What workout did you do today? (2020, part 2)

A good couple of days, FTP/5min test yesterday. First time into Z4+ for 6 weeks so ecstatic with the results. Backed it up with 5 hours today :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Palisade. Been a bit since I posted in here. Been busy with work, some other hobbies and keeping up with consistency of the mid volume plan. For the first time in a while, I felt challenged by over unders with Palisade today. Usually consider these my bread and butter, but the heart rate was elevated a bit so had to suffer that little bit more through the overs. Happy with my progress year over year though. Doing pr base numbers right now.

17 Likes

Disaster done! Felt a right calf twinge just after the final threshold interval, then left hamstring during the first vo2 interval, then right quad during fireworks. Thank goodness none of them turned into a full cramp and I made it through!

29 Likes

@runriderandi wait! you extended the worst part of the workout? LOL I was dying for that tiny endurance interval to end :rofl:

anyway,

Sorry for being the creepy quiet guy but I had some audio issues during this. Was fun anyway, thanks all.

23 Likes

Marry Austin -1. certainly more doable than the full version by my recollection from the last time I did SSB2. nonetheless, not an easy one at the end of 4 weeks of load already.

12 Likes

Another one from the Thanksgiving Disaster party:

So I guess recovery week is over. This was ugly but I survived thanks to moral support from the rest of the nutjobs. Fireworks continue to be absolutely the worst thing in the entire workout catalog.

24 Likes

@JMT nice work. I had this scheduled but went back to retry Baird from last week as that was a fail. Ended up with something pretty close to compliance:

The third set started a downward spiral. I tried cutting the 90/30s down to 60/60s then decided to give myself two minutes of backpedaling to hit the last two as prescribed. They went down, then amazingly I held the 65% for 15 minutes, which is always the hardest mentally for me.

It was the embodiment of Chad’s commentary: “Upper body draped over the bars” :smiley:

Looking at other attempts at that family of workouts, it appears i hadn’t completed it in the last three years, which was probably when I had a wheel-on trainer without the resistance set properly… So I’m going to chalk this up to a first. Huzzah

12 Likes

I think you’re doing something wrong with that workout :wink: What do the coaches say - “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should?”

1 Like

He does everything good with the workout :slight_smile: The base workout does not do what is should :wink:

1 Like

Holla at this morning’s Disaster crowd! Clearly the dumbest thing I’ve ever done on a trainer and zero chance I would have done this without group workouts.
This was actually my first group workout and I think I might be hooked now. Not on Disaster though. Once a year seems about right. Fireworks is ridiculous after 3:30 on the bike.

21 Likes

97% for the first couple after blowing up during Darwin the other day. After that it was 100% for the rest and it hurt like it should.
(Nothing like you Disaster nut jobs though. You’re all sick and need professional help).

It’s 34c outside today so I cranked up the AC and had the room at 21c. So much better than 27c.
Take that Mary!

18 Likes

Top stuff! I’m looking forward to moving out of SSB to SPB… i think

1 Like

It’s a challenging phase. If you ever needed proof that TR works, in my opinion, this is it. Good luck :+1:

1 Like

Great job, @adski! Totally agree - That last part at 65% is so hard!

Do agree :grin: with what the coaches say, reason for rest intervals on sweetspot I think Chad said is so you can complete the duration. You might not be able to complete a straight 60 minutes with current fatigue but with rest intervals you can do 4x15. I am completing the sets so think that is okay, maybe I should reduce the length, but it’s just a bit extra TSS at target levels. Also I’ve stated before other reasons, going cold, legs switching off.

What I now try to do is never increase intensity of intervals, which could change zones. Will decrease if required!

Am aware altering workouts can also cause failures down the line with a build up of fatigue. My broken trainer issues and rides outside have caused this recent problem!

4 Likes

Leavitt +3 was in my calendar today. I took outdoors not expecting much after a relatively strong ride yesterday. I was pretty much right. It was scheduled to be a Sweet spot session. I did the first 2 blocks at tempo and dropped to endurance for the 5 remaining blocks.

Screenshot_20201129-145713_Strava

9 Likes

Fasted Ochoco for the weekend.

15 Likes

Coach assigned a “mini Disaster” kitchen sink workout. Best part was the Hawk grabbing lunch and flying 10 feet in front of me!

7 Likes

You forgot about the football.:wink:

1 Like

Antelope +5 with some extra 15 mins CD and a light 3 km jog with 5:00/km pace brick :slightly_smiling_face:Untitled

11 Likes