Weighted blanket recommendations & Ooler

Just bought my ooler because of the 25% sale. <$700 for the half king was too much to pass up. I had to take my weighted blanket off the past month or so because it’s too hot and my restlessness is clearly much higher without it. So, ooler it is, so I can get those blankets back on.

The blanket or the ooler? Not sure I could handle a heavy blanket without the ooler, but I still wish the ooler would get even cooler. And was quieter. But I agree with @trpnhntr, it is still completely worth the money.

Our cooling pad just sprung a leak so I’ve been without it a few days as we wait for a replacement. And in that time I’ve found myself sleeping on top of my heavy blanket :man_facepalming:

I think the new ooler pad is supposed to be an improvement, so maybe it’ll cool a little better? We’ll see. Even after a chat, Chili didn’t have any discounts on the pad itself. Cost $400 to replace. The codes only work on complete systems. That was a bummer.

Chili sent me a 25% discount code to share, so let me know if anyone ever wants it. As @russell.r.sage noted, they have their own 25% off code running right now too. They often have coupon codes, but 25% is not so common. So if anyone wants to try the ooler, now’s a good time.

One thing I noticed was that if you add an ooler to your cart, but don’t buy it, they will send you discounts starting at 15% and then going to 20% just by hesitating. The 25% is available to everyone right now so take advantage now if you are interested.

If you have the original Ooler pad you can improve how cold it feels by using it upside down.

Also, putting it on the higher speed mode in hotter weather for cooler temps works better.

On a hot day here a few weeks ago, in the middle of the night I lifted it off the ground and put it on my laptop desk where its been ever since and I am sure the performance has increased due to the better airflow around it (it is also closer to the open windows with the cool air outside)

Okay, I received my ooler two nights ago. Was very excited because I am a warm sleeper and frequently am kicking covers off in the middle of the night and then getting too cold with no covers and it’s just a restless cycle.

I set it at 64 the first night. I had it on boost before getting in bed and it got down to 66 by the time i got in bed and I set it to silent so my wife wouldn’t complain. The “coolness” was kind of subtle even though I have it on the “cooler” side. Definitely there, but not enough to chill me. I was able to sleep through the night with a sheet, blanket, and weighted blanket while NEVER feeling warm and never trying to kick out of my sheets. I consider that a win. Only negative is my oura ring must have been sideways or something because it did not really track my sleep. Lots of gaps.

Second night, even better because my oura ring tracked my sleep better. Same comfortably cool temp under all the blankets. I registered my lowest resting heart rate ever of 43 bpm. And had a mid-80’s HRV, which is about 20 over my average even though I had a high activity day. Respiratory rate was also about 1 breath lower.

I woke up both mornings with no problem, feeling refreshed. Based on the temp I have it set at, seems like my deep sleep is getting a big boost, but not as much my REM. Could just be small sample size and the fact my 4YO woke me up twice last night and the gaps the first night.

My one question is, is anyone able to get it below 65 degrees? I set it at 63 last night to see how cold I could get it and it doesn’t seem to want to go below 65/66 even though it’s advertised at 55. It’s summer, so maybe with the ambient temps, this is the best it can do, but would love any tips to make it colder. We crank the AC down to 68 at night so I would think the ambient temps aren’t such a barrier. Could it be airflow? Maybe the garage under our bedroom radiating some heat into the floor it is sitting on? Hose isn’t kinked and is full of water.

Couple of tips, and one way to test

First, tips - get it off the floor and don’t put it under your bed. This increases airflow and removes that as a possible problem.

You can also try setting the AC even colder, although 68 should be low enough that it can get to 60 or so at least

Now, how to test if its functioning correctly - set it to low when you aren’t in the bed and let it run for an hour or so - see how cold it gets. Bonus points - set the AC to what it will be when you’re sleeping to fully recreate the ambient air conditions

If it can’t get to 55 in those conditions you can (probably) exchange it for a replacement unit. If it can, then, most likely, you are the problem. Your body heat is overwhelming the unit and it will only be able to get so cold. In this case, if you want it colder, you’ll have to try less blankets/sheets (i.e. better airflow over the pad itself)

I have mine set on Low and have never seen it get below the mid-60s. I agree your room temperature will make a difference. I also agree it’s a subtle effect but, for me, makes a difference between sleeping under or over my weighted blanket.

I feel like my unit is too loud. Chili even said I could return it for warranty service. But I never sent it in b/c I didn’t want to be without it! Is your new one what you’d consider quiet?

No, it’s definitely not “silent” even on silent. My wife is ribbing me every chance she gets, but I think she may be jealous.

Update, today with it on high and pulled out from under the bed I’ve managed it down to 58. Doesn’t seem to want to go lower, but the room temp is probably 74 during the day.

Maybe the fan could use ceramic bearings? CeramicSpeed, Kogel, are you listening?

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone looked into the other cooling mattress/mattress pad options? I happened to be looking for one in the past few weeks and fortuitously this thread popped up. Thanks.

search the forum for ‘bedjet’ and you’ll hit some other stuff. i haven’t tried any others personally

I’ve looked at the Bedjet as well as a couple others. Not really sure how to differentiate in terms of efficacy and use between the Ooler and that, other than perhaps noise. Anyone know if there are any substantive differences between the various options? I have a feeling @Nate_Pearson already researched this topic.

The 8 Sleep Pod looks pretty cool as it has built in sleep tracking without requiring another wearable. However, it looks like you can only get a both sided version, not a single-sided version so it requires you to spend 2x the Ooler even if your spouse doesn’t care about it.

The Ooler was a bit of an experiment for me even though I think it will be a solution for a few years, if I knew my wife was interested and I knew it was beneficial for me specifically, I might have considered the 8 Sleep Pod.

I don’t think the bedjet gets cool enough. 66F is the minimum temp. It’s less than half the price, so could be a good option for someone less hot-blooded than me.

and BTW, I was honest about the noise the ooler makes, but it’s really nothing to complain about on “silent.” You know it’s on when you are awake, but it wouldn’t keep you awake. In fact, it’s kind of like white noise so may help you fall asleep.

I definitely run super hot so I need something that’s going to provide substantial cooling. Looking at the Ooler vs 8 Sleep, the differences I can see are more tracking with the 8 sleep along with what appears to be a better way to keep it from moving around on top of your mattress. Also about $250. They both appear to hit the same temps. Gotta think about this. Thank you.

Also consider Oura ring is $299 if you need the tracking separate.

I’ve had my Ooler reach 46 or so.

It’s important to remember that unlike ac or refrigeration, it uses a different technology to exchange heat. Therfore it’s performance depends on the external temperature so having good airflow and positioning is key.

Bearaby the Napper