Well... I got COVID. Starting over

Following… Am still testing positive, tested positive first on March 8th (last Tuesday).

Had a moderate cold and just worked from home, feel fine now but a bit phlegmy - if it had been a normal cold pre-pandemic I would definitely be trying to train normally by now (for better or for worse).

I did a PL 1.0 endurance workout on Sunday just because I could not face another day on the sofa, then a 1.7 (Colosseum -3) on Monday, and a 45 minute PL 3.4 last night (West Vidette). West Vidette was probably a step too far - felt quite hard. I’ll probably go back to easier ones and maybe set my FTP down a few watts.

(I note there’s another thread similar here, maybe they need merged? @mcneese.chad )

I´ve got Covid test positive on the 28th of april.
The first four days I´ve had an temperature, sore throat and cough. Yesterday I´ve had my first negative test, but still my throat is feeling not as it should be. Now is the question since a few days, when I´m getting back to training? I´ve read a lot here, but how long do you stayed of the bike?

I´m a racer and did the whole winter a high volume custom plan approx. 10h to 20 hours per week.
I don´t want to start to early with the training or is someone here that had a appoinment at the doctor before starting the training again?
What´s your experience?

Thanks in advance.

I got it in the end of January, and got my butt kicked for a couple weeks like most above. Started to feel better, but slowly… After three weeks I started light Z1-2, which would work for about a week. Then took a hard run of 4 miles and then relapses for 3 days. Yoyo’ed back and forth of feeling okay then crappy and super tired all the way through MAY. It was awful. Haven’t even FTP tested yet. Feeling better now after intermittent fasting and some other naturopathic meds. Awful.

I am on day 3 of feeling rough but tested positive yesterday. Unfortunately I am supposed to be riding the biketransalp in 2 weeks. 7 days, 550km and 18k metres of climbing.

Really not sure what my best course of action is. Sore throat, cough bit achey and tired but nothing awful so far however, trying to go and do my first 7 day event and first time riding in the alps seems like its not a great idea so soon after testing positive?

General guidance is nothing for a week or so and then 50% FTP for a few weeks which is not compatible with riding my event!

I know there’s been discussion of elevated RHR, and somewhat elevated HR at work.

Has anyone seen an increase in LTHR or anything?

My Max HR has always been ~170bpm. I’ve had an elevated RHR and HR at SS etc until very recently. RHR isn’t consistently back to normal but I’m starting to see it back under 40bpm every now and then which is a good sign. My HR at SS seems normal. I just did a Threshold workout and spent over 20min at 161bpm which seemed high for the effort and breathing and ICU tells me my LTHR has increased. This seems unlikely. Is it a possible side effect of the Vid? Or just a sign I was riding too hard for my fitness level which hasn’t caught up yet?

I (31yo) got COVID back in April. 3 days of high fever where I was just trying to get through the days in bed.

Once the fever was gone I stayed off the bike for another 3 days before attempting an easy ride outside. That set me back and symptoms (especially cough and tiredness) worsened again.

That’s when I decided to stay another full week off the bike before attempting a very easy 30m-1h ride again. Taking a full day of rest between every ride, and just slowly trying to ramp back up.

After 2 weeks of this I felt good enough to start doing intensity again. 2 months later I finished a 245km gran fondo with 3000m of elevation, which I certainly did not expect given the setback in April.

I’ve seen the following infographic on introducing exercise again after COVID and from my own experience, it seems very reasonable.

2 weeks after catching covid, I did a couple of super easy 45min rides this weekend. Had to stop a couple of times when i got breathless but it felt great to be back out on a bike again.

So I had Covid (I assume BA5) 2 weeks of fairly mild symptoms (3 days of fever then slightly stuffy and fatigued for 10 days) I got back on the bike after 2 weeks, just doing zone 1 for an hour a day with a couple of rest days but have been pretty fatigued. I did that for a week and now have had 2 full days off and I feel fine but my resting heart rate is 60 instead of my usual 47. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m starting to get a bit frustrated/bored/itchy feet!

Got covid last day of the 7 stages MTB race… and had mild symptoms for a 2-3 days but took 10 days off and stared with 1h easy and then 1h30m easy, day off and then 2hrs wit efforts. Everything is fine and RPE and HR are in line with power but RHR and HRV started going bad after I stared ride again… (it was ok last few days before stared riding again)…

Exactly the same here, wonder what’s going on with that and also not sure how to proceed. I’m being cautious and having a few more days off and seeing how my RHR does. Very frustrating.

I’m about to go for a ride or stay home…

Those getting sick summer 2022…I had Omicron late June early July. Back to normal in a couple weeks. Most of my family has had it. All back to normal from a few days to weeks. Almost every cyclist I ride with has had it. All but, 1 feels no lasting affects past initial symptoms. I feel like Omicron is extremely mild compared to initial COVID. Just saying rest easy. It’s not the end of the World.

Thanks, doesn’t feel like the end of the world, just very strange to have such an elevated RHR whilst feeling pretty much fine.

Been there as well.

I’ve grown up watching HR become THE metric from RPE (I’m old). Just my opinion and probably not popular but, I honestly think modern cycling over analyses most everything. Including HR. Going by feel should be a thing as much as what a Whoop says.

For what it’s worth, as another data point, my Covid symptoms started June 11, finally tested negative 19 days later, and it’s only the last two days (over 6 weeks since symptoms started) that my Hrv and rhr have been really good for two consecutive days.

Are you back to normal training?

I am back to normal training. Did nothing the first week, next two weeks I slowly ramped up with z2 work, normal intervals last 3 wks. No idea if this was optimal.

As background I am 44 yrs old and my symptoms were pretty mild— sort of bad for the first couple days (fever, headache, chills), after that just somewhat congested for a week or so.

Ugh. Thanks for the new information everyone, I have learned a lot here. I’m 53 and on day 6. I think I am finally over the projectile vomit phase :face_vomiting: after three days. I have a 700 km self supported bike packing Race August 14 in the Canadian Rockies. I think I am going to skip it from what I have been reading as it seems too much too soon. I have a 400 km gravel stage race a week later that I am riding as a trail ambassador. I can take it easy there after I have recovered more.

My wife is a covid Long hauler going on 5 months. I have no idea how she has managed it!

Yes Covid is a weird one. Some have an easier time than others it seems but it does seem that even a mild infection after it’s cleared with the main symptoms drags a little and it’s pretty important not to rush back. I’m a week past my main symptoms clearing and starting to return to normal ish energy levels. I did try training straight after the main symptoms resolved (2 weeks) but I felt pretty bad and RHR started going up again so had to have another week off. Slowly slowly and a bit slower than you’d think I think is probably good advice.

I had mild symptoms for a few days and then started feeling good (whoop went green and RHR was back) and after 7 days without symptoms started riding and then whoop data went south but I still feel good on and off the bike… whoop is bad even if I dont ride…