What FTP should I use following Ramp Test

Hi,

I started Time Trialling just over a year ago. Been cycling for about 5 years. I normally do 2,000 to 2,500 miles a year at a decent pace on rolling loops. Now I want to up my game a bit on TT’s etc. in the coming season.

I can currently beat 22mins for 10 mile TT and I can beat the hour for 25 mile. Current PB 58 mins.

I have never done any structured training program.

I am brand new to TrainerRoad (joined last week). I have done a couple of little workouts and I did the 8 minute FTP test in TT position. This gave FTP of 278.

I decided to do a ramp test today in TT position and that gave FTP of 301.

Tomorrow I will start Sweet Spot Base mid volume.

As I have never done any structured training such as this, I am thinking I shouldn’t go so tough on myself and I should adjust my FTP settings to 278 instead of 301 to make this first Sweet Spot Base program a little easier.

What do you think I should do? Make FTP 278 or 301 ?

Gulp!!!

Go with 301, it will be pretty obvious if its too high. You’ll probably surprise yourself!

You really can’t take a ramp FTP test wrong, and the ramp test is the current recommended test. So I would use the 301. As you start your base training you will know if that FTP is too high after a week or two. If you are unable to finish the workouts as prescribed without lowering the intensity or shortening the duration, your FTP is correct. Workouts should be tough and challenging but doable. You have another FTP test coming up in six weeks, so I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

If it were me, I would start conservative and use 278 or an average of the two since you are newer to structured training AND are tackling SSB mid which sounds like it will be an increase in volume for you. If you find the workouts are a little too easy then ramp up your FTP incrementally until your at the 301. FWIW I’ve found out the hard way that one should choose the lower volume plan if not sure which one to use, you can always add in extra workouts as needed. Coach Chad, on certain podcasts, discussed this as well and I think the overall theme is to start conservative and ratchet it up as needed.

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies. I think I will give 301 a go and adjust down a little if necessary. As this is my first program, I think any structured training would be good for me.

I am far more motivated here that I was in haphazard Zwiftland.

1 Like