What to do if you exercise in the morning on an empty stomach and ingest coffee and have a stomachache

I usually get up at 6am, drink a 300ml cup of Americano and work out on an empty stomach around 6:30am.
But after half an hour, due to high intensity exercise, I found myself a little pain in the stomach, because of caffeine stimulation of the stomach, or because of high intensity exercise, because I need to go out to work at 8 o’clock, may not be able to do breakfast, perhaps eat overnight oats or so, but time is short, eat may need to exercise immediately, I do not know if you have similar problems, thanks in advance!

I try not to have caffeine on an empty stomach. Try having a slice of dry toast with your coffee pre-workout. I found if I have 2 slices, I am better off. (You can add some honey on top of the toast for an extra bit of carbs.)

3 Likes

Have a banana with your coffee before the workout. ALWAYS have breakfast afterwards.

3 Likes

Eat something? Doesn’t have to be an elaborate breakfast, a banana or a slice of bread will do.

5 Likes

Get a darker roast

HEALTH – Which coffee type is easier on the stomach: light or dark roast? - Comunicaffe International.

3 Likes

I am not so sure that having high intensivity workout in the morning after wakeup is good idea. I do frequently low intensivity (low Z2) fasted after cup of coffee after waking up. My reasoning to avoid high intensivity workouts in early mornigns are:

• Stress hormones are highest after waking up
  • I do not perform in moning fasted same level as later on day (training impact is hampered)
  • risk of injury while body has not waken up properly
  • Dehydration after sleep

P.S Dark roast is the way to podium :wink:

1 Like

simple answer is don’t have the coffee and see how you feel.

If time is short get up earlier, have breakfast after your workout.

1 Like

Pffft, you just need more coffee!

2 Likes

Where does going to the loo factor in? If I wake, go to the loo and then have coffee I normally take a 2nd visit shortly afterwards before the ride.

4 Likes

I’ve had a similar issue in the past and eating something small/portable like a granola bar or banana during the warmup seems to help. (I’ve been known to hit the snooze button one too many times to eat beforehand.)

Make sure you’re properly hydrated leading into the workout as well, starting the night before.

2 Likes

I cant really comment…i have a fairly iron stomach, and drink a pot of coffee a day :grimacing:

I’d recommend NOT skipping food both before and after a high intensity workout though. Skipping food pre workout isnt a huge deal especially if you take a bunch of calories in during the ride…but I’d definitely eat immediately after in that case. Skipping breakfast completely and then worrying about it hours after a tough ride is not a recipe for success IMO.

Being 5 hrs into your day, and being at essentially -500 to -1000+ calories ingested is not good.

2 Likes

I’d eat a couple bites of a clif bar or something while warming up. Neither exercise nor caffeine feel great to me on an empty stomach.

2 Likes

I eat a banana or some Fig bars while warming up.

If you have time to make/drink coffee you have time for a quick bite of food which would make the difference for me.

Working at 8am isn’t even that early. I’d try to find the time to eat before and after. Even if it’s not a full breakfast. Prep it all the night before and you’re good to go.

2 Likes

Yea…that’s typically my routine. Up at 5:30, coffee and a piece of toast with preserves (basically just sugar…), 60 minute workout at ~6:15 with maybe 50g of gatorade mix on the bike, proper breakfast when out of the shower - usually kodiak cakes, oatmeal, or an egg/eggwhite sandwich.

1 Like

I eat a whole wheat saltine. Works for me.

2 Likes

if you really don’t have time to eat after, that’s probably a good use case for a recovery drink (commercial mixes make things convenient, but something like chocolate milk or a smoothie prepared the night before will also do the trick.) Easy enough to drink something on your way out the door, and there’s lots of reasonably balanced portable options nowadays- doesn’t necessarily have to be a full sit-down meal.

I wouldn’t sweat a 1-hour workout on no breakfast if it works for you, but not eating until lunchtime probably won’t do you any favours from a performance standpoint.

Drink tea in place of the coffee, easier on the stomach’s and still has caffeine.

1 Like

I’ve fallen into the “I don’t have time to eat” trap before too. I think that for me, this was because I think of breakfast as what you see on Instagram. Athletes eating stacks of pancakes or waffles. In reality, the others here are correct. If you have time for coffee, you have time for a silce of toast with honey or jam. It doesn’t seem appetizing when you first wake up if you’re used to eating long after you wake up, but it does go down easy.

Another one that works for me is eating a few peanut butter filled pretzels. Carbs, salt, and a little fat, and it’s fun to see the dog get all excited about peanut butter. :smiley:

2 Likes

:face_vomiting: That’s like asking someone to take a punch in the face instead of a hug.

2 Likes