride on the rollers for rest week. Fridays would normally be a day off, but all I’ve done is Z2 this week, so the energy has to go somewhere, or I get cranky. I’ve been meaning to give Rouvy a try, so I got it set up, and picked a 27 km 1,400m climb I actually rode this summer, the Kaunertal Gletscher (Glacier). Really liked it, I’ll have to try it out on the Kickr, too, so that the climbs are simulated (I just went for a lower cadence on the rollers). The last shot is a picture I took on the real ride, happened to get take a shot on Rouvy of the same spot. :smile:

11 Likes

15mins recovery intervals just seem too long even at start of base training (week 1). So dropped it down to 10 mins and tagged 15mins z2 on the end.

11 Likes

Squeezed in a quick tempo workout this am.

10 Likes

After hardly doing any threshold since September, that was a nice reminder that sweetspot is pretty easy.

19 Likes

Tallac+3 today a lot of work after Mary Austin-1 yesterday ! Day rest tomorrow to be ready for final week of ssb2

10 Likes

Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 15.48.56

Absolutely brutal session today!!

8 X 8 @95%

2 x 20 @88%

Best ever 4hr power at least :slight_smile:

17 Likes

My third time taking this test now. The first 2.5 months ago was a complete fail going out too hard and stopping at 21 minutes, I averaged 211w and just took 95% of that as I had paced it more like a 20 minute test than a TTE. The second one I did properly and got an FTP of 205 with TTE of 35 minutes. Today I got 211 and TTE of 32 minutes. I was kind of meh about about, until I looked back and realized only 2.5 months I ago I averaged those same watts and died an awful death at 21 minutes, while this time it only got tough the last 2-3 minutes! I also under-paced the first 10 minutes of this final test which may have made the difference of 2-3 watts, but I’d be grasping at straws there. I’m happy with the results; now time to put in some work!

215 was my stretch goal, and while I did not make that, I’m close and know I will next test. That will be the highest my FTP has ever been!

16 Likes

Screenshot_20201205-131116
McAdie +1. This one actually felt easier than Palisade last week. I know this one is considered by many to be one of the toughest over unders in the catalogue, so that I felt as strong as I did is really motivating and exciting. I think I needed the push from last week’s session to remind my legs and heart about these kinds of efforts. Feels more like the bread and butter burn I’m used to now.

Also, I’m not posting every workout throughout the week now because of time commitments. Been nailing every workout and haven’t skipped a single session yet. In other words, I’m very eager for that recovery week next week and to see my progress the following week.

16 Likes

Exact same here! Big day of nothing tomorrow - trying not to think about Spencer +2…

2 Likes

Kaweah. Hurt more than I expected. Just felt hard to keep my cadence high. But I got on the bike right after waking up with no coffee or food. Did take in 125 grams carbs during the ride

14 Likes

Haha yes spencer+2 is a brute !

1 Like

Kennedy Peak today, not too bad

15 Likes

Warlow for me today:

Did well. Had a planned break/KitKat around 55 mins, and an unplanned one in the middle of the last section. Got into Zwift Level 17 and was awarded the stripey socks!

14 Likes

15 Likes

Or as I named it, "Jim - 0 / Palisade - 6".

My last post in this thread was all “pat on my own back”, so in fairness, time to share one where I fell on my face.

I’ve been cruising along and really pleased with how I was doing w SSBMV-I. I even had the hubris to wonder if my FTP should be set higher. Hah!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: And then the wheels came off the wagon. I had Palisade queued up yesterday, but bailed after the warmup when I felt it wasn’t in the cards. Today I tried again and while a little better, it just wasn’t meant to be.

I’ve had to juggle some workouts and shift things around, but I was on a roll and managed my last VO2 just fine. But that was then and this is now. Anyway, it’s very humbling and illuminating to see how the body calls the shots, regardless of what’s up in my plan. Fortunately, I have some wiggle room in my plan, so I have options here to regroup for another go at Palisade before moving on. Onward!

15 Likes

Wright Peak -1, biggest TSS workout of SSB1 HV and totally nailed it, barely hitting 160 during the last couple of mins. As a bit of backstory, I had started the phase with an increased ftp of 305 (from 295) just to see how I could handle slightly more difficult stuff.

Got along fine for a couple of weeks but as intervals got longer I backed off to 300 and eventually back to 295 so I didn’t bite off more than I could chew (the workouts were more plain hard vs hard but totally doable). So this one was super easy at 295w ftp. Tomorrow is 4x20 @ 90%, which should be easy enough as well. I might give 300w a go to start off SSB2 but we’ll see!

16 Likes

SS90 1 x 120mins

16 Likes

That was actually quite a bit of work - never in doubt, but not particularly pleasant after a good threshold session yesterday.

17 Likes

Did Leconte today to finish the 14 weeks of Sweet Spot I & II plus 2 weeks of Build between the phases that plan builder gave me. It was hard. But I’m very happy with the trophies for “All Time” bests on the last 3 “hard” workouts. Gives me a lot of confidence.

I started in September this year for the Tour of Flanders Sportive in April and am far ahead of where I normally am. Hoping to keep that momentum.

13 Likes