Well... I got COVID. Starting over

I’m 3 weeks out and light headed when I walk up flight of stairs. Big time bummer after spending year recovering a pinned hip. I hope you are doing better. My big goal now is just walking outside.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing…
I’m on the mend from a bad case of Covid that sent me to the ICU for 4 days and to a recovery room for 2 before I got discharged. I took one entire week at the house to finish recovering and glad to report everyday got better. I ate a lot of good stuff because I went into the hospital malnourished from not eating enough due to loss of taste and smell. I’m back to work and the fatigue and dizziness are gone. I’ve been on the trainer doing short recovery intensity 30-45 min sessions, then a 1 hr session and a couple of easy rides around the neighborhood. My heart rate is about 10-15 beats higher for that level of effort in my pre-covid days. Legs is not a problem, just my HR. Today I tried Beech, but ended up backing down the intensity after about 20 min into it because my HR was already higher than expected during the entire 70% interval. My guess is that easy recovery sessions will be going on for a while. I don’t know when I’ll start feeling normal, pre covid HR’s, but hope it will be sooner than later.

4 Likes

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Go easy for quite a while – how long that needs to be varies. I just had a big setback at 10+ months with new symptoms for the past week.

1 Like

So glad I found this thread and the positivity here. Good to find stories of people recovering. The amount of suffering going around is so tremendous and yet we’re the only family we know that’s gotten sick. So the mental symptoms are far worse than our physical symptoms (fatigue/slight cough/foggy).

There’s a new term I’ve discovered: “acute phase”. Glad I checked in here and am just going to stop all intense stuff until I’m well. Thanks again for stories of recovery and hope!

1 Like

A JAMA cardiology study of March 2021 shows that the prevalence of heart inflammation is below 0.6% on over 700 young athletes (MLB, MLS, …) after COVID. These are very good news.

2 Likes

About 4 weeks into long distance tri plan. Was going well until getting covid last week. Haven’t trained since and don’t know when I’ll be back up to training again, another week or even 2?
Do I start the plan again when I’m better or try and pickup the plan where it should be?
First ironman in July, had a load of off-season setbacks then when things were starting to go good I got covid.

I ended up with mild covid on the tuesday prior to x-mas. I really only felt bad/sick for less than a full day and then had little bit of a cough and sniffles for a few more days (but felt totally fine). I tested positive less than a week after getting my booster, I think I actually got exposed the day after getting the booster.

Anyway, I took most of that week off the bike, but did an hour endurance ride on xmas and felt reasonably good, just a little hacky afterwards. I’ve tried to get back into the full swing of things with some tempo work, but the power really isn’t there. I’m not sure I can blame much of it on Covid since my volume was dropping quickly since mid November, but I don’t think the covid helped.

I feel fortunate that my case seemed pretty mild and hopefully there won’t be any significant lingering affects. I am getting the training plan rolling for 2022 right now, so it’s time to ramp things up and see how it goes.

1 Like

My best efforts were for neigh. I i too got covid.
Worst sickness in my life, and no stranger to January viruses.
Have never ever had this many systems out of wack, this sever for this long.
Learning lots from audible book, the virus has affected my vision too, current eyeglasses prescription isn’t proper all of a sudden.
Doing everything to get over this. I wanna ride.
Anyone have adverse delusional mental episodes?

Cheers Bruh"s

2 Likes

Gah! Sorry guys. It’s real and it’s out there. Be careful out there and be safe!
-Hugh

I just finished a good bout with Covid and am five days past my last fever, this is great news!

However, I am still sadly thinking my body has a ways to go until I can get back to training as my energy is low and body feels like it needs a TON of rest. I went on a 5 mile flat MTB ride with kids yesterday and felt like I overdid it (I mean, my power probably peaked around something impressive like 80 watts).

Anyone else out there having a not so smooth re-entry from Covid? Specifically Omicron?

1 Like

I moved your post under an existing on on the topic.

Additionally, search shows a number of existing topics you can review:
https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/search?q=covid%20%23training%20in%3Atitle%20tags%3Asickness%20order%3Aviews

I got it first week in January 2022. I took one full week off (had active symptoms). Following week I did a couple of easy 30-45 minute rides just to assess how I feel. First ride was 30 minutes at 50% of FTP and it did not feel easy. About one week after that easy ride I was able to start doing SS workouts with relative ease.

1 Like

I tested positive 25th November, took a whole month off the bike and started back on 23rd December, started a MV SSB plan but didn’t do a Ramp test to start it off. I’ve been completing the works at either Easy or Moderate survey response but I have tbh I’m still reluctant to do anything above short durations at say 102/103%, I’m very wary of what damage may have been caused to my heart.

I use the Fatmaxxer app a lot so can see where my LT1 HR is etc etc and see changes from day to day based on how much rest between sessions I’ve had.

Anyone else also feeling this reluctance to push hard?

Fresh from nature;

3 Likes

Appreciate that but that’s all waaaaaay over my head.

Anyone else out there having a not so smooth re-entry from Covid? Specifically Omicron?

Myself, wife and two children had Omicron about 3 weeks ago. I believe its the second time I have had Covid after getting very ill early 2020 (no tests available at the time). Both times have had the same pattern, a few days symptomatic, then around 10 days of low energy after that - like a hangover that only reduces 10% a day. But in terms of symptoms I can safely say that the first time (pre-vaccines etc) was 100x worse - 5 days of heavy fevers, really violent coughing etc, latest bought was less than a normal cold.

On the recent bought, I started doing easier sweet spot workouts during the “hangover” period, on the first couple of times, took it easy but could see my HR about 10bpm above normal, then felt tired again the next day. Two weeks down the line now and managed a 50 mile outdoors ok at the weekend.

What seems to have a played a bit of a part is that I only had my booster (3rd dose) just before Christmas, my wife had hers back in September (she is medical), whilst her symptoms with Omicron were no worse than mine, the tiredness has lingered a bit longer.

2 Likes

I also got Omicron (I presume) after being triple jabbed (booster in October). Awful sore throat to the point I could not sleep, three days of fever, and then GI issues for another 2 days (fun times). Definitely more than a cold. Mild is such an ambiguous word…anything more than mild is hospitalized?

I’m on day 8 and I really want to train but I just don’t feel up to it. This happened in my recovery week at the end of SSBLV2 and I’m sure my fitness has tanked, but I have a feeling rushing back into it would be detrimental at this point. Calling it a “hangover” @rhorn is super accurate. I no longer really have any specific symptoms, just this blah feeling that won’t go away that does get a bit better each day.

I’m still planning on doing a week of zone 1/2 when I finally get back on the bike before going into Build - but I might even replace build and do another SSB block instead of going straight into anaerobic workouts. Gonna be > 50 F tomorrow and this weekend - I hope I can even get out and spin around in that weather and take advantage of that after the cold/snow we’ve had. Just need to feel up for it.

2 Likes

I’m on day 11. I still haven’t gone back on. Rapid test was still testing slightly positive yesterday. It probably doesn’t help that I have two small children that require most of my attention when I’m not working. Whatever the case I definitely feel some reluctance to go back on the bike given that my energy levels are pretty terrible at this point. My plan was to wait until my body told me I was feeling good enough to ride, but a part of me wonders when the hell that will be. Also got the seemingly “mild” Omicron. Thanks to my kids’ daycare.

2 Likes

Tested positive. Day 3. It just feels like a cold.
I have my first race of the season on Sunday - grass roots enduro mash up style. If I test negative by then I’m just going to go and play in the sunshine and do as many runs as I feel like.

When I read this back it makes me giggle at myself. Slightly grumpy F*CK You 2022.

Hello everyone. I am in the middle of SSB2 LV when I got the virus last March 1 then tested negative March 11. After getting the negative result. I have started doing some light work like walking for an hour or doing easy spinning (lazy mountain, petit). So far I’m feeling OK, but I know my fitness level is not what used to before getting covid.

Would like to get some opinions/advise how should I resume my training? I have an upcoming race in June.

Do you think I need to restart to Base 1? or continue my current plan as is? or adjust to MV as workouts in MV are a bit easier than LV?