We're No Strangers to Ramp Tests - You Know the Rules, and So Do I

On my “World Worst Ramp Test” playlist thread [World's Worst Ramp Test Playlist - #9 by Tim_P] – the esteemed @Captain_Doughnutman issued a challenge to complete a ramp test with “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley on repeat.

CHALLENGE COMPLETED

Will your FTP go up? Will your FTP go down? Will your power fizzle out and desert you?

Your mileage may vary but I posted a 6 watt gain coming off SSB1. So let’s go ahead and jump to conclusions that Rick Astley makes everyone Ramp Test better 100 percent of the time.

Now, @Jonathan might say this is “bro science.” I just want to tell him how I’m feeling. I’ve gotta make him understand…

It’s Always Gonna Ramp You Up, It’s Never Gonna Let You Down.

23 Likes

I would definitely get a lower ftp just so I could stop listening.

7 Likes

is there a decent metal cover of it?

1 Like

Hard to do a decent cover of an indecent “song”.

He puts in a good effort:

1 Like

You are crazy. I love it!! :crazy_face:

Always good to not take things too seriously and you’ve done that in spades with this stunt!

Your commemorative t-shirt is in the mail. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah… nah!!!

That’s actually not the worst thing I’ve ever heard. I could ramp test to that. Would’ve been better if he lost the Satanic metal voice behind the chorus, IMO.

To be fair, he is Nordic, and that’s kind of their thing, soooo…

I still prefer ‘Satanic metal voice’ over ‘Satanic Astley voice’. :laughing:

3 Likes

Rick is a treasure and of course listening to that song will make your FTP go up. It’s just science.

I never stopped rick rolling people because that song is too good not to share.

2 Likes

I agree, the song isn’t that bad.

Now if someone really wants a challenge, try a ramp test with Rebecca Black - Friday on repeat.

7 Likes

@Nate_Pearson mentioned Beastie Boys during a podcast and it brought back some middle school memories busting out some freestyle on my BMX with the boom box playing in the background. So I pulled up some Beastie Boys during in Spotify during my last hard workout and it was freakin awesome. I wouldn’t blast this stuff in my car anymore but highly recommended for hard work on the bike.

3 Likes

I can see a @Nate_Pearson ‘causation/correlation’ statement pending

Now try Disaster with only Astley.

3 Likes

Ramp to this.

I dare you.

1 Like

REM - Everybody hurts…now there is a challenge! :joy:

1 Like

Satan, is that you?! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I like the idea of Rick Astley, it’s pretty uptempo.

My horror track would be Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh. Such a slow dirge. I don’t think my FTP would improve at all!

1 Like

Pretty sure that would be unconstitutional.

1 Like

Challenge accepted!

2 Likes

I’m up voting this just so that I can’ down-vote it.

1 Like